PDA

View Full Version : Tornadoes hit Atlanta AGAIN

crashdive123
03-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Now that they have hit two days in a row, I wonder how many people in downtown Atlanta figured - tornado????? can't happen here. Kind of reinforces why we prepare.

Frank - hope you're doing OK.

BraggSurvivor
03-15-2008, 04:34 PM
I heard that on satellite radio this morning.....I hope everyone is OK.

mbarnatl
03-16-2008, 07:47 PM
My sister was 2 blocks away from the CNN Center when that hit. She didn't even know until the next morning( she was passed out drunk). We had several circulations pass over us, one tornado touched down a mile away. Had golf ball size hail. Damaged some neighbor's cars. It was like I was living back in Texas yesterday.

crashdive123
03-16-2008, 07:49 PM
Glad you're doing OK.

Aurelius95
03-16-2008, 09:08 PM
I live in Duluth, GA, about 25 miles from downtown Atlanta. We're famous for the "runaway bride" and where the Atlanta courthouse killer was captured 3 years ago this month (Brian Nichols). The picture below is of my neighbor's house. This happened a few weeks ago. I heard the tree fall on a Tuesday morning around 6:45. Fortunately, nobody was in the room that got demolished.

http://images.cdmazika.com/images/4rv7qt99h7str9hjf3zv_thumb.jpg (http://images.cdmazika.com/viewer.php?file=4rv7qt99h7str9hjf3zv.jpg)

FVR
03-16-2008, 09:19 PM
I'm up here just north of Cartersville. We had them hit yesterday around noon coming in from Alabama. They ran about 3 miles south of us and from what chan. 5 said, about 3 miles north of us.

When I heard the sirens, we hit the downstairs area, it's in the middle of the house, two walls from three sides, and two walls and two vehicles on the other. Put down mattress', blankets, the wife was reading to the two kids, the two dogs, a hamster and our two fish. I placed another mattress positioned to be pulled down over us if needed.

It was an hour and a half adventure as the two tornados where slowing down, when they crossed Allatoona lake, we relaxed but stayed put for another 15 minutes. Darn things turn on a dime.

nell67
03-16-2008, 09:20 PM
OUCH!!! that isn't good,glad everyone's ok though.

Aurelius95
03-16-2008, 09:33 PM
the wife was reading to the two kids, the two dogs, a hamster and our two fish. I placed another mattress positioned to be pulled down over us if needed.

We were ready to head to the basement level as well, in the laundry room. All the plumbing runs through this room, so we figured it'd be the best place to sit (alhtough a tub falling through didn't appeal to me).

All that being said, FVR, we were prepared to sacrifice the pet fish!:D:D
My wife, however, was unprepared to let the cat fend for herself, so she was going to go with us too.

crashdive123
03-16-2008, 09:41 PM
It seems that while watching the news reports there were just so many people that were unaware of the approaching weather. Talked to a friend in Lawrenceville today that had no idea of the severity of the storms that were coming. Sometimes our weather radio gets cussed at in the middle of the night when we get a marine alert, but I will never be without one. Our friend is going to get an early Christmas present.

GVan
03-17-2008, 01:34 AM
Now that they have hit two days in a row, I wonder how many people in downtown Atlanta figured - tornado????? can't happen here. Kind of reinforces why we prepare.

Frank - hope you're doing OK.

I seem to remember back about '86, there was a tornado which went wight through your neck of the woods and crossed four states. You are on the edge of the foot hills to the Appalatians there in the Atlanta area. Just pretend that its name is Sherman and just let it pass to the sea.

One thing good about your area though, you're high enough in altatude to have cellars. If it came through here we're f@*$&d.

Still glad you and yours is well.:D

crashdive123
03-17-2008, 07:28 AM
One thing good about your area though, you're high enough in altatude to have cellars. If it came through here we're f@*$&d.

Not me - I'm in Florida.

Rick
03-17-2008, 07:56 AM
Last year the Indiana legislature mandated weather radios had to be included in modular homes and trailers. It will probably save lives.

nell67
03-17-2008, 08:08 AM
Only the new ones though?

Rick
03-17-2008, 08:12 AM
Right. Sorry. I wasn't clear. Just newly manufactured and supplied by the manufacturer.

GVan
03-17-2008, 03:51 PM
Not me - I'm in Florida.

So am I and over the past 10 years 2 have trounced through my neighborhood. Another 6 through the Air base near by.:eek:

crashdive123
03-17-2008, 08:11 PM
What I meant was....yes we get tornados here, and no I do not have a basement. Sorry for the confusion