PDA

View Full Version : Weather Radios

crashdive123
03-17-2008, 09:31 PM
In the area that I live in (and probably many of you) they really are a must. Damaging weather can come upon us all very quickly. I have one in our bedroom that works great (sometimes too great). My crank radios also have weather bands with alert capabilities. Does anybody use the smaller ones (about the size of a small walkie talkie) when out trekking? Does the length of your stay affect your decision?

GVan
03-18-2008, 03:59 AM
Actually, I have four; 3 battery, and 1 crank. Even though I don't really care for the crank as I have to continually keep cranking the stupid thing.

Rick
03-18-2008, 06:48 AM
I have a set of Midland walkie talkies that have a weather channel on them. On occassion, I have carried just one for the weather information. The problem I've found is you are limited to their range (in my case about 12 miles) so unless your backpacking next to the repeater your SOL. But they are nice in town.

Assassin Pilot
03-18-2008, 06:52 AM
I will check out the weather beforehand, or use my cell phone (many services will send text messages with the weather report for your area on a regular basis). Plus cell phones generally last about 10 days if you just let it sit there in your pocket, a lot more if you turn it off and only turn it on the check the weather once a day.

CTracker
03-18-2008, 07:25 AM
In the area that I live in (and probably many of you) they really are a must. Damaging weather can come upon us all very quickly. I have one in our bedroom that works great (sometimes too great). My crank radios also have weather bands with alert capabilities. Does anybody use the smaller ones (about the size of a small walkie talkie) when out trekking? Does the length of your stay affect your decision?

Are you doing research for a new purchase? I'm interested in this as well (Tampa Bay Area). I've looked / researched and tried to come up with the best solution. To date, I've only become more confused with what's available. I've not been able to figure out what's "Cutting Edge" or what will be obsolete tomorrow.

I'm kinda a 'weather geek' and even have a Davis weather station mounted on the roof of my house. I'm still looking for a portable device as many of my "treks" are done on a motorcycle. I'm all to familiar with "weather can come upon us all very quickly."

crashdive123
03-18-2008, 07:30 AM
It's something that I've been looking at. Getting ready to do some hiking in the Osceola National Forest. I always check the weather, but in the afternoons around Florida "when sea breezes collide!!!"

GVan
03-19-2008, 06:12 PM
It's something that I've been looking at. Getting ready to do some hiking in the Osceola National Forest. I always check the weather, but in the afternoons around Florida "when sea breezes collide!!!"

You get the same storm education as I do. So, looking at it won't get the job done. Get off of ot and go to Walley's World and get a cheap one to keep your family and self prepared and safe. Then you can "look" into it for as long as you desire.:p

And by the way, Don't get a sun burn.

crashdive123
03-19-2008, 06:23 PM
GVan, I believe you misunderstand. I have more weather radios than most normal human beings. And I do have two set up for automatic alerts. What I do not have are the small walkie talkie type. I was asking if anybody had experience with them, and does the length of their trek determine usage. I will have one with me before venturing out. The "looking" part is my research into which one I will be getting. But thank you for your concern.

Rick
03-19-2008, 06:24 PM
Crash - See my post #3.

crashdive123
03-19-2008, 06:31 PM
Yeah - looks like the Midlands are pretty good. I want to research a few other brands before I buy....and I agree with your idea of walkie talkies with weather radios. Thanks.

Rick
03-19-2008, 06:33 PM
You'll have to be near the repeater or you won't receive anything.

GVan
03-19-2008, 06:35 PM
GVan, I believe you misunderstand. I have more weather radios than most normal human beings. And I do have two set up for automatic alerts. What I do not have are the small walkie talkie type. I was asking if anybody had experience with them, and does the length of their trek determine usage. I will have one with me before venturing out. The "looking" part is my research into which one I will be getting. But thank you for your concern.

Your right, I did misunderstand. Atleast you did manage to take care of the important reason for survival. See ya.

crashdive123
03-19-2008, 06:35 PM
The area that I'm talking about does have LOS to repeaters so reception shouldn't be a problem.

bulrush
04-10-2008, 12:47 PM
I have a clock radio with a "weatherband". It receives a shortwave channel from NOAA in the US. The problem with it is, it's a computer reading a text file. (I have seen this text file separately on the web.) The problem with that is, that text file, even in severe weather, is not updated that often, perhaps every 4-6 hours, so it only gives me a general idea of what's headed my way.

For immediate concerns I still have to look out my window.

Rick
04-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Bulrush - NOAA produces broadcasts throughout the day specific to your geographic location. Most weather radios are audio based and will send an audible alarm should a severe weather alert be issued. You can find fairly inexpensive models through Radio Shack of other electronics firms. Anywhere from $25.00 on up.

crashdive123
04-10-2008, 07:09 PM
bulrush - This radio http://www.amazon.com/Midland-WR-300-Weather-Hazards-Emergency/dp/B00009V2YV/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1207868811&sr=8-1 has been sitting on my night stand and waking me up in the middle of the night for a few years. Of all the radios that I have tried, I like this one the best.

bulrush
04-11-2008, 08:51 AM
I'm kind of looking for comments on radios that receive weather data that is updated more than once every 4-6 hours. My weather band on my clock radio works fine, the problem is, the data is only updated every 4-6 hours, so it's not very timely when severe weather hits. Example: my local FM station will be saying "heavy rain and flooding on this street and that street" while the weather band on my radio is still saying "possible rain showers today." Like I said, not timely or helpful.

I think mine is a Panasonic digital clock with 2 alarms, AM/FM and weather band.

I guess the real question is, are there different weather bands and are some more timely than others?

Rick
04-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Well, actually, there are different frequencies.

The last three are designated Canadian Marine Frequencies

Here's a link to the NOAA Weather web site:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/nwrrcvr.htm

To my knowledge, they are updated 24/365 and certainly as severe weather changes.

crashdive123
04-11-2008, 08:49 PM
bulrush - the weather radios will give you an alert when it happens. Many (maybe most) are programable with S.A.M.E. (Specific Area Message Encoding) technology. Once your radio is programmed it will "go off" as soon as an alert is issued. I'v got mine programmed to "go off" for watches and warnings, but not for weekly or monthly tests. Works great.

Rick
04-12-2008, 09:42 AM
Ah, remember the good old days before programming when you'd come home on Tuesday evening to a blaring weather radio?

crashdive123
04-12-2008, 07:25 PM
The programming feature is great. The only drawback for where I live (not really a drawback - just a reeeeeeeal early or late warning depending on their direction) is that I get all of the marine warnings too.

catfish10101
04-13-2008, 04:31 AM
I use my Icom m-72 marine handheld for a weather radio when I am on the water or even at home or work, when I expect severe weather. It gets updates as soon as NOAA issues them. Ofcourse you will here everything in the area but it is worth it. Also, we get severe weather alerts on our Fire Department radio like spotted tarnadoes or hail, as soon as 911 recieves the info from EOC.

Arkansas_Ranger
04-20-2008, 06:45 PM

I have a little, yellow, waterproof one that's a little bit bigger than the old Motorola StarTac cell phones. I also have a battery/"crank" version with a AM/FM and LED lighting. Then I have a VHF police and fire radio in my personal truck. Additionally, we have one in our office, and I have weather bands programmed into the VHF in my patrol vehicle and walkie talkies.

jrock24
04-25-2008, 02:16 PM
My CB radio in my truck has a weather band, constant updates. I am never to far from the truck to go and check.