PDA

View Full Version : buffalo chips

rebel
03-15-2008, 09:42 PM
cow patty, dried dung, ... Has anyone cooked over these sources of heat? Do they impart a taste to the food?

flandersander
03-16-2008, 01:23 AM
Honestly no but I think it would taste pretty bad. I'm just assuming Not from expierence. sorry i can't add anymore.

Rick
03-16-2008, 06:35 AM
No, I've never done it. I don't know why it would smell bad. Dry dung has been used since Hector was a pup. The dung from any ruminant would be mostly grasses so once it dried it should burn just fine.

canid
03-16-2008, 07:25 AM
to put it into perspective, i sometimes pasturize dried cow or horse manure on my back patio, and even that [provided it has fully dried] does not smell to strongly to object to having my kitchen window open.

Rick
03-16-2008, 07:34 AM
Pasturize manure? I'm not even going to ask how you do that.:p

canid
03-16-2008, 07:37 AM
too bad, you just immerse it in sub boiling [165-175f] water for 45 min to an hour then drip dry/cool in a cotton bag. it's for gourmet mushrooms.

Rick
03-16-2008, 07:43 AM
See? It's that drip dry part I didn't want to know about.

But here is the really important part. We've had tons of posts on how dangerous eating mushrooms can be. So...send them to me and I'll test them for you and let you know if they are okay to eat. I'll warn you, though. Testing mushrooms is not an exact science and may require several tests to determine.

(The rest of you just stay back. I got in line first!).

canid
03-16-2008, 07:45 AM
no i'm pretty good at identification, thanks all the same, especially when they're my own isolates from grocery store stock. :)

Rick
03-16-2008, 07:48 AM
Now don't be hasty. Give it some thought. I'd hate for them to find you face down in a tub of "sub boiling [165-175f] water" full of cow poo. Crappy way to go (Ooops. Pun Alert).

rebel
03-16-2008, 09:33 AM
The show I saw they had a pile of chips next to their cooking fire. The same hand feed the fire and prepared the food with no washing in between. Anyway, I wondered about the taste. In this instance how could you tell if it was the fire or the hand.

For what it's worth, you do see alot of shrooms among the plops.

Rick
03-16-2008, 09:36 AM
I'm not certain of what show you are referencing. But many cultures use different hands to eat with and other duties. Typically, the right hand for other duties and the left hand for eating. Perhaps that's how they got around it. I'd be in trouble all the time. I'm left handed.

dilligaf2u2
03-17-2008, 01:08 PM
It does not inpart the taste to the food. Buffalo that is. I never tried cow pies.

Don

your_comforting_company
01-18-2011, 12:25 AM
I read about using free-range cow dung for firing pottery, but with a lot of the minerals farmers feed the cows nowadays, I wonder if there might be some chemical reactions? That would be my only concern with using it to cook over. In a container I wouldn't worry too much, but it is supposedly a very good fuel. I get enough pallets and scrap wood that I haven't had to resort to burning poop yet.