PDA

View Full Version : Shelters

flandersander
03-15-2008, 08:43 PM
What kind of shelters could you make out here on the plains of saskatchewan? Does anybody know?

BraggSurvivor
03-15-2008, 08:54 PM
Never thought about it out there. Possibly the banks of a coulee? Ive hunted antelope out there and the only place that wasnt flat were the coulee's.

rebel
03-15-2008, 09:04 PM
Tepee or sod maybe?

flandersander
03-15-2008, 09:48 PM
there are lots of bushes around here so that is probably my best bet. they are all white poplar and willow. what uses do these woods have? also who ever thought of saskatchewan plains survival? i mean les stroud or bear grilz never went out here. maybe for lack of resources. thoughts?

marberry
03-15-2008, 10:28 PM
south or north Saskatchewan plains? my family lives in near every town east of lloyd minster and we go there often so i have a lil outdoors experience there. your best bet would be to bring a tarp and make a tent out of some poplar poles. as for les and bear; its not very extreme there so there wont be the thrills that make a tv show sell.

flandersander
03-16-2008, 12:15 AM
Well I live just south of saskatoon if that helps. it seems more northern than anything but I may be wrong.i dunno we get some nasty gales here. the fact that there aren't many trees makes the winds pretty strong. and 40 below to boot. also do they live in lashburn? cuz my sisters boyfriend used to live there.

MCBushbaby
03-16-2008, 03:04 AM
Not familiar with the Sassy plains but if it's anything like the American great plains, a sod house is your easiest option. Because, heck, everywhere you look is sod. Cut into blocks, stack. :)

RobertRogers
03-16-2008, 12:17 PM
Yes, do as the animals - go underground or build up the ground around you.

flandersander
03-19-2008, 12:49 AM
well most of where I live is farmers fields. not sod but cultivated earth and straw.