PDA

View Full Version : Lifespan of first aid stuff.

sgtmcboom
01-23-2013, 04:44 PM
I have some suture kits that are expired by a couple of years but they are not open and have always been sealed.

I was just wondering does anyone know if things like this actually go bad? Or is it just more of a recomendation?

GreatUsername
01-23-2013, 06:20 PM
I don't know about sutures, but I know that many OVC meds will last a few years past their expiration, just with lesser potency. Minor pain meds and fever reducers are particularly good this way, Tylenol and Advil for example. I've also heard that Vicodin and stuff is the same way, but I don't know.

jfeatherjohn
01-24-2013, 10:34 AM
I haven't thought about this.
I jusy e-mailed a trusted resouce to ask if he had any info.
I'll post back.

nell67
01-24-2013, 11:13 AM
I think it is more of a recommendation,however I would reseal them in one of those food type vacuum sealers to help insure nothing gets into them,sealing small "pouches" of first aid supplies in those would keep them sterile for a long time as long as they are not damaged,and would keep them waterproof.

jfeatherjohn
01-24-2013, 01:06 PM
I just got an email from Dr Hubbard (The Survival Doctor) and he says they should be good as long as the packaging is good. The vacuum sealing idea is a very good one
I only carry one suture kit, as I don't like the idea of suturing in the field much; too difficult to get a wound really clean out there.
I have steristrips in several different sizes that would prefer to use, first. They are less likely to trap an infection.
BTW, Krazy Glue is the least toxic of the formulations that I have seen, and I have closed wounds it it. A few of those individual use tubes are a good idea for first aid kits, but carry the same downside as suturing.

hunter63
01-24-2013, 01:08 PM
This is always gonna be a concern, with all your perishable supplies, not just first aid/meds.

If you have a lot of stuff scattered around, (deploy your assets), keeping it all up-dated is of a constant concern.

The other day I was in my basement/shop/man cave....(home of the karaoke machine, which some of you will understand), went looking for a "Tums"....looked to teh BOB hanging on the shelf, FAK.......Unopened roll, maybe a couple of years old.....hard as a rock,....too lazy/busy to go upstairs to get a fresh one....so tried it anyway....worked.....

Note to self, FAK need up-date/replenishing

intothenew
01-24-2013, 02:09 PM
For inventory, and I have just started this a few months ago, use google calendar. You can set it to email you a reminder on expiration. Enter the item and expiration, what kit is it in, and set a reminder for a day/week/month advance notice. It works for literally thousands of things, pantry items, first aid supplies, garden seed, batteries, anaconda feeding times, etc. etc.

To the sutures particularly, I wouldn't trust them. Yes, the vacuum bag would help, but I consider it late. Things oxidize, without "contamination". Get a new kit, vacuum seal it immediately, then you can trust it for some extended period. How long? Buy a new one and tensile test the old against it? Microscope/magnifying glass compare the surfaces of each? The manufacturer has been through those tests. It ain't worth the risk, it's more than germs.

welderguy
01-24-2013, 02:33 PM
Before I commented I asked a Nurse about the expiration dates on Medical supplies, His reply was " as long as the seal is intact it should be good" "some Item do break down after time such as suture's , hemostatic gauze , adhesive on bandages, and surgical tubing . I asked what actually breaks down on a suture he said some materials become weaker over time and are more likely break when tied or will dissolve too soon. hope that helps some.

sgtmcboom
01-24-2013, 02:44 PM
Ok great information. I just got a new Ifak set up on my pack and one of the things was an out dated suture kit. I have used superglue as well and it works great and works instantly. I would only use the suture kit if the superglue wouldent work for some reason. I was mainly wondering if the suture line would break down over time or if it was sealed it would be ok. Its good to think about the lifespan of prepping items as when you need it you dont want to then realize its worthless.

cowgirlup
01-24-2013, 06:43 PM
Good to know about the suture kits. Although I don't think they would cause any harm but just nit hold the stitch.

You can also get Vetbond. It's the veterinary brand of Dermabond. Basically a good, non toxic superglue. Dermabond is pretty expensive. I got the vetbond on Amazon fo a reasonable price.

SQWERL
01-24-2013, 07:11 PM
if you have any kind of clear medical tubing (oxygen, suction, etc.) make sure you check it often. if you notice it starting to get a yellowish tinge to it throw it out. it starting to breakdown and it will also feel kinda sticky. also if you have loved ones on long term oxygen use make sure the tubing and cannula is replaced often due to germs and bacteria that can grow in it.

welderguy
01-24-2013, 08:01 PM
And just to let ya all know sutures are pretty cheap to get I just got a new 12 pk box of 3/0 mono for 7.50 shipped exp 05 of 2017

sgtmcboom
01-24-2013, 08:04 PM
Where did ya get it for that cheap?

welderguy
01-24-2013, 08:11 PM
Where did ya get it for that cheap?

This box came from Ebay. sent you a PM with the info

1stimestar
01-24-2013, 08:27 PM
I imagine it would also matter under what conditions it was stored. IE the trunk of my car through a Texas summer vs the trunk of my car through an Alaskan summer...

welderguy
01-24-2013, 09:01 PM
I imagine it would also matter under what conditions it was stored. IE the trunk of my car through a Texas summer vs the trunk of my car through an Alaskan summer...

Oh good question, I will ask my friend about that and let ya know what he says.

welderguy
01-25-2013, 12:42 AM
I got a reply about the storage in hot and cold weathers , First thing he said was DONT leave your bag in the trunk or car ever if your not with it . he said always keep it in the cab so it has climate control , extreme heat will shorten the life of many products . extreme cold isnt as bad except for freezing danger. prolonged exposer to extreme heat will break down the sterile packaging as well as compromise the integrity of the material. sutures being one of them .

Dennis
01-25-2013, 08:14 AM
Thanks for all the great info.

wackdee
01-27-2013, 01:42 AM
Many medical supplies have expiration dates for one reason: litigaion.

Sutures, alcohol wipes, band aids, and other isolated non-drug supplies will (if the packaging is undamaged) virtually never expire.
But the lawyers love a chance to make money.

However, some medications (especially certain prescriptions) can actually degrade chemically, producing toxic byproducts.
It's best to have relevant information on any prescription drug you may have.

welderguy
01-27-2013, 02:23 AM
Hi wackdee,

Alcohol wipes tend to dry out after a period of time even if sealed, sutures may remain sterile long after the exp date but strength of the material can become weak.
Check out this link on prescription meds. I wish this artical came with a list of drugs they tested.
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2000/04/02/drug-expiration-part-one.aspx

crashdive123
01-27-2013, 07:55 AM
Many medical supplies have expiration dates for one reason: litigaion.

Sutures, alcohol wipes, band aids, and other isolated non-drug supplies will (if the packaging is undamaged) virtually never expire.
But the lawyers love a chance to make money.

However, some medications (especially certain prescriptions) can actually degrade chemically, producing toxic byproducts.
It's best to have relevant information on any prescription drug you may have.

Litigation aside - I disagree with will virtually never expire comment...to a point. Any of the products that you mentioned, stored in a high heat environment (say, like the trunk of a car) will quickly break down and become ineffective.

welderguy
01-27-2013, 11:10 AM
everyone that may consider using any medical product that is expired NEEDS to research and KNOW what can breakdown, become inactive, become harmful, or with prescription or OTC meds possible toxic. DO NOT assume that just because we talk about it here or post a few links that its a short cut to researching all the possibility's cause and effects of the contents of your AID BAG expired or not. AND MAKE SURE your trained to use each and every item you carry.

welderguy
01-27-2013, 11:13 AM
Litigation aside - I disagree with will virtually never expire comment...to a point. Any of the products that you mentioned, stored in a high heat environment (say, like the trunk of a car) will quickly break down and become ineffective.

+1 Crash...

Even in a clinical setting under controlled environments some stuff still breaks down.

finallyME
01-30-2013, 04:22 PM
Another one that people don't realize is hydrogen peroxide. If you don't store it in a light proof container, the light will break it down into water. That is why the containers are always dark. Also, heat breaks it down faster as well. It is better to store in a freezer.

With alcohol wipes, the alcohol will pass through the packaging and evaporate.

Most medical packaging, oxygen passes right through it. A lot of times, that is designed on purpose.

DSJohnson
09-10-2013, 01:14 AM
What about EPI pens? How long do you think they are "good for" past their expiration date?

finallyME
09-10-2013, 10:03 AM
I am not a medical expert, but I would treat epi-pens differently than other OTC meds, mostly because of the different consequences. If your advil looses it's effectiveness over time, which it will, then the result is that you still have a headache. If you epi-pen loses it's effectiveness, then you can die.

DSJohnson
09-10-2013, 10:35 AM
Agreed, just wondering about storage for a long term event. I rotate my jump bag stuff pretty regularly. Part of my job is being a 1st responder in the facility where I work so I use my jump kit/fak regularly and train out of it at least every other week. I guess what I "worry about" is if/when I can not just get a refill on my script. Three of my seven grandchildren are very allergic to wasp stings.

RandyRhoads
09-10-2013, 11:22 AM
I've made the mistake of leaving my bag in my car throughout the summer for two years. Ice packs are now rock solid and a few of my narcs/ epi need to be replaced buy other than that the iv catheters tape gauze and basic bls stuff seems fine. I check it every so often though. Nothing worse than pulling up on seen out of something or having it broke...

Partly because of laziness. Mostly because I have to much damn gear to be bringing it I'm and out for every call.

hunter63
09-10-2013, 11:54 AM
Both of DW epi pens were just replaced......got nasty....

BTW, aspirin left in truck went bad.......sour/acid smelling.......truck get's left out, so even in the climate controlled cab, still gets hot and cold when not running.