PDA

View Full Version : Magnesiun block striker wears down too fast

sofasurfer
02-09-2013, 07:08 AM
I have been using a magnesium block. I am very happy with the results. However, I think that the striker rod is going to wear out long before I use up the magnesium. Should I buy a separate striker tool? Whats the rod made out of and what do I get that works as well?

crashdive123
02-09-2013, 07:17 AM
The rod attached to the block is nothing more than a small ferrocerium (fire steel). There are many, many styles and brands out there. This is a source I like for them http://www.safezonellc.com/firestarters.html If you wear out the rod before you run out of magnesium block, you may want to work (practice) your technique. If you are scraping the rod to generate the sparks to ignite the magnesium more than once or twice then IMO your technique needs work. Once you have gotten your technique down, you will not likely wear out the rod too early.

GreatUsername
02-09-2013, 04:50 PM
You could also use more magnesium.... :innocent:

sticker
02-09-2013, 04:59 PM
Get a real ferro rod 3/8 will last a mighty long time

Stiffy
02-09-2013, 05:21 PM
I've got about a dozen rods, most either 3/8 or 1/4 thick. I estimate that I should be able to start fires for several hundred years.

By the way, have you tried starting fires without the magnesium? There are a lot of other starting materials that work good.

GreatUsername
02-09-2013, 08:33 PM
I've got about a dozen rods, most either 3/8 or 1/4 thick. I estimate that I should be able to start fires for several hundred years.

By the way, have you tried starting fires without the magnesium? There are a lot of other starting materials that work good.

(pardon my earlier snark)

I second the idea of numerous thick ferro-rods. The thin ones have a nasty habit of snapping in half once you shave off the first 60%.

It's funny that you should mention other starting materials, I actually hate using magnesium in most cases. Magnesium is what I call a "flash tinder" meaning it burns very hot, and very fast. I prefer "stable tinders" that burn for a longer time, and steadily. Granted, this is a requirement for the wet place that I live, but it could be helpful in other situations, even if your wood is dry.

Petrol jelly cotton balls work marvelously, but nothing in my experience has beaten steel wool, with frayed jute being a close second. Take a day and experiment, see what works best for you, in various situations. Not only will you find the tinder you like, but the practice will probably help you get better at using the ferro-rod more efficiently.

randyt
02-09-2013, 08:41 PM
The magnesium/rod fire starters are cheap enough a few kicking around isn't a big expense. A fella could add another fire rod to the lanyard for longevity. TBH I always though the fire rods on a mag block wore down faster than other rods I've used too.

Mozartghost1791
02-09-2013, 09:23 PM
I don't know how the hel you're s'posed to actually make a pile of magnesium shavings with anything short of a belt sander. The darn mag block dulls up my knife and even when I tried getting shavings off with a file they didn't ignite half as well as I expected. I just use the mag block fire starter cause it's the only one they sell at Wal Mart.

crashdive123
02-09-2013, 09:35 PM
I don't know how the hel you're s'posed to actually make a pile of magnesium shavings with anything short of a belt sander. The darn mag block dulls up my knife and even when I tried getting shavings off with a file they didn't ignite half as well as I expected. I just use the mag block fire starter cause it's the only one they sell at Wal Mart.

Don't use your knife, or use the spine (if you keep it squared). I demonstrate a couple of mag blocks in this vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCnaCTU8xHE

Rick
02-10-2013, 09:10 AM
Just a couple of thoughts on mag blocks. Doan invented them for the military. I don't know what type of adhesive they use to attach the rod to the magnesium but I've never heard of one or had one come loose. There are cheaper brands out there but I've heard a lot of complaints about the rods coming off. A cold, wet afternoon is no time to pull out your block and find you've lost the fero rod because it came loose. Just something to think about.

Ferocerium rods only come from one place these days. A single company in China. A lot of brand name knives that have fero rods included all purchase their rods from the same company. You might be able to find some Swedish firesteels around but the company doesn't exist any longer. If anyone knows of another company I'd be interested in following up on it. I've done a LOT of research on this one and the one company (which goes by several names interestingly) is the only one I've found that makes them.

Ferocerium rods are a less dense than magnesium and designed to shear easily when struck. The ratio of wear between the mag block and rod is dependent upon the amount of magnesium you use and the way you strike the rod, as Crash suggested.

You can purchase slightly different variations of fero rod. However, most commercial version will be made of:

Mischmetal (rare earth metal) : 76% minimum (composed of 50% cerium and 25% lanthanum, with small amounts of neodymium and praseodumium)
Iron: 18~21%
Magnesium 1.5 ~ 2.5%

Sarge47
02-10-2013, 09:53 AM
Check this out from Hood's Woods:

http://survival.instantestore.net/pd-idaho-rod.cfm......:sailor:

Stiffy
02-10-2013, 10:16 AM
. . . It's funny that you should mention other starting materials, I actually hate using magnesium in most cases. Magnesium is what I call a "flash tinder" meaning it burns very hot, and very fast. I prefer "stable tinders" that burn for a longer time, and steadily. Granted, this is a requirement for the wet place that I live, but it could be helpful in other situations, even if your wood is dry.

Petrol jelly cotton balls work marvelously, but nothing in my experience has beaten steel wool, with frayed jute being a close second. Take a day and experiment, see what works best for you, in various situations. Not only will you find the tinder you like, but the practice will probably help you get better at using the ferro-rod more efficiently.

I took a ball of heavy jute twine, cut off some three inch lengths, and dipped them in canning wax. I can fit about 20 in a small plastic bottle. Fray one end before hitting with a spark. Good burn time and they pack real good.

randyt
02-10-2013, 10:33 AM
That's a good plan Stiffy, I've been going to try that with bees wax and binder twine but haven't got rountuit yet.

hunter63
02-10-2013, 01:12 PM
So, how many of y'all regularly use the scrapped magnezuim to start your fires?

I have to say that I rarely, if ever use, the mag block.........if you have good tinder, it shouldn't be needed, which is why most of the higher end knives w/ ferro included in knife sheaths and such.....Don't have a mag block.

Mostly I use a new invention the includes a ferro rod, steel, and fuel/tinder, all in a compact package......5 for a dollar, at the dollor store....
A BIC

randyt
02-10-2013, 01:26 PM
Not me, I rarely to almost never use a mag block.

Sarge47
02-10-2013, 01:49 PM
Not me, I rarely to almost never use a mag block.

Yep! For me it's either matches or a lighter...either cigarette or charcoal! ....:sailor:

randyt
02-10-2013, 03:23 PM
for me it was strike anywhere matches and a zippo lighter.

Sarge47
02-10-2013, 03:51 PM
for me it was strike anywhere matches and a zippo lighter.

I agree with the "strike-anywhere" matches, but since I don't smoke it'd be a butane lighter for me...unattended a Zippo type lighter will lose fluid......:sailor:

sticker
02-10-2013, 03:59 PM
I Never use a mag block, Ive always got a chew tin filled with tinder on me when Im out. But most of the time I use natural tinder.

kyratshooter
02-10-2013, 04:16 PM
Bics for me also. They are scattered through my gear, stashed in every nook and cranney of the vehicles.

Their one real drawback, inefficency in cold weather, is not a real factor in my area. Even if they get soaked one can usually dry them out and blow them dry in a few seconds and get a flame.

I have many ferro rods but they are for show. Mostly because folks expect you to have one.

Buckskinners must have their flint and steel kit and modern bushcrafters are expected to have their ferro rod. The outfit just ain't complete without it, even though you really start your fire with a BBQ lighter.

Rick
02-10-2013, 04:20 PM
Mag blocks are pretty handy when it's wet. I've used one several times in wet weather to get damp stuff going. Otherwise it's my Bic or firesteel.

randyt
02-10-2013, 04:21 PM
The last time I used a bic I was soaking wet in a coooooold lavuu and my bic wouldn't work. So I grabbed my zippo and lit a fire. In my gear I carry a zippo and a container of fluid.

hunter63
02-10-2013, 04:32 PM
Looks like the truth is comming out on the Bics.......
I know in the buchcraft world they are frowned upon, Bic being not 'primitive enough"........

But then you get into:.....What is the best ferro rod/mag block, fire piston, dryer lint, steel wool, cotton balls and PJ, lens, fuel blocks etc, etc.......So just how primitive is that?

Bottom line, when I am are wet and cold....., I really don't care who does what....I have been known to use road flares when something really need to burn.

Primitive is flint(the rock), steel, char-cloth (prefered), and/or tinder bundle.

Each to his own......

Goodfella
02-10-2013, 05:37 PM
@Rick

There might be a non Chinese fire steel on the market for you to look into. Primus brand. I will post a link if you wish to look into it further.

I bought a couple of these about a year ago at a local shop and on the packaging it was labeled made in Sweden. Are they still produced there? I have no idea.

http://store.primuscamping.com/backpacking-stoves/accessories/primus-ignition-steel-large/

Edit: Now that I think about it more it could have been labeled made in the USA? . It was a while ago so my memory is a wee foggy. I do remember saying to myself "wow something that is not

made in China"

Rick
02-10-2013, 07:50 PM
They don't make their own. They purchase them from China and have them rebranded at the factory. I spoke to my salesman at the factory and he sent me a list of knife companies they supply fero rods to. Mora was one (Swedish Firesteels from China. whoda thunk it?). As I said, there was a factory in Sweden several years back but they have since closed up shop.

Goodfella
02-10-2013, 08:16 PM
Way to burst my bubble. I actually thought I had found something not made in China. It is getting ever so hard to buy North American/European made products. I never would have thought Swedish fire-steels would be made in China. Not all that surprising though, my father works in a big three automotive assembly plant and tells me most of the parts are shipped in from China only to be assembled there. Then the final product receives the label Made In Canada.

pete lynch
02-11-2013, 06:10 AM

Bottom line, when I am are wet and cold....., I really don't care who does what....I have been known to use road flares when something really need to burn......

Each to his own......

I Agree. I remember an old post by Alaskan Survivalist stating he carried a propane torch during the winter because he needed to be absolutely sure he could get a fire started .
For me, waterproof matches and a bic. Ferro rod for when the other two don't work. fatwood, jute twine sometimes. Other times whatever is dry enough to burn.

finallyME
02-11-2013, 02:36 PM
Not all mag blocks are created equal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frDMAOlIGaY&feature=share&list=PLF11143E3F8AF602D
Of course, like many here, I rarely use one. Cotton balls are just so much easier. Shaving magnesium sucks. I am lazy.

Faiaoga
02-12-2013, 07:20 AM
:huh: I hope Rick remembers to carry his "sapelu" (machete), dry pieces of beach hibiscus wood and coconut husk material for making fires using the Poynesian Fire Plow technique. His Swains Island outfit won't be complete without these items. Faiaoga