PDA

View Full Version : The Perfect Pot

MCBushbaby
03-17-2008, 12:43 PM
I bought a Snowpeak Trek900 last year for it's light weight (titanium, 150g) and its size (.9L is perfect for solo/duo trips). Unfortunately I never really used the skillet lid (which accounts for 1/3 of the total weight) so last night I decided to modify this $43 package into the perfect backcountry pot.

The Pot
The pot itself is great. At only 100g and 900ml volume, it's perfect for gram counters and solo/duo trips. It also has gone from alcohol stove to campfire on many occasions, so it's durable as well. It has fold-out handles but no true hanging handle. The brim, and this is important, is rounded over (for strength and for safety) but it also provides the foundation for my modification.

The Modification
Enter about a foot of copper wire, wrapped around the brim, just under the folded lip with two twists on opposing sides, creating eye holes, and securely fastened back on itself. Another 8 inches of wire was attached between the eyes. Since I don't have pictures yet, imagine a paint-can handle. I tossed the lid (well, stored it in my closet) and created a lightweight lid from a pie tin, cut to size and kinked along the perimeter for a secure fit.

The Result
I dropped 50g, added the ability to hang my pot over a campfire, and have a lit that still doubles as a dish. Before this, there needed to be a flat surface over the flames for the pot, or I had to clear an area to the coals. Now it's just as easy as leaning a stick and attaching some twine. :) And all this modification is reversible in case I ever sell it.

Alternatives
I was thinking of using wire clothes hangers but the gauge was so great that it prevented easy manipulation. It was also heavier than the copper wire, so that was out.
I wanted to get a separate pot holder (the kind that latch to the pot like a can opener) to prevent infrequent hand burns associated with connected handles, so I was also thinking of removing the fold-out handles. However they were spot-welded and it may ruin the pot, thus I decided against.

Hope this serves as an example that, while your equipment may be minimal and lightweight, there is always room for small improvements. :D

trax
03-17-2008, 12:45 PM
When I read a thread title about "perfect pot" I was expecting something totally different. Possibly something that might go well with the perfect mushrooms.

OK, now that I'm done acting goofy on this one, try haywire or stove wire (if they're available) for those things, more manageable than the coat hangers and handle heat better than copper.

Tony uk
03-17-2008, 01:07 PM
When I read a thread title about "perfect pot" I was expecting something totally different. Possibly something that might go well with the perfect mushrooms.

OK, now that I'm done acting goofy on this one, try haywire or stove wire (if they're available) for those things, more manageable than the coat hangers and handle heat better than copper.

Only from you trax :p

dilligaf2u2
03-17-2008, 01:20 PM
You have a good pot bit it is not perfect. Now my pot is perfect. The main pot has coffee in it and the little lid pot has bacon cooking in it.

I found that most every pot can be improved by fixing is so it can hang over the fire. I use the for hanging pictures.

A pot grabber is always nice to have along.

I am not a gram weeny. But for those that are. Ti cookware is ok. I kind of stick to the anodized aluminum pots.

Don

Rick
03-17-2008, 01:36 PM
(Looks through reference books for gram weeny. Nope, not there.). Don, I hope when you get to Heaven there is lots and lots of bacon. And let's hope God doesn't have an aversion to pork.

Beo
03-17-2008, 01:39 PM
I just us an old tin boiler and folding frying pan, with handle folded its only 6 inches long.

dilligaf2u2
03-19-2008, 01:40 AM
TY Rick and when you get there look me up. I'll have a BLT waiting on you. A hot cup of coffee too.

Don

Rick
03-19-2008, 07:02 AM
That's my man!!!

I use the Army Canteen Cup for a pot.

Stony
03-19-2008, 09:11 AM
the perfect pot is the one you have at hand when you need it.

chiggersngrits
03-19-2008, 07:24 PM
i have never used any titianium cookware but i hear they have a tendency to scorch real bad because they are so thin and conduct heat so well. have you found this to be true? i hear they are great for boiling water or boil in the bag cooking.

MCBushbaby
03-20-2008, 08:03 AM
This is true, as with all thin metals. Since I cook soups, stews (not super-thick), and water for cooking I don't notice any scorchings. However when making an instant rice dish, the bottom rice certainly got burnt, though I attribute this to my not stirring it when the directions clearing indicate "simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently". lol

dilligaf2u2
03-30-2008, 12:34 AM
Gran Weeny = Someone that can tell you down to 1 gram what each piece of equipment they take camping weighs.

I do the canteen cup a lot too. It is never left home. I have an old LBE (Web belt and suspenders) that I carry my bob stuff in and on.

The canteen cup set up is the greatest. I have used one for far more years then I am willing to admit. When out with my Gram Weeny friends, I get the look but once they see how well it works and how it al fit together in a nice USEFUL set. They get interested. I have even converted a few to my way of thinking.

I have to agree the pot at hand is the best. This last week we use a 12 cup pot for most of our cooking. I did use the 6 cup pot a few times for coffee water as the boys were cooking dinner. The boys only used an Apache pit and coals on the ground. I used the Zip stove and my beloved 502 a few times.

Don

canid
03-30-2008, 12:39 AM
climbing is pretty much the only area i could see caring quite that much about weight, short of maybe competitive trekking type sports.

hoosierarcher
04-19-2008, 10:20 PM
I bought this set and it is the cat's pajamas. A little heavier than the Ti but the copper cladding makes it better for cooking.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=428979&pn=5

and you can't beat the price.

dilligaf2u2
04-21-2008, 02:17 AM
I was looking for a pot for doing rice when camping and not having a clump of starch to deal with. I got one of these

http://store.sundogoutfitter.com/Items/ZBRmultipot%20-%20Copy?sck=3174165&caSKU=ZBRmultipot%20-%20Copy&caTitle=Zebra%20Stainless%20Steel%20Multi-Use%20Pot%20Coffee%20Maker%2c%20Steamer%2c%20Cook% 20Pot%2c%20Filter%20Pot

and am very happy with it.

Don

DOGMAN
04-24-2008, 02:28 PM
matanuska thunder_uck....so, I've been told.