PDA

View Full Version : bow and arrow help fletching..... any thing to do with bow and arrow

Go_army2
07-09-2007, 12:59 PM
how do you actually make an very good bow i need it to be a replica to an native american bow i do have a book but its kinda of confusing though so can any one supply me with info, pictures or even just an website please and thanks :)

woodzman
07-09-2007, 06:28 PM
Primitive Archer website is excellent. The Traditional Bowyers Bible is a good book that covers everything to do with making a self bow and arrows.

FVR
07-09-2007, 06:52 PM
Do you want to use it or just make a wall hanging.

If you want to use it and it is a replica, ya need to find out what kind of wood, and the style of bow. Indian tribes had their own styles of bows and arrows.

On the eastcoast they would not have made them of osage but rather hickory, elm, oak, or a few others.

Eastern bows seem to be longer where plains indian bows are shorter. Some have backings of sinew, skins, and grass. Some use horns and antlers.

Reginald Laubin has a great book, American Indian Archery. It describes and shows diff. tribe bows, woods, and dimensions.

Trad. Bowyers Bible I, II, and III are good also.

There is alot of good info on the net.

If you have an Indian tribes bow in mind, let me know and I will check my books.

Go_army2
07-09-2007, 09:59 PM
ok i have an tribe in my mind im thinking of cherokee beacuse i live in north carolina and thats part of region but yea i have read a book but its many crafts not just bow and arrow you know well i was thinking about getting ash but i dont know if the cherokke used them so if you can find any info in the books ill be pleased to hear it thanks as far as woodzman, i saw that website i thinking about buying just one issue you have any suggections?

Go_army2
07-09-2007, 10:00 PM
oh yea about the Traditional Bowyers Bible i9f i had to get one witch one should i get?

woodzman
07-09-2007, 10:27 PM
I cant really recomend any one issue of Primitive Archer, but you can find almost anything you would want to know about making a bow and the arrows by reading/searching the forums and archives. As far as Traditional Bowyers Bible goes I'd start with #1.

FVR
07-09-2007, 10:56 PM
Cherokee indians seemed to prefer oak, ash, hickory in the later years locust wood, honey or black. Bows are about 5' long, of flat , rectangular cross section, 1 3/4 inch wide above the handle tapering to 3/4 inch at the nocks.

They would heat their bows up and rub them down with bear oil.

The 60" bow is my fav. length.

Bowyers bible I would be your best bet. There are a few Indian archery books out there, do a search and they will go into detail the exact dim. of the Cherokee bow.

Bowyers Bible II has on pg. 76 a compl. desc. of the bow you speak of.

61 3/4 inch long.

Handle is 1 3/8 inch wide and 9/16 inch thick.

Limb tips are 7/8" wide.

It is your basic "D" bow.

This is the fun part.

FVR
07-09-2007, 11:02 PM
Here is a good website for building bows.

http://www.murraygaskins.com/abw.html#

Murray is a good guy, if you can get ahold of him. This site has been up forever and gives good directions if you don't want to wait for the books.

Go_army2
07-10-2007, 07:48 AM
thanks for all that and oh yea does that book have pictures or not? and thanks for the website. OK good the cherokkeused ash i have a storer near me witch sells planks witch are perrty thick but i was thinking of getting 5 feet of it and cuttingthat five feet and makeing about 1-1 1/2 thick sticks do you get wqhat i am saying?

woodzman
07-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Here is another site that I think you will like.... Traditional And Primitive Archers. Lots of good info. TBB does have pics.

FVR
07-10-2007, 07:39 PM
Yes, they have pics. Also do a search, there is a Cher. Indian Bow building book out there somewhere.

I know what you are doing, making a board bow.

Read up on picking the right board. Many board bows need backing if the grain runs off the side.

You can find good boards, you just need to look.

Good luck and if I can be of any help, yell.

Frank

Go_army2
07-10-2007, 09:59 PM
now what would be the prefect board bow? i want to know im going to search every thing up but its almost 12:00 and im tired ill do it in the mourning see ya later

Go_army2
07-10-2007, 10:20 PM
also woodzman what the link i could not find it and can you make board bows just like an cher. bow?

FVR
07-10-2007, 10:33 PM
The only diff. between board bows and stave bows is that the board is usually kiln dried.

The Cher. bow is a basic "D" bow, which can be made easily out of both boards and staves.

If I was to make a board bow, I would use hickory. Hickoey is such a strong wood that you can actually have grain running off the sides and it will still make a good bow.

I usually made my board bows longer than normal. In the 70" long area as this allows less stress on the wood.

Do a bit of research, one of the best board bow designs is the Pyramid bow. But that style is one of the Indian tribes out west.

Few other sites; Paleoplanet, Tradgang.com, Primitive Archer use to be a good site.

Go_army2
07-11-2007, 08:04 AM
tradgang.com is kinda of hard to understand i think paleoplanet is better primative archer im going to get an issue from them

woodzman
07-11-2007, 10:35 PM
also woodzman what the link i could not find it and can you make board bows just like an cher. bow?

Sorry about that. Try mysite.verison.net/georgeandjoni/archer.html

George gives step by step directions with pictures on building a board bow.
FVR knows what he's talking about too and can probably tell you everything you need to know right here.

Go_army2
07-12-2007, 06:50 AM
oh thats ok

Go_army2
07-12-2007, 06:50 AM
The only diff. between board bows and stave bows is that the board is usually kiln dried.

The Cher. bow is a basic "D" bow, which can be made easily out of both boards and staves.

If I was to make a board bow, I would use hickory. Hickoey is such a strong wood that you can actually have grain running off the sides and it will still make a good bow.

I usually made my board bows longer than normal. In the 70" long area as this allows less stress on the wood.

Do a bit of research, one of the best board bow designs is the Pyramid bow. But that style is one of the Indian tribes out west.

Few other sites; Paleoplanet, Tradgang.com, Primitive Archer use to be a good site.

you probably dont klnow of any cher, indain books right? ive been trying to find them some how i cant though

FVR
07-12-2007, 09:31 PM
Google Building Cherokee Indian Bows and you will be directed to Amazon.com where the book is available.

Again, this is the fun part. Research, research, research. You aquire all this info. then you decide what you want to do, then you start building.

Wait till you get to the arrows. Then the quiver, hmmmmm.

Woodsman, did not rec. the handle, did rec. GeorgeandJoni. Hope all is well.

Go_army2
07-13-2007, 07:40 AM
thanks for the tip i found one and i might buy it and what do you mean bye rec.?

FVR
07-13-2007, 07:50 PM
Rec = recognize.

Woodsman is Jawge and he is vey well known in bow building circles.

Here is the site you need to bookmark and read thoroughly.

The boardbow section is about the best on the net.

http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/archer.html

Take note of the pic in the boardbow section, how the grain runs down the board. This is very important.

Any questions, just yell.

Go_army2
07-14-2007, 07:11 AM
thankyou for the help i ll ask any wuestion if i need to