PDA

View Full Version : Soda Can Survival Stove Boil Test

Soggybottomboy
02-19-2013, 02:59 PM
In this video, Survival Johnny demonstrates *his latest survival stove. We do a boil test based on 1 oz of alcohol and it is amazing how long this stove last. He also shows off a couple other designs that are pretty cool. Watch and enjoy!

*The inspiration for this design was based off a video Survivor Johnny watched on YouTube. However, I can't find the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgVHj17ZzRc#

crashdive123
02-19-2013, 08:38 PM
You and "Survival Johnny" should check out some of the many alcohol stoves that members here have made and posted.

kyratshooter
02-20-2013, 12:12 PM
We did go through an alchaol stove craze a few years back, did we not?

I still use one in tandem with my Hinnie-can.

http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o771/Mortblanc/001_zps155c00cb.jpg

First time I ever saw an alcahol stove in use was on the AT. One of the hikers pulled out a tuna can w/holes poked around the top, splashed some "heat" into it, lit it and boiled up his Oodles of Noodles.

That style is just about as efficient as any of the fancy stoves.

hunter63
02-20-2013, 12:46 PM
We did go through an alchaol stove craze a few years back, did we not?...........

Yeah, the hair on my arm has grown back and the Fire Dept has taken me off the watch list.

Rick
02-20-2013, 06:43 PM
There is nothing any purdier than that sudden blue flash at night when someone tries to add alcohol to his already burning stove, which just proves that alcohol and fire don't mix.

hunter63
02-20-2013, 08:12 PM
Yeah...Wow...should have been there....

kyratshooter
02-21-2013, 12:51 AM
Did solve the problem one of my friends had trying to figure out what was the best alcahol to carry when backpacking.

Everclear!

You can drink it or cook with it.

Problem he had was that he would drink all the Everclear the first night out and eat raw food for the rest of the trip!

hunter63
02-21-2013, 12:48 PM
Need to be high proof,..... even high proof vodka, and rum, sorta burns, but sputs and sputters, lots of moisture.....so you get tired of waiting , and just drink the rest.

I hear ya on the everclear......

Rick
02-21-2013, 07:15 PM
If I drank everclear I'd be the one sputtering.