PDA

View Full Version : North Georgia Edibles?

t-bone
02-04-2013, 01:05 PM
I am wanting to find someone in my area with extensive knowledge of the edible plants in my area. Any volunteers

mountainmark
02-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Don't know if it's close enough but a lot of people here think highly of the "eat the weeds" guy in FL. Don't know of anyone else.

http://www.eattheweeds.com/

Batch
02-04-2013, 11:04 PM
North Georgia is far enough that most Eastern United States edible books will have you covered.

Winter
02-04-2013, 11:07 PM
Morals, my favorite fungus. Wild onions and ramps. Anywhere in the SE has crawdads.

That there is a stew.

Eastree
02-04-2013, 11:22 PM
I see plenty of wood sorrel, dandelions are a given, and a couple types of wild greens/letuces (to be more general about it). I know squat of fungi, so I have no recommendations. Also add the occasional wild carrot. Wild grape species are also findable, as well as other berries come summer. Pecans drop in abundance in the autumn.

WolfVanZandt
02-05-2013, 02:17 AM
Oh, a bunch of nuts - hickories, beech, acorns.

And I think I've seen wild rose up there so the hips should be available. I've also seen a variety of mints including horehound. You should be able to find sassafras - it's all over north Alabama. Violets - flowers and leaves. I believe you should be able to find nettle there.

Winnie
02-05-2013, 07:03 PM
Your Comforting Company is the man you need to speak to. He's way ahead of most folks when it comes Georgia edibles. He does demos and and such too.

your_comforting_company
02-11-2013, 10:13 AM
I'm scheduled to do a boy scout hike in a few weeks in my area (will tell you guys about my weekend when I finish reading new posts :D), to introduce them to USABLE plants, NOT edibles.
I recommend that you go to your local County Extension Agent and ask him what books he uses to identify plants. If you cannot achieve CERTAINTY of any plants identity, then it is off the list of edibles. Learn Latin names of the plants that you can identify, whether they are edible or not. Once you know the plant by heart, you can worry about it's edibility and uses.
That said, there are many "meaty" stonecrop plants in your area, as well as many useful asters, and edible tubers.
Given the information I've been over, the Peterson guides are lackey. Nothing beats actual PICTURES of the plants and their FLOWERS.

A good starting point is "Weeds of the South" published by UGA Press. Audobon Society quality descriptions, and high res pictures. Also includes info regarding Toxicity (for livestock farmers). This book will help you learn the ones in your back yard and a surprising many that are in the forests.