PDA

View Full Version : emergency candles

wareagle69
03-15-2008, 11:52 PM
what kind of candles have any of ya'll used i have lots of tealight candles and a couple of lanterns that are mande for them for a nice way to hang the light in safety kind of nice atmospere but does not throw much light out seems the wax chockes most of the wick so i would not recomend them if you need bright light i don't mind them for throwing a minimal amout of soft light..

always be prepared-prepare all ways

Canadian-guerilla
03-16-2008, 12:16 AM
the first thing i look at is price
i went to Canadian Tire and looked in the camping section

Coghlan's Emergency Candles (http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=140847439 6672289&bmUID=1205640941919&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442155789&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true) - what a rip

then i went to the dollar store and picked up 10 five inch candles for a buck

MCBushbaby
03-16-2008, 02:59 AM
I took an old tealight candle and carved it down so it would fit in a corner of my altoid's tin. Works really well just to get wet tinder burning, ya'know

Rick
03-16-2008, 06:28 AM
For home emergencies we have all kinds of candles. She used to get those crappy fruity smelling things. I said, "They gotta go." If they don't smell like diesel exhaust or fresh sawed lumber I don't need to smell them.

For my pack, I carry tea candles. Those little goobers about two inches across and 1/2 inch high.

nell67
03-16-2008, 06:50 AM
I have tons of candles,from tea lights on up to the very large scented ones with 3 or 4 wicks in them.I even have pine scented ones that I burn almost daily.

canid
03-16-2008, 07:52 AM
they make those scents in an aroma therapy oil rick? i think i know what to get you for christmas.

Rick
03-16-2008, 08:01 AM
I've always thought the smelly candle industry was missing half their customer base. They make those candles smell like passion fruit and tooty fruity or guava (whatever that is). The guys would buy it if it smelled like a locker room, used motor oil, diesel exhaust or a boiled egg fa*t. ...... Don't give me that. You'd buy the boiled egg fa*t scent and you know you would. You'd burn it in the bedroom while your better half was taking a bath just to pi** her off and get a good laugh. The whole house would have that candle burning if the guys were coming over for card night.

Guys walking through back door.

"Oh, man. What is that?"
"Candle."
All laugh.
"Is that the new boiled egg fa*t?"
"Yeah, what do you think?"
"Rank, lacks sensitivity, cool. I like it."
all agree in background

crashdive123
03-16-2008, 08:06 AM
I have lots of different types of candles. I have a bunch like the coghlin's in your link. I think I got them at Wal Mart - 3 packs for about 2 bucks.

nell67
03-16-2008, 08:08 AM
Well Rick,there's a new business venture for you,but I'm guessing its gonna get pretty lonely in the bedroom if you do that often.

crashdive123
03-16-2008, 08:09 AM
Egg fa*t candles? Maybe not so much. Bacon scented candles? Now we're talking!

Rick
03-16-2008, 08:28 AM
Oooh. Bacon candles. I wrote that one down!!

JRJ
03-16-2008, 10:59 AM
I prefer oil lamps at the home.

-JRJ

Sourdough
03-16-2008, 12:16 PM
Got about 15 Coleman gas lanterns left from the Guide business. And now they burn regular gas.

Tony uk
03-16-2008, 04:28 PM
In the summer i take large Citronella (Sp ?) candels to keep the bugs away, Works nicely and no damm spray is needed :D

A store called Poundland (Everything sells for £1) has large bags of tealights (The small ones in the little silver holder) and some large ones with are good value.

dilligaf2u2
03-16-2008, 04:52 PM
Each of the cars have 120 hour candles in a can. I have either an 85 or 120 hour candle in a can in each room of the house. There are 12 oil lamps and at least a hundred candles laying around the house.

I have a 12 to 20 flashlights in the house.

Light is not a problem when the electricity go's out. As for cooking when the lights go out. The Coleman 502's are ready, willing and able to cover what we need.

BraggSurvivor
03-16-2008, 04:54 PM
I've always thought the smelly candle industry was missing half their customer base. They make those candles smell like passion fruit and tooty fruity or guava (whatever that is). The guys would buy it if it smelled like a locker room, used motor oil, diesel exhaust or a boiled egg fa*t. ...... Don't give me that. You'd buy the boiled egg fa*t scent and you know you would. You'd burn it in the bedroom while your better half was taking a bath just to pi** her off and get a good laugh. The whole house would have that candle burning if the guys were coming over for card night.

Guys walking through back door.

"Oh, man. What is that?"
"Candle."
All laugh.
"Is that the new boiled egg fa*t?"
"Yeah, what do you think?"
"Rank, lacks sensitivity, cool. I like it."
all agree in background

They have got it covered here Rick:

http://www.manterns.com/

Rick
03-16-2008, 05:12 PM
My idea has been pilfered!!!!!! Now I'm upset. You heard it here first. Why I outta.....Hey, they have cheeseburger. Mmmmm.

Tony uk
03-16-2008, 05:40 PM
My idea has been pilfered!!!!!! Now I'm upset. You heard it here first. Why I outta.....Hey, they have cheeseburger. Mmmmm.

*Steals all the cheeseburgers* Muahahahahaaha !!!!!

crashdive123
03-16-2008, 07:07 PM
In the summer i take large Citronella (Sp ?) candels to keep the bugs away, Works nicely and no damm spray is needed :D

A store called Poundland (Everything sells for £1) has large bags of tealights (The small ones in the little silver holder) and some large ones with are good value.

Was in Walmart today. Thought I'd check candles since I read this thread this morning. The little 9 hr candles (regular of citronilla) were $1.98 for a two pack. Smaller tealight candles were about $1.50 for a bag of 50.

Sarge47
03-16-2008, 07:32 PM
I have "Pink Lady" candles in with my Emergency Gear. I also have some of those Thick "Emergency candles that Coleman puts out and a candle lantern I got from Wal-Mart along with some of the spare candles for it that are over an inch thick and about 5" long.:cool:

crashdive123
03-16-2008, 07:35 PM
I have "Pink Lady" candles in with my Emergency Gear. I also have some of those Thick "Emergency candles that Coleman puts out and a candle lantern I got from Wal-Mart along with some of the spare candles for it that are over an inch thick and about 5" long.:cool:

I love those little lanterns. Did quite a bit of snow camping in the Olympics and Cascades. That one little lantern hanging down from the center of the tent kept me toasty warm. I also had a little brandy snifter attachment for the top. Ahhhh - nothing like a bit of warm brandy after a day of playing in the snow.

GVan
03-17-2008, 02:05 AM
what kind of candles have any of ya'll used i have lots of tealight candles and a couple of lanterns that are mande for them for a nice way to hang the light in safety kind of nice atmospere but does not throw much light out seems the wax chockes most of the wick so i would not recomend them if you need bright light i don't mind them for throwing a minimal amout of soft light..

always be prepared-prepare all ways

Down here people are more likely to use 7" storm/emergency candles, but I've seen and used jarred candles, and that way the wax is used in the burning of the candle and not spilled all over the table. I'd never put a candle above hear level due to wax leakage.

I also have several of my grandmother's kerosine lamps. There's no wax leaksge with these and some are quite nice to leave out.:)

wareagle69
03-17-2008, 12:07 PM
i have lanterns that the tealites go into so i am not worried about leakage plus tealights do not leak in my experince that is why they are flat just puddlein the container which is also why not much lite cuz not much wick burning

awfoxden
03-17-2008, 12:30 PM
i also have picked up the box of ten 5 hour emergency candles at the dolar store. great buy - way cheaper than even wallmart. also have some sented candles for my wife. you can also pick up little prefilled oil lamps at wall mart that are refillable for about 1.50 and it will burn for around 9-10 hours - have very little smoke - and no mess. they come with a plastic lid that seals the wick so when not in use there is no evaporation loss from the wick. good buy for an emergency candle - you can also pull the wick out for a larger flame if you desire more lite.

Beo
03-17-2008, 01:31 PM
I have plain homemade beeswax candles.

Chicago Dan
03-17-2008, 03:10 PM
Lucky for me my wife had a candle fetish. I say had because even she knew we had hit maximum density.
I do save the scraps of wax in a coffee can that I heat over dying coals to get a uniform mess. Add a couple wicks and they will burn for days!
I use these out in the yard in the summer.
Remember I was combining many types/scents...yuk!
They only throw the light up but are really used as path lights. I imagine a stout mason type jar would be better for over all illumination.

GVan
03-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Hey Dan,

Your wife would probable think that the "stench" of all those candles smells really great. After all, she probably burned them all seperately at the same time any way. I know that my wife does.

GVan
03-17-2008, 03:43 PM

The best kind to have. Parafine is made from petrolium. And you could possibly grow the bees wax yourself.

hillbilly1987
03-17-2008, 05:53 PM

ya thats what i got to make soon is some bees wax candles becouse they are alot better

Assassin Pilot
03-19-2008, 03:30 PM
Oooh. Bacon candles. I wrote that one down!!

you could make those yourself. Just take bacon fat / grease, melt it nice and good and then let it cool around a regular candle, or melt the actual candle and re-cool it with the bacon mixed in. They should work pretty well (never tried it but logically at least it would work)

canid
03-19-2008, 03:59 PM
i'd rather eat my pork bellies in the dark. what a waste...

Rick
03-19-2008, 04:04 PM
I prefer artificially enhancements and other additives for my bacon candles. I'll leave the bacon fat for my hard tack.:D

Alpine_Sapper
03-19-2008, 04:29 PM
you could make those yourself. Just take bacon fat / grease, melt it nice and good and then let it cool around a regular candle, or melt the actual candle and re-cool it with the bacon mixed in. They should work pretty well (never tried it but logically at least it would work)

I think the grease would significantly alter the consistency of the wax, causing issues with the candle holding together. Or simply turn into a long burning grease fire. Anyone up for expermination?

Rick
03-19-2008, 04:34 PM
What? And waste perfectly good bacon grease?

canid
03-19-2008, 04:36 PM
if you used a hard wax and not too much grease it would be hard enough. hrm; if you're really desperate -bacon quillig anyone?

Chicago Dan
03-19-2008, 05:12 PM
OK I know this may sound like sacrilege but maybe replace the original wick with a thin strip of bacon fat wrapped around a downsized wick.

I know, I know, new guy is an idiot.

GVan
03-19-2008, 05:28 PM

Historically, rendered animal lard/fat was used to make candles. How do you think the pilgrims made their candles. Mainly, the honey bees here in the U.S. today, excluding the africanized bees, are form Europe.

One note though,... Rendered candles are quite smoky. Did you ever throw left over bacon fat onto a camp fite? Smooookey.:cool:

GVan
03-19-2008, 05:30 PM
OK I know this may sound like sacrilege but maybe replace the original wick with a thin strip of bacon fat wrapped around a downsized wick.

I know, I know, new guy is an idiot.

Just stay out of Rick's reach.:D

crashdive123
03-19-2008, 05:43 PM
Did you ever throw left over bacon fat onto a camp fite? Smooookey.:cool:

GVan...you....you....SCOFFLAW!!!!:mad::eek::D

GVan
03-19-2008, 06:16 PM
GVan...you....you....SCOFFLAW!!!!:mad::eek::D

I'm not packing anything more out of the bust than I have to. How was it put un another thread? Weight management.?.?:p

At home I have a pan on the stove to collect all drippings. After all, You can't make a good roux without it.

Rick
03-19-2008, 06:20 PM
Then leave a leg or an arm behind if weight is a problem. Throwing perfectly good, nitrite saturated, bacon grease in the camp fire is like French kissing your grandmother. It can be done but it's just not accepted in polite circles. Criminee

CD - You keep talking like that and we'll find one of Al Capone's vaults for you.

crashdive123
03-19-2008, 06:28 PM
Come here sweetie. Give us a kiss.

http://www.magicalrabbit.com/ebay/Granny_gallery.jpg

GVan
03-19-2008, 06:29 PM
Then leave a leg or an arm behind if weight is a problem. Throwing perfectly good, nitrite saturated, bacon grease in the camp fire is like French kissing your grandmother. It can be done but it's just not accepted in polite circles. Criminee

CD - You keep talking like that and we'll find one of Al Capone's vaults for you.

Mine's been dead since 65, so I don't have to worry about it.

He! He! He!

Don't get your nickers in such an up roar, Rick.

I can't eat very mich bacon with my V.A. issued dentures. And since I'm almost always making a grave of some sort, usually by the time I've left a camp site I've used the majority of it if not all of it.

I've been camping since Kennedy. A looong time.

The first time I went camping, my cousin, uncles and myself went into the bayous to go crawfishing. They tasted GREAT.

Rick
03-19-2008, 06:31 PM
You need a bacon IV. Where's Don when I need him. Hey!!! Mr. Bacon!!! Where you at?