PDA

View Full Version : I think I'll put this here.

1stimestar
01-12-2013, 01:09 AM
It's an article in my newspaper today and thought it was a good, lighthearted look at what many, many people go through here. But not just men with wives who want to leave. My husband didn't like Alaska. It was too expensive and too cold and dark for him. I'm glad we buried him in OK even though I wish I could take the kids and go visit his grave sometimes. Since moving here though, I have found such a power, I'll never leave.

"This state is special, in an unforgiving, brutal cold and dark sort of way. As my friend once said, “summer is the beautiful lie that Fairbanks tells us,” and we suffer through the winters to hear that lie once again."

http://www.newsminer.com/opinion/community_perspectives/article_7719c812-57e0-11e2-8893-001a4bcf6878.html

crashdive123
01-12-2013, 08:16 AM
Good read.

kyratshooter
01-12-2013, 11:51 AM
That almost applies to anywhere in the world. I have known men married to women who made their lives miserable until they quit a good job and moved 75 miles down the road to be near Mama's house.

Most of the time climate has nothing to do with it, it just serves as an excuse. I gripe contantly myself. My chickens gripe! This morning the rooster slipped and fell in the mud and told me about it for several minutes.

My in-laws lived in NY for years contantly gripped about the cold, snow and mud. Now they live in AZ and guess what they gripe about? Yep, heat, sand and intense sunlight.

hunter63
01-12-2013, 12:05 PM
That is a good read....and could be true most anywhere.

Seems the will to overcome adversity is something many people relish....and many don't.

Several acquaintances have made moves, mostly for jog related reasons in a younger age, but as children and grandchildren enter into the picture, seems that becomes a good reason as well.