PDA

View Full Version : A sign of the times....

COWBOYSURVIVAL
02-15-2013, 08:10 PM
Used car shoppin' on Craiglist today. I have 2 trucks and thought I wanted a car, to have options that might be better on gas. Holy smoke! they want new prices for 90's vehicles..... unbelievable. I think I'll put some money in my trucks!

hunter63
02-15-2013, 08:21 PM
Sad isn't it?....I really think a lot of good 5-10 year old cars were destroyed in the "cash for clunkers" program in 2009...causing a shortage of good used cars in that time frame.
New car pricing is just out of sight....and it isn't getting any better.

LOL, was at the dealer today for oil change and check up........guy says "Go on line and fill this out for a $10 discount"
So after mucking around for 20 minutes never did get to the place I needed to be to get the discount.....so I quit...

Wasn't 10 minutes later that I recieved a phone call asking if I wanted a quote on a neww truck....and checking my e-mail....got 3 different e-mails.

So I kinda burned up his ears for a while....never did get any thing.....and will never do that again.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
02-15-2013, 08:25 PM
Yeah, I was amazed....looks like I could take the same 5k I was wantin' to spend and fix a couple ole' trucks around here and sell 'em to triple my money...I have 3 more trucks besides the 2 mentioned earlier.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
02-15-2013, 09:09 PM
Just curious...I do all of my own work. What does a brake job an an oil change cost? I haven't paid anyone to do it ever?

shiftyer1
02-15-2013, 10:49 PM
More than the 25 bux you'll spend on pads:)

kyratshooter
02-15-2013, 11:59 PM
Just curious...I do all of my own work. What does a brake job an an oil change cost? I haven't paid anyone to do it ever?

Here in NKY you can get brakes done for $100 per axle, but I have yet to escape them without a sales pitch for roters and sometimes calipers. Had one guy refuse to put pads on the rotors I had and refused to replace the origionals until I threatened to call the cops. I usually do my own to avoid the hastle, but if there is a sale on, snow on the ground and rotors grinding I will pay the $100.

Oil changes at Walmart are still only $17 and my Walmart has actual experienced adult people doing the work.

Last time I was in a car dealership trying to trade they took my keys to "check out my trade in" and I absolutely had to track down both car and keys to leave the place. I think they intended to hold me captive until I bought one of their overpriced vehicles.

I refused to turn over my keys from that point on.

I ran through a half dozen dealers trying out certified used and new cars to decide what I wanted and then bought it off Graigslist.

Cowboy, any truck that runs is worth $2k and if it has both fenders and doors it is worth $3k. It the radio works ask $4k.

I was just talking to a friend who had blown the engine in his 2000 Toyota. It was going to cost him $2500 for a used motor and he decided to go ahead and have the swap done because the car still listed for 4k with 225,000 miles on the odometer.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
02-16-2013, 08:55 AM
Here in NKY you can get brakes done for $100 per axle, but I have yet to escape them without a sales pitch for roters and sometimes calipers. Had one guy refuse to put pads on the rotors I had and refused to replace the origionals until I threatened to call the cops. I usually do my own to avoid the hastle, but if there is a sale on, snow on the ground and rotors grinding I will pay the $100.

Oil changes at Walmart are still only $17 and my Walmart has actual experienced adult people doing the work.

Last time I was in a car dealership trying to trade they took my keys to "check out my trade in" and I absolutely had to track down both car and keys to leave the place. I think they intended to hold me captive until I bought one of their overpriced vehicles.

I refused to turn over my keys from that point on.

I ran through a half dozen dealers trying out certified used and new cars to decide what I wanted and then bought it off Graigslist.

Cowboy, any truck that runs is worth $2k and if it has both fenders and doors it is worth $3k. It the radio works ask $4k.

I was just talking to a friend who had blown the engine in his 2000 Toyota. It was going to cost him $2500 for a used motor and he decided to go ahead and have the swap done because the car still listed for 4k with 225,000 miles on the odometer.

Thanks Kyrat, that was a helpful post for me. I haven't looked for a late model since 2003.

randyt
02-16-2013, 09:20 AM
When I was a lad my Dad had a budget of a 100 dollars for a used car. My first car cost me 375 dollars.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
02-16-2013, 10:00 AM
When I was a lad my Dad had a budget of a 100 dollars for a used car. My first car cost me 375 dollars.

First one was $250, had a rod slung through the oil pan....

kyratshooter
02-16-2013, 10:35 AM
You guys are younger than me!

My parents sent me out car shopping with the caution that one never paid mor then $1,000 for a car that was a year old!

I broke the rule and they were really upset. I bought my first NEW car in 1966 and paid $1200. It was a new 1965 model and they had to get it off the lot.

In 1967 I bought a 1958 Chevy for $200 and drove it trouble free for a year while in college.

1968 I paid $2600 for a brand new Comaro w/327 and automatic trans.

That was extravigant because i could have paid $1999 for either a 6 cyl Mustang or a VW bug.

Last fall I shelled out 7k for a 4 year old entry level compact that was far from pristine! It hurts to do that, but as stated, it is a sign of the times.

randyt
02-16-2013, 11:40 AM
My first car was a suburu with a bad constant velocity joint. My Dad changed it for me and I was ready to go. My memory may be fuzzy on a few things. My first car may have been a mercury comet. It was free, it had been parked in the woods along with many others and we went and got it started and the way I went. I had a 1963 international panel wagon that set me back 250 dollars. I think it has a lot to do with demographics. In my area when I was a young man there was still a lot of tar paper shacks, cold water only and path baths, not a lot of money to be had at that time.

jfeatherjohn
02-16-2013, 11:41 AM
I can afford a lot of gas a repair when I look at the replacement cost of my truck. I cringe when I see the cost of vehicles, new or used.
I'll be happy with what I have.

randyt
02-16-2013, 11:43 AM
I've bough vehicles that cost more than my first house.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
02-16-2013, 11:49 AM
I can afford a lot of gas a repair when I look at the replacement cost of my truck. I cringe when I see the cost of vehicles, new or used.
I'll be happy with what I have.

I have said the same thing, currently driving an Chevy '84 3/4 ton. It'll go along ways on new or used car money.

WolfVanZandt
02-16-2013, 12:24 PM
My first few cars were cars I could actually do maintenance work on. I can't even get to spark plugs any more. The computers on these cars cost as much as whole cars used to cost. I assume one reason cars are so much more expensive than they used to be is that they used to be an engine and a body. Now they're power everything, computers, safety equipment, expensive entertainment systems, etc., etc.

And to use them is much more expensive. Insurance, licenses, gasoline, restaurant food......

We've preempted the natural laws that drive economy so economy doesn't work anymore. We keep trying to preempt all the natural laws, so nature doesn't work with us any more.

After we've succeeded in killing off just about everyone, please, all you survivors, leave greed out of the picture. We might make it the next time around.

hunter63
02-16-2013, 12:29 PM

Paid $29.95, and was supposed to get a $10 buck rebate....wasn't worth the hassle.......still haven't got to the right place to send it in.
I used to do all my own work, even put the wood stove and kerosene heater in the garage, so as to be able to work in comfort in the cold months.

So with an air compressor, impact tools, and large selection of tools....Back in the "olden days" it was a crescent wrench, pliers, a couple of screw drivers, 3/8 drive socket set and basic open end/box end wrenches, hammer, and pry bar.......and you could fix most everything/anything.

DW car saying in the owners manual, "there are 7 things painted yellow under the hood, if it ain't yellow, you have no business screwing with it.

I find I really don't like laying on the creeper, anymore....and going thru the city mandated regulations rules for hazard material disposal....(Of course I ALWAYS follow the rules...nudge nudge).....
Mostly I go to the car spa...oil change...with free wash job....they really hate it when I just got back fro a hunting trip.

Last new vehicle was Big Red. pick up in 2009....but was a 2008....and if you remember that was when the auto industry was hurting......I ended up paying the same for a 2008 and I did my 1999....could not..not afford to buy it.

But they was only gonna give me $2k for the '99....and just decided to keep it as my 'everyday truck"

I'm not a fan of Craigslist...have been a lot of rip offs lately...."Meet me at the back of a parking lot at midnight with cash".....Yeah right.

As far as brakes, I still do my own mostly, unless there is a heck of a sale....but I hear ya on the "new rotors" deal, so I hak to see them....and have told them to just put it back togeather, and I deal with it later.......all of a sudden a pad changes seems to happen.....fancy that.

Anyway I really think that a lot of people are afraid of all the on board computers, do-dads and elecrtronic glitches, so would rather stay with an older, more basic vechical.....and the pricing reflects that.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
02-16-2013, 01:35 PM
Paid $29.95, and was supposed to get a $10 buck rebate....wasn't worth the hassle.......still haven't got to the right place to send it in.
I used to do all my own work, even put the wood stove and kerosene heater in the garage, so as to be able to work in comfort in the cold months.

So with an air compressor, impact tools, and large selection of tools....Back in the "olden days" it was a crescent wrench, pliers, a couple of screw drivers, 3/8 drive socket set and basic open end/box end wrenches, hammer, and pry bar.......and you could fix most everything/anything.

DW car saying in the owners manual, "there are 7 things painted yellow under the hood, if it ain't yellow, you have no business screwing with it.

I find I really don't like laying on the creeper, anymore....and going thru the city mandated regulations rules for hazard material disposal....(Of course I ALWAYS follow the rules...nudge nudge).....
Mostly I go to the car spa...oil change...with free wash job....they really hate it when I just got back fro a hunting trip.

Last new vehicle was Big Red. pick up in 2009....but was a 2008....and if you remember that was when the auto industry was hurting......I ended up paying the same for a 2008 and I did my 1999....could not..not afford to buy it.

But they was only gonna give me $2k for the '99....and just decided to keep it as my 'everyday truck"

I'm not a fan of Craigslist...have been a lot of rip offs lately...."Meet me at the back of a parking lot at midnight with cash".....Yeah right.

As far as brakes, I still do my own mostly, unless there is a heck of a sale....but I hear ya on the "new rotors" deal, so I hak to see them....and have told them to just put it back togeather, and I deal with it later.......all of a sudden a pad changes seems to happen.....fancy that.

Anyway I really think that a lot of people are afraid of all the on board computers, do-dads and elecrtronic glitches, so would rather stay with an older, more basic vechical.....and the pricing reflects that.

Good point, I parked the '99 and bought the '84 when my wrenches wouldn't fix the computer junk. I haven't given up though, it just bought me time. Now, that I see what the '99's are going for I may just carry it to a mechanic with a puter!

hunter63
02-16-2013, 01:50 PM
I don't know if you remember my thread on the owners manual, wiring diagram, and fuse list on the 2008.......even the dealer wouldn't give me the time of day....
Got it from very helpful guy on the forum, and I suspect he was referring to proprietary information.....just to fix my trailer running lights fuse

2 fuse boxes and about 70+ fuses per box.
You can't just go thru and pull each one and check them....a lot or stuff is still activated even when the truck is off....big trouble if you disconnect a sensor or computer.

I still thinking a project would be a 68 Dodge Power wagon......LOL

COWBOYSURVIVAL
02-16-2013, 02:05 PM
I don't know if you remember my thread on the owners manual, wiring diagram, and fuse list on the 2008.......even the dealer wouldn't give me the time of day....
Got it from very helpful guy on the forum, and I suspect he was referring to proprietary information.....just to fix my trailer running lights fuse

2 fuse boxes and about 70+ fuses per box.
You can't just go thru and pull each one and check them....a lot or stuff is still activated even when the truck is off....big trouble if you disconnect a sensor or computer.

I still thinking a project would be a 68 Dodge Power wagon......LOL

Yeah I saw the post, tried to help but don't remember being able to find anything on it. It is snowing in the swamp, and my little girl just bolted outside. Gotta run her down!

Seniorman
02-16-2013, 02:07 PM
I'll just stick with my 1975 Ford F250 4x4 I bought new in 1975. It has 96,000 miles on it and runs like a champ. There is plenty of room under the hood to work, and everything under there is "reachable." I only use it for outdoor stuff, hunting, fishing, camping, etc. so it is still in good shape.

I have no desire for a new truck so as to go bustin' 'round out in the boonies. This one I have will do just fine. :laugh:

S.M.

randyt
02-16-2013, 02:53 PM
I need to learn to do my own brake pads. I can change brake shoes, rebuild the wheel cylinders etc. but I haven't ever monkeyed with brake pads.

hunter63
02-16-2013, 02:58 PM
You are a wise man.....still a lot of those running around, and parts are $25 bucks...not $250.
I don't think I will be looking for anything new in my near future, bought the 2008 as I was still working, but knew retirement was coming soon...so I decided to buy one while i could still afford it.

As it is the '99 has only 120K, the '08 has 35K, mostly all highway miles, DW '01 has 37K...so we should be good.

Now if I won the lottery I would be looking at one of the new CTS-V Cadillac sedans, 556 HP turbo V-8....Of course I would lose my DL in about 20 minutes....LOL

randyt
02-16-2013, 03:09 PM
My personal truck is a 1953 armored weapons carrier. It tops out at about 50 miles per hour, flat head six, foot button start by the gas pedal. I want to convert it from 24 volt to 12 volt ignition with a "normal" distributor one of these days, a paint job is in order too. I would like to put a flat bed on it with a dump cylinder. It's not really a car pool type vehicle though LOL.

kyratshooter
02-16-2013, 04:33 PM
I need to learn to do my own brake pads. I can change brake shoes, rebuild the wheel cylinders etc. but I haven't ever monkeyed with brake pads.

If you can do shoes then the disk brake pads would seem a snap. I have taught everyone in the family to do their own pads and it usually takes on the first try. When the boys came home from Iraq I got to the point that I just kept the tools for the brake pad changes in a seperate dedicated tool box. Seemed like every weekend they had one of their cars, a GF or DW car or an in-law's on jacks in the driveway swapping out brake pads. They were so proud of being able to fix their own brakes they were going out and hunting down brakes that needed fixing!

I once had a Toyota that ate brake pads for lunch. I got to the point that I could do the front pads in 5 minutes per side. It took longer to jack the vehicle up than it did to change the pads.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
02-16-2013, 05:03 PM
If you can do shoes then the disk brake pads would seem a snap. I have taught everyone in the family to do their own pads and it usually takes on the first try. When the boys came home from Iraq I got to the point that I just kept the tools for the brake pad changes in a seperate dedicated tool box. Seemed like every weekend they had one of their cars, a GF or DW car or an in-law's on jacks in the driveway swapping out brake pads. They were so proud of being able to fix their own brakes they were going out and hunting down brakes that needed fixing!

I once had a Toyota that ate brake pads for lunch. I got to the point that I could do the front pads in 5 minutes per side. It took longer to jack the vehicle up than it did to change the pads.

Well yeah, but those 8 lugs that were galled on with an air wrench made me cuss! I chased the threads and put'em back on with some grease!

letslearntogether47
02-17-2013, 09:39 AM
This is exactly why I still drive a 1994 Ford ranger 4x4.
I have repaired almost everything on this except the motor.(knock on wood).
From replacing rear shackle rails to front 4x4 ujoints and everything in between.
But it's been paid for and owes me nothing.

Wildthang
02-17-2013, 09:51 AM
I have an 06 Tundra and it is paid off. I will drive that truck until it falls apart. Speaking of front brake pads, I need to put some new ones on as soon as it warms up a little. I have found that if you take a truck to an auto repair place, they either insist that the rotors need turned or replaced no matter how good they look just to drive the repair bill up!
There is a tire place in Oregon Ohio and every time they install new tires they put your vehicle on the front end alignment machine, and low and behold, every time your front end needs an alignment that costs $60 bucks. I told them they were crooks the last time I was there and will never go back.
I heard them call a lady to the desk and tell her that her power steering fluid was over filled and it was bad for the system. She looked very concerned and ask them to take some of the fluid out. They then told her that they couldn't just take the fluid out and would have to drain and flush the entire power steering system and it would only cost $60. Of course she fell for it hook line and sinker. Before I left I told her that they just cheated her out of $60 and to go somewhere else the next time!

Stiffy
02-17-2013, 10:10 AM
I'll just stick with my 1975 Ford F250 4x4 I bought new in 1975. It has 96,000 miles on it and runs like a champ. There is plenty of room under the hood to work, and everything under there is "reachable." I only use it for outdoor stuff, hunting, fishing, camping, etc. so it is still in good shape.

I have no desire for a new truck so as to go bustin' 'round out in the boonies. This one I have will do just fine. :laugh:

S.M.

My truck is a 2007. I can't change the oil, can't change the spark plugs, can't put in a new battery. Keep that '75 going as long as you can.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
02-17-2013, 10:21 AM
I have an 06 Tundra and it is paid off. I will drive that truck until it falls apart. Speaking of front brake pads, I need to put some new ones on as soon as it warms up a little. I have found that if you take a truck to an auto repair place, they either insist that the rotors need turned or replaced no matter how good they look just to drive the repair bill up!
There is a tire place in Oregon Ohio and every time they install new tires they put your vehicle on the front end alignment machine, and low and behold, every time your front end needs an alignment that costs $60 bucks. I told them they were crooks the last time I was there and will never go back.
I heard them call a lady to the desk and tell her that her power steering fluid was over filled and it was bad for the system. She looked very concerned and ask them to take some of the fluid out. They then told her that they couldn't just take the fluid out and would have to drain and flush the entire power steering system and it would only cost $60. Of course she fell for it hook line and sinker. Before I left I told her that they just cheated her out of $60 and to go somewhere else the next time!

Did the front end alignment on my '99 silverado 4x4 with a tape measure a string and a nail. Tracks straight as an arrow and no adverse tire wear that was 5 or 6 yrs. ago. The shop wanted me to schedule an appointment during working hours, which is when I am working! Dad taught me the trick on my second car, a '77 camaro.

kyratshooter
02-17-2013, 10:23 AM
This is exactly why I still drive a 1994 Ford ranger 4x4.
I have repaired almost everything on this except the motor.(knock on wood).
From replacing rear shackle rails to front 4x4 ujoints and everything in between.
But it's been paid for and owes me nothing.

Odd, I had a 93 Ford Ranger and it was completely computerized!

I remember well due to the computer going out on me and having to replace all 3 componant groups every 100,000 miles. They are listed as control group modules to keep folks from saying "computer".

I put nearly 500,000 on that truck so I had to do that 4 times. There was a box on the firewall, a second box near the radiator and another very expensive and difficult componant that took the place of the points and wrapped around the distributor shaft. (That particular part is used industry wide and is manufactured by Mitsubitsi no matter what label is on your vehicle)

I also had a '81 Chevy that required a computer replacement and an '84 Jeep using a GM V6 that had a sensor under the carb that would mess up. GM put that engine in about everything they made as the standard power.

If the vehicle is anything after 1990 it has a computer in there, it just has not gone out on you yet! If it has fuel injection it has a computer. If there are no points to replace it has a computer. If it had "coil packs" it has a computer. If there is anything in the parts list labeled "module" it has a computer.

WolfVanZandt
02-17-2013, 03:38 PM
I just recently read "The Minotaur Takes a Cigarette Break" by Steven Sherrill. One of the few pleasures in the Minotaur's life (Yep, The Minotaur, he ended up working in a restaurant in North Carolina) is keeping his old beat-up car in working condition. I was nostalgic. Unfortunately, I was never mechanically inclined and could only do the basic maintenance stuff and I was rough on my vehicles (a regular animal, you might say) so my first car, a Dodge Dart that valiantly refused to succumb to my tortures finally gave up the ghost a mile from home during a snow storm (and I was not dressed for a hike in the snow).

It's a fond fantasy of mine that my current van will last long enough to see my retirement (6 years this month) and get me on to my next life. I don't have the realistic hope that all three of us (me, my job, my van) will survive that long and that depressed me. Maybe one of us will make it. I give two a long shot.

hunter63
02-17-2013, 03:48 PM
We had an engineer at our plant, that was very good at anything mechanical.
He had a 1978 Buick, that was huge...he wife liked it as it was tall enough to fit the way she wore her hair....kinda a "UP" thing.
Didn't want a new car....too low.

he was forced to retair at aged 70, and drove his wife nuts....with nothing to do.
So he pulled in the garage and rebuilt the whole car, everything, engine trasnmission, all running gear, body work, and interior.

Last I heard the guy was in his '90's and I have no idea what happend to that car.........

ubercrow
02-17-2013, 06:35 PM
Used car shoppin' on Craiglist today. I have 2 trucks and thought I wanted a car, to have options that might be better on gas. Holy smoke! they want new prices for 90's vehicles..... unbelievable. I think I'll put some money in my trucks!

I had a 99 civic 180,000mi put it on CL for a little below blue book $3000. and it was gone in hours, crazy.. it was 13years old and almost spent.

My first car 1984 was 10 years old for $350. Inflation?

Min wage in 1984 was like $4.25 now $8.75 How the hell can a kid buy a first car anymore?

hunter63
02-17-2013, 06:47 PM
I had a 99 civic 180,000mi put it on CL for a little below blue book $3000. and it was gone in hours, crazy.. it was 13years old and almost spent.

My first car 1984 was 10 years old for $350. Inflation?

Min wage in 1984 was like $4.25 now $8.75 How the hell can a kid buy a first car anymore?

Well duh...you get a new car when you turn 16.......Just show up....Duh........
LOL

crashdive123
02-17-2013, 08:08 PM

Stop wasting money on crap and games and save. I saved for my first car ($1500) and was making considerably less than minimum wage you listed for 1984.

hunter63
02-17-2013, 08:59 PM
DD first car, I told her I would pay HALF....what a joke, she would show me an ad for $1500, and only had like $500,,,,so we had to work on her math.
Ended up with a 1972 American Motors Hornet....with 23000 miles.....Great shape!

Front seat was worn out, old lady didn't drive far, but drove it "much"....and needed brakes....whole deal done for $500....so she used her other half for insurance and plates, seat covers, and even borrowed $100 buck from mom (different story.

Car was older than she was, but as it was a classic, her friend's were car guy/gals, thought it was cool....drove it for 3-4 years, and sold it for $1000 bucks....could have most likely got more.

Now that is my girl.

PS DD "loan".....
She borrowed $100 bucks from Mom....and when she got to her first payday, she asked us at the supper table how much she should pay back at a time.....

So I asked her how much was her check?
She says, "Well, my pay is $120 bucks........

So I took a hundred and gave be bech her $20 bucks change.....
Her mouth dropped open, and said I can't get by for 2 weeks on $20 bucks.

Told her that what her mother and do every payday.....LOL
So I told her to pay what she felt comfortable with, but I wasn't going to front her for gas etc.

We agreed on $20 bucks a payday, and she never missed a payment

COWBOYSURVIVAL
02-17-2013, 09:03 PM
DD first, I told her I would HALF....what a joke, she would show me an ad for $1500, and only had like $500,,,,so we had to work on her math.
Ended up with a 1972 American Motors Hornet....with 23000 miles.....Great shape!

Front seat was worn out, old lady didn't drive far, but drove it "much"....and needed brakes....whole deal done for $500....so she used her other half for insurance and plates, seat covers, and even borrowed $100 buck from mom (different story.

Car was older than she was, but as it was a classic, her friend's were car guy/gals, thought it was cool....drove it for 3-4 years, and sold it for $1000 bucks.

Now that is my girl.

Good job Dad! I hope it is still possible to put a full frame under mine in 6 yrs. ugh! I didn't wanna think about that!