PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again!

Sarge47
01-20-2013, 11:03 PM
Anti-gun folks are now using this one as a reason to ban guns:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/20/albuquerque-shooting-2013-new-mexico-teenager_n_2516424.html#slide=1888067 :no:

Stiffy
01-21-2013, 12:01 AM
Just in case there's anyone who doesn't "get it," I'll explain. The 15 year old boy is the real victim. All murderers (along with rapists, drug addicts and thieves) are actually victims. I should know, at the prison where I work, none of the 'residents' are to blame for their actions. As any of our modern 'experts' could tell you, assigning blame is counterproductive and really, really unfair. They all got sent to prison as innocent victims of a gun-crazed, cruel world. Just ask them, or ask their lawyers.

Wildthang
01-21-2013, 06:35 AM
If he used a gun that belongs to his parents, they need to charge them as well for not securing their firearms! People need to be accountable for their actions1

cowgirlup
01-21-2013, 09:29 AM
If he used a gun that belongs to his parents, they need to charge them as well for not securing their firearms! People need to be accountable for their actions1

His parents are dead. He killed them. So for a brief second they got the point. Maybe some other people will learn from all this???

Nah, probably not. That only happens in other families.

Geek
01-21-2013, 11:17 AM
While it is a shame for the victims, with all of the shootings we need more information to have a clear idea what happened. I don't feel like we have an understanding of the mental state or motives of the shooters in any of these incidents. While some of them are suicides, we have the shooter from Arizona, the Aurora, CO and others locked up. They are clearly not normal, but whether that is due to mental health or something else hasn't been publicized. Until we understand that, any prescription for what to do is likely to be ineffective.

Sarge47
01-21-2013, 12:26 PM
While it is a shame for the victims, with all of the shootings we need more information to have a clear idea what happened. I don't feel like we have an understanding of the mental state or motives of the shooters in any of these incidents. While some of them are suicides, we have the shooter from Arizona, the Aurora, CO and others locked up. They are clearly not normal, but whether that is due to mental health or something else hasn't been publicized. Until we understand that, any prescription for what to do is likely to be ineffective.

Check this out!

http://video.today.msnbc.msn.com/today/50208495#502084

It would seem that only handguns were found inside the school! :detective:

Wildthang
01-21-2013, 12:32 PM
Well it sure seems like a lot of kids are becoming murderers here lately. It might help to have a program for all patents to help them recognize dangerous tendacies in their children because it is usually the parents that purposely fail to admit that their child has a mental problem.

WolfVanZandt
01-21-2013, 12:32 PM
Since we're dealing with psychology we're never going to have a "clear" idea because we have all kinds of biases that lead us to "interpret" things certain ways. We can each "choose" the interpretation we want and we tend to not have the humility and self-honesty to choose what is instead of what we want. I bet, if you ask a lawyer, they'll tell you that they can find a psychologist to give just about any "expert witness" they want in any particular case.

Frankly, I think the guest on the view (http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?21105-We-have-to-start-to-stop-this-madness-of-killing!/page6) hit the nail squarely on the head. If so, there is no prescription, only a preventative - raise children in ways that will not lead to this kind of thing. And as Ms. Clinton said, and I agree competely, it takes a village to raise a child.

jfeatherjohn
01-21-2013, 01:00 PM
Our Arizona shooter was found incompetent to stand trial. I don't need an exact diagnosis...he's crazy.
Back in the old jail nurse days, people would say "I'm innocent!"
I would always reply, "Guilty but insane".
It's becoming OK to kill people, because we are insane.
We are suffering from our own narcisism...
Just saying...

Wildthang
01-21-2013, 01:16 PM
Our Arizona shooter was found incompetent to stand trial. I don't need an exact diagnosis...he's crazy.
Back in the old jail nurse days, people would say "I'm innocent!"
I would always reply, "Guilty but insane".
It's becoming OK to kill people, because we are insane.
We are suffering from our own narcisism...
Just saying...

Amen brother!

Yves
01-21-2013, 01:30 PM
Well it sure seems like a lot of kids are becoming murderers here lately. It might help to have a program for all patents to help them recognize dangerous tendacies in their children because it is usually the parents that purposely fail to admit that their child has a mental problem.

Part of the problem is that yes, there are people who are more prone to this due to genetic traits or some deep psychological trauma (although this is quite rare).

Broken families and communities do not provide good guidance for kids. With the changes in society, having women take up careers, has created a lack of structure for kids. This will more likely push kids over the edge when they are on the fence.

WolfVanZandt
01-21-2013, 01:31 PM
Aye, and there's been numerous articles and books published on our insane society (re: folks like Thomas Szas and Erving Goffman). It doesn't seem that we want to listen. We want to think (and reinforce the idea that) I'm okay, you're okay, even when it's obviously not so. If you say, "Maybe Obama's right and we need someone to take control," then we put our lives in the hands of people generated by the same insane society and who, judging by their dogged resistance to rationality ("Even if it helps a little, we have to do it." - well, yeah, but it's not going to help a little. It's going to throw gasoline on the fire. It's horrifying to think that our country seems to be in the hands of children.), are very much insane.