PDA

View Full Version : survival food and field cookers

carpet_ninja
03-16-2008, 12:16 PM
does anyone know where i can get survival food or field cookers, preferebly in the uk? are there any cookers that are safe for a less experianced user to use:)

Rick
03-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Any food can be survival food. You don't have to buy high priced MREs or Mountain House products unless you just want to. Groceries, at least here in the States, are stocking more and more dehydrated foods and foods in foil packages. You can even make your own dehydrated foods.

Here's a couple of food sites in Britain, though:

http://www.completeoutdoors.co.uk/default.php?cPath=154

http://www.proadventure.co.uk/acatalog/Camping_Food.html#a435

As for stoves, you'll have to decide first on what type you want; Wood burning, alcohol, isopropyl/butane (isopro), white gas, solid fuel. The list is almost endless. All have their good points and bad. If you want something that is easy to use in most weather, maintenance free (or nearly), does a nice job cooking and boiling, then you might think about an alcohol stove. Trangia makes a nice one and the UK has easy access to them.

http://www.simplyhike.co.uk/SearchResults.aspx?Reset=1&Loopback=1&Manufacturer=1411

Hope that helps.

carpet_ninja
03-16-2008, 02:34 PM
thanks a lot rick, that really helps, and thankyou for giving me the link for simply hike, ive been looking for a shop like this for a long time!

Rick
03-16-2008, 02:56 PM
I'm here to serve.

Tony uk
03-16-2008, 04:19 PM
A Heximine stove issued to the army works a treat for heating up MREs, Also its lightweight and low price.

Rick
03-16-2008, 05:16 PM
Another good choice. And the fuel is easy to obtain and cheap.

carpet_ninja
03-17-2008, 05:56 AM
i am a bit annoyed because in england there arnt many places you can use "survival skills" so most shops are in america and dont ship to england, i found a decent site called nitro-pak.com, wondered if you ever used it?
anyways, thanks for the suggestions on the differnt types of fuels and ovens.

do any of you know how i could get a cheap way of getting things from american eshops the england (like nitro-pak and that kind of stuff)?

nell67
03-17-2008, 07:03 AM
This is a link Tony posted a while back in the MRE thread,they have camp type stoves and food rations as well.

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/ishop/877/shopscr12.html

crashdive123
03-17-2008, 07:31 AM
i am a bit annoyed because in england there arnt many places you can use "survival skills" so most shops are in america and dont ship to england, i found a decent site called nitro-pak.com, wondered if you ever used it?

I have, and have never had a problem with the things I purchased.

Rick
03-17-2008, 07:45 AM
Same here on Nitro-Pak.

I have no idea how you would get things cheaply to the UK. Mailing rates will apply no matter how you do it as long as you purchase from a US company.

Beo
03-17-2008, 07:55 AM
He's right Rick those were great links, I got a Bass Pro here but their hiking section leaves a lot to be desired, only 3 kinds of tents in store, rope is scarce if you find it there at all, and they are always out of stock on things. Baclpacks galore though, several mess kits to choose from, hiking poles, and lanterns and that's about it. They need a new hiking section manager.

canid
03-17-2008, 08:09 AM
i love when outdoors stores carry 6 different brands of identical aluminum mess kits all from taiwan and probably made in the same factory.

crashdive123
03-17-2008, 08:11 AM
Carpet Ninja - another place you may want to check is Amazon.com. I have picked up some good stuff there. I know that they ship world wide, just don't know what shipping rates would be to you.

awfoxden
03-17-2008, 12:46 PM
also you can make alchol stove yourself that work great -
popcan stoves
cat food container stoves
i have a plan to beable to make a woodburning cook stove out of steel food cans.

if you use your imagination and look on the net you can make everything you may need for next to nothing. re-use instead of throw away.

Tony uk
03-17-2008, 01:15 PM
This is a link Tony posted a while back in the MRE thread,they have camp type stoves and food rations as well.

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/ishop/877/shopscr12.html

One thing to note tho, AVOID WEB-TEX CLOTHING !!!!! Its a cheap immitation of the real thing, It falls appart at the sligtest touch, Their survival kits are made up of sub-standard material, Dont trust them even if you think its a good price or item

dilligaf2u2
03-17-2008, 01:31 PM
http://zenstoves.net/

Best I can help with.

Food? Just take bacon. Lots and lots of bacon.

Don

Beo
03-17-2008, 01:45 PM
Don exactually how much bacon do you eat?

canid
03-17-2008, 05:56 PM
keeping in mind that if you measure it in ounces of arterial colesterol/day it's not a habit, it's a lifestyle.

Rick
03-17-2008, 08:09 PM
Canid - When you can actually see the lump cholesterol flowing through the artery under the skin....it's a habit.:rolleyes:

Bacon is actually good for you.....and in keepings with siting my sources:

NEWSPAPER ARTICLE SOURCE:
Leary WE. Study finds that nitrites in the body greatly aid blood flow. New York Times 2003 November 3 : A14 (col. 3).

Bacon anyone?

carpet_ninja
03-18-2008, 04:32 PM
I have dealt with Nitro-Pak, I had a good experience with them. Try BCB I think they are UK based. I know they sell a lot of UK army gear.

will do, thanks for the advice

BACON BACON LOTS OF BACON!!!

so do any of you have a solution for getting from nitro pak to the uk?, theres some stuff on there thats pretty cool, plus i want to go camping

klkak
03-30-2008, 08:12 PM
Bacon and eggs every morning is my cure for alzimer.

BraggSurvivor
03-30-2008, 08:38 PM
An egg (not fried) is concidered the perfect breakfast food. Bacon is the desert. Not a day goes by that I dont have my morning eggs. Fresh out my chickens butt. :p

Rick
03-30-2008, 08:45 PM
Don't you wash them first?

BraggSurvivor
03-30-2008, 09:32 PM
Nope, we never wash the eggs. As you clean an egg, it pushes the bacteria into the pores of the shell and ultimately into the egg. Really dirty eggs we feed to the dogs. There maybe the odd smudge of mud or poop on an egg from their feet. Everyone knows when they buy the eggs from my daugters they may be a little poop. I had to educate them.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Focus_on_Shell_Eggs/index.asp

nell67
03-30-2008, 09:52 PM
"How Often Does a Hen Lay an Egg?
The entire time from ovulation to laying is about 25 hours. Then about 30 minutes later, the hen will begin to make another one."

This bit of information from that link,is not true,I have butcherd many laying hens that have had up to 14 eggs,in varying degrees of developent,including 2 fully developed eggs,in their reproductive tract at the time of slaughter.
Wonder how they came up with their info on that one.

BraggSurvivor
03-30-2008, 10:00 PM
I think they mean shells nell. A good layer should have upto 30 yokes of various sizes inside her...from tiny pea size to the next day yoke. They only produce the whites and shells every 25 hours or so. Did you ever notice they lay six days in a row and take the seventh off.

Maybe I got religeous chickens? :confused:

nell67
03-30-2008, 10:04 PM
That is not exactly true,like I said,the ones I have butchered have had 2 FULLY developed eggs in their system,including the shell,they have also had 1 or more "soft" shelled egg in which the shell simply has not hardened yet.

BraggSurvivor
03-30-2008, 10:14 PM
That is not exactly true,like I said,the ones I have butchered have had 2 FULLY developed eggs in their system,including the shell,they have also had 1 or more "soft" shelled egg in which the shell simply has not hardened yet.

Cool, never seen that. Were they younger chickens nell?

nell67
03-30-2008, 10:22 PM
They were about 2 years old.

BraggSurvivor
03-30-2008, 10:26 PM
Ya, about the right time to put them in the pot. You got me nell, Ive honestly never experienced that. Certainly plausible for sure.

nell67
03-30-2008, 10:30 PM
Some hens will lay twice a day,really good hens,but I have a rule in my hen house,if I catch you eating eggs,you're toast.:D

Rick
03-31-2008, 07:23 AM
Poopy eggs and toast. Not my idea of a good breakfast. Bacon. Now you can drag bacon through the mud and not hurt it. But I like my eggs sanitized, homogenized, pasteurized and any other ized you can throw in. Just don't want 'em runny.

BraggSurvivor
03-31-2008, 10:42 AM
Flavor Rick, think flavor. Cleaning the eggs actually ruins the flavor. My wife always gives me the worse ones and keeps the cleanest for the sales.

Typical morning when out of poopy eggs:

wife - "how do you want your eggs this morning sweatheart"?

me - "extra poopy please pumpkin"

wife - "I'm sorry honey bunches, we are all out of poopy eggs"

me - "no thanks then sugar plum, I'll wait till tomorrow then.

Rick
03-31-2008, 11:29 AM
Now I know your lyin'! People only talk like that before they are married.

One of the guys I worked with was always complaining about his wife never fixing him a hot breakfast. Another manager said, "My wife fixes me breakfast every morning. Whatever I want."

Soooo. Pete went home and the next morning told his wive, "I'm really tired of cereal for breakfast. Don's wife fixes him a hot breakfast every morning."

Pete's wife picked up the bowl of cereal, stuck it in the microwave and placed it back on the table steaming. "There you go," she said.

"What'd ya do, Pete?" I asked.

"Ate it and kept my mouth shut."

"Good man."