PDA

View Full Version : Survival kits for infants?

mom2be
01-12-2013, 03:14 PM
I will be a mom in May and I already have plans for survival for me and my husband, but I cant seem to find any prepardness kits or items for infants, and this is a concern for me. HELP?

Stiffy
01-12-2013, 03:19 PM
I can't speak from experience, but I would assume that you could assembled the necessary items just by looking at what you would keep in stock in a non-emergency situation, for the every day needs of an infant. Take those items and stash them in a go-bag of some kind. As you get more experience in caring for an infant, you'll have a better idea of what to put in such a bag.

jfeatherjohn
01-12-2013, 03:26 PM
Back in the SAR days, we came up with soy-based baby formula, cotton diapers, a rectal thermometer, a nuck, one piece pajamas, and blankets of course. Since babies don't maintain there own body temp well a method of carrying Junior next to your body is very important. JR also needs a shemagh of some sort, which will help JR deal with heat or cold.
A pair of dark glasses would be useful, as well.
Just some starters...

1stimestar
01-12-2013, 03:31 PM
The MOST important thing you can do is to breastfeed. Formula is not available in emergency situations not to even mention, clean water. Many many babies die each year due to not being breastfed.

intothenew
01-12-2013, 09:36 PM
This, from a Peepaw, only semi intrusted with varmints old enough to shake a stick.

An infant:

Vasoline:

Sure makes cleanup easier, I'm told that it is a preventative. I have always received said subjects coated with the elixir, and try to return the favor.

Gas Drops:

Or the corresponding exercises to ward off the offending plaque. Talk to the Doc on that one.

As has been eluded, an infant is incredibly robust given a proper diet. May I be so forward, mammary glands.

1stimestar
01-12-2013, 10:55 PM
Really, babies need so very little in actuality. A sling to wear him/her is helpful but you can also put baby inside your coat. A sling leaves your hands free though.

Rick
01-13-2013, 09:57 AM
Ear plugs.....okay, that's a joke......what they said. Just think of the basics in terms of everyday needs however you choose to raise your child and put together those non-perishable items. Diapers, meds and food. Don't forget some favorite toys, stuffed animals for example, as you baby grows. Good luck and I hope you and the baby are healthy and come through fine. Dad, too.

nell67
01-13-2013, 11:17 AM
The MOST important thing you can do is to breastfeed. Formula is not available in emergency situations not to even mention, clean water. Many many babies die each year due to not being breastfed.
Best answer right here,if you do this for your baby,you improve its immune system,PLUS you then only need carry/store food for you and your husband until the little one is old enough to require solids,you will require extra calories and nutrients,but it it much easier to supply those for yourself than trying to find sources for an infant in an emergency.

Cloth diapers are also a good idea,a little more work involved but worth the investment.

Delta 5168
01-13-2013, 06:43 PM
No answer here, but maybe an idea on where to research. I saw a program on Israeli defense preps one time and they even had special incubator-like devices to protect infants from gas attack. I think they've thought this thing through a little more thoroughly than we have. Everybody there is a survivalist.

finallyME
01-14-2013, 11:11 AM
I have 5 kids, youngest coming up on 3 yrs.
You will need lots of butt cream, diapers, wipes, food, and changes of warm clothes. A hands free way to carry the little poop machine is also helpful. That's for every day carry. Oh wait, you wanted a survival bag. Yeah, what everyone else said.

jfeatherjohn
01-14-2013, 12:17 PM

This was awhile back, admittedly, but we did some research, and depended heavily on the national SAR groups to put together our kits.
In a survival situation there are too many variables affecting a Mom's ability to nurse. If Mom cannot nurse, and I am the next option, I'm going to need that soy formula, and a little bottle would be nice.
A couple of options are always good.

1stimestar
01-14-2013, 01:55 PM
Why would mom not be able to breastfeed? Sorry, so many women say "I couldn't" when really is what they should say is "I chose not to." or "I didn't have enough support to do so." Really, only 1% of the population is physically unable to breastfeed. I'm a Certified Breastfeeding Educator and see a lot of those.

jfeatherjohn
01-14-2013, 04:07 PM
Why would mom not be able to breastfeed? Sorry, so many women say "I couldn't" when really is what they should say is "I chose not to." or "I didn't have enough support to do so." Really, only 1% of the population is physically unable to breastfeed. I'm a Certified Breastfeeding Educator and see a lot of those.

Well, just off the top of my head, you fall off a cliff, suffering a head injury and possible internal injuries. Blood pressure is currently 60 by palpation.
Baby is knocked around a little bit, but alert.
I don't have any IV supplies, so its going to be difficult, and potentially dangerous to attempt to rehydrate you.
But my world just got crappier, because I have this baby who is already showing signs of exposure.
Now, I might have a small baggie of non-fat dehydrated milk, which, if baby tolerates, might buy (very) little time.
A little soy formula would be great to buy some time, until we can get baby out, or more supplies in.
My little scenario was a 12 y/o sister taking her 18 m/o brother out for a little walk. My spotter and I found them about 8pm. It had been freezing or below all day. We fed both before we even began our two hour trek back to basecamp.
It just makes sense...

1stimestar
01-14-2013, 05:23 PM
Ok ok I get it now. Yes for something like that it might be handy. But really, you don't want to give anything to a b/f baby if mom is exclusivly b/f and it is a temporary situation except for water in dehydration is a factor. Once you introduce anything else into the gut, it negates many, many properties of b/f in which baby can never regain. Besides a breastfed baby would not know how to use a bottle. Fluid removal from those two different containers requires much different processes lol. They can be spoon fed if needed.

nell67
01-14-2013, 10:09 PM
Ok ok I get it now. Yes for something like that it might be handy. But really, you don't want to give anything to a b/f baby if mom is exclusivly b/f and it is a temporary situation except for water in dehydration is a factor. Once you introduce anything else into the gut, it negates many, many properties of b/f in which baby can never regain. Besides a breastfed baby would not know how to use a bottle. Fluid removal from those two different containers requires much different processes lol. They can be spoon fed if needed.

I can vouch for everything you just said,when I was medically forced to stop b/f due to accidental CO poisoning,my son had never had a bottle,and the hospital had their hands full trying to teach him to use one (he divorced himself from the bottle by 10 months old he hated it so much) but he had tummy troubles for weeks after being put on the formula,and a baby that miserable in an already stressful situation will magnify the stress level greatly.

1stimestar
01-14-2013, 10:25 PM
I can vouch for everything you just said,when I was medically forced to stop b/f due to accidental CO poisoning,my son had never had a bottle,and the hospital had their hands full trying to teach him to use one (he divorced himself from the bottle by 10 months old he hated it so much) but he had tummy troubles for weeks after being put on the formula,and a baby that miserable in an already stressful situation will magnify the stress level greatly.

Oh poor baby and mamma. That had to be terribly stressful for you both. Babies can learn to drink from a cup at a very young age. Well actually I should say, mammas can learn to feed from a cup when baby is very young. I never used bottles at all. Went from boob to cup directly.

Delta 5168
01-14-2013, 10:34 PM
No joke. My Mom was one of the 1%, so I couldn't breast feed.

You'll all be happy to know that I, too, have rejected the bottle and have resumed breast feeding every time I get the chance!

1stimestar
01-14-2013, 10:51 PM
Lol. Oh I mean *groan...*

Psalm25
01-14-2013, 11:05 PM
If you do breastfeed maybe a pump would be handy to bring?

Psalm25
01-14-2013, 11:08 PM
That is if there are breast pumps that work without having to plug them in? I imagine there are...