PDA

View Full Version : The Refuge

Mormon X
01-09-2013, 07:05 PM
So as I mentioned in my introduction, I inherited a good piece of land in Utah from my uncle Homer ****************** on his passing several months ago. Since this nations going straight to hell and going there fast, I was of a mind to build a refuge where a man could make a stand and get through the hard times comin' on that land and was hoping to get some advice on how to get going.

It's a hundred acres in the plateau country outside of Duchesne. Don't have any power or running water. Mostly sagebrush cover except where uncle Homer cleared it off and pulled a singlewide on to it. Nearest paved road is about 3 miles off it. He had it surveyed and found some good spots to sink a well, but didn't have the money, so there's water.

All that's on the land now is the mobile home, 2 acres of fence and a couple rough built sheds with 10 goats, 32 chickens, 2 pigs, and a shetland pony his wife rode to town to get such as they needed and couldn't make. Mrs Stootchie (which is what uncle Homer called his second wife for some reason he never told us) is still up there waitin' for me to come claim the land and what's on it, and her as my wife by succession as was Uncle Homer's wishes. She ain't the brightest or best looking gal, and she's got some age on her, but if she can take care of a homestead in the desert by herself (Homer's other wife ran off when he passed, whore that she was) then there must be something to the old girl and I think she'll be okay once we get married and I get her settled in the family.

Anyhow, it was of my mind to set aside half of the land for some crops, and split the other half between animals and building a compound that can hold maybe a dozen good righteous folk looking to ride out what's comin' in a place where God still holds sway on how things are done and the right to bear arms and practice religion how we see fit is still the American way.

Any suggestions on things like crops, power, walls, and whatnot anybody can provide will be much appreciated. God bless.

Amen

wildgarlic
01-09-2013, 08:06 PM
So as I mentioned in my introduction, I inherited a good piece of land in Utah from my uncle Homer ********************* on his passing several months ago. Since this nations going straight to hell and going there fast, I was of a mind to build a refuge where a man could make a stand and get through the hard times comin' on that land and was hoping to get some advice on how to get going.

It's a hundred acres in the plateau country outside of Duchesne. Don't have any power or running water. Mostly sagebrush cover except where uncle Homer cleared it off and pulled a singlewide on to it. Nearest paved road is about 3 miles off it. He had it surveyed and found some good spots to sink a well, but didn't have the money, so there's water.

All that's on the land now is the mobile home, 2 acres of fence and a couple rough built sheds with 10 goats, 32 chickens, 2 pigs, and a shetland pony his wife rode to town to get such as they needed and couldn't make. Mrs Stootchie (which is what uncle Homer called his second wife for some reason he never told us) is still up there waitin' for me to come claim the land and what's on it, and her as my wife by succession as was Uncle Homer's wishes. She ain't the brightest or best looking gal, and she's got some age on her, but if she can take care of a homestead in the desert by herself (Homer's other wife ran off when he passed, whore that she was) then there must be something to the old girl and I think she'll be okay once we get married and I get her settled in the family.

Anyhow, it was of my mind to set aside half of the land for some crops, and split the other half between animals and building a compound that can hold maybe a dozen good righteous folk looking to ride out what's comin' in a place where God still holds sway on how things are done and the right to bear arms and practice religion how we see fit is still the American way.

Any suggestions on things like crops, power, walls, and whatnot anybody can provide will be much appreciated. God bless.

Amen

You can buy small windmills but I would also have a generator and a kerosene heater. For drinking water; get some water filters so you can use snow and of course store some water. If you have canned goods and you keep them in a cooler envirnment, they will go far beyond the expriation date.

nell67
01-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Good grief........:brickwall::ladysman::noway::rambo::r olleyes:

hunter63
01-09-2013, 08:54 PM
With out getting into personnel situations, sounds like you are gathering a "group"?

Most around here are more of the "follow their own counsel".....I have absolutely no desire to "join up" with like minded people.....particularly other people mind.
Now that's said.....

Seems this homestead has been up and running for quite some time, or is there something about this place that hasn't been discussed.

What has been the source of water up till now?

No power of any kind up till now.....is it availabe close by?

Sarge47
01-09-2013, 10:03 PM
With out getting into personnel situations, sounds like you are gathering a "group"?

Most around here are more of the "follow their own counsel".....I have absolutely no desire to "join up" with like minded people.....particularly other people mind.
Now that's said.....

Seems this homestead has been up and running for quite some time, or is there something about this place that hasn't been discussed.

What has been the source of water up till now?

No power of any kind up till now.....is it availabe close by?

Does Ruth Hawke live there? :2:

kyratshooter
01-10-2013, 12:16 AM
Good luck with that.

We're getting them all these days!

Winter
01-10-2013, 12:22 AM
Wow, there's a million things you can do.

Do you want a visible fortress or a concealed compound?

I do construction and know "concealed".

BENESSE
01-10-2013, 12:23 AM
Nuts, but creative, I'll give him that.
Heck, this could even be Rick...except it's not April yet.

1stimestar
01-10-2013, 12:47 AM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5YQoxuaoHWpprCEWCoOjqC5dtx-0LiW1ybgpqzwN85grDD1ROHwWnOMAz

Winter
01-10-2013, 12:50 AM
Is that a Dik-dik?

1stimestar
01-10-2013, 12:56 AM
Lol uhm, I don't know but that's kind of fun to say.

Winter
01-10-2013, 01:24 AM
it is, I looked it up. One of the worlds smallest deer.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cf/Dik-dik_Dennis.jpg

I guess that's a nice buck right there.

1stimestar
01-10-2013, 02:34 AM
Maybe that's what "the wife that ran away" rode off on into the sunset.

1stimestar
01-10-2013, 02:39 AM
What kind of deer is this Winter?

http://img3.etsystatic.com/000/0/5421426/il_fullxfull.322322183.jpg

BushCraft
01-10-2013, 02:43 AM
Maybe that's what "the wife that ran away" rode off on into the sunset.

With a fist full of dollars and a pocket full of dreams?

1stimestar
01-10-2013, 03:10 AM
I doubt she was allowed a fist full of dollars.

BushCraft
01-10-2013, 05:48 AM
I doubt she was allowed a fist full of dollars.

She has to have at least been give tree fiddy.

Wildthang
01-10-2013, 10:28 AM
I would not want to be there when the next comet comes close to earth:scared:

kyratshooter
01-10-2013, 11:44 AM
Generally good plan for the Utah high plains farm with no water is to put half your land to agriculture raising rocks and sagebrush.

1/4 of the land to pasture, which at 40 acres per cow will allow you to raise one cow or barely keep alive the goats, pigs and chickens you now have.

For the compound you will need several of the surplus FEMA trailers and a massive amount of barbed wire just to keep the residents from bugging out like the only person mentioned so far with any good sense, the "whore" that left when her husband died, freeing her from legal/moral obligation (I still can't figure why that makes her a "whore").

I got you topped WT, I don't want to be on this place even when there are no comets streaking past!

Wildthang
01-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Generally good plan for the Utah high plains farm with no water is to put half your land to agriculture raising rocks and sagebrush.

1/4 of the land to pasture, which at 40 acres per cow will allow you to raise one cow or barely keep alive the goats, pigs and chickens you now have.

For the compound you will need several of the surplus FEMA trailers and a massive amount of barbed wire just to keep the residents from bugging out like the only person mentioned so far with any good sense, the "whore" that left when her husband died, freeing her from legal/moral obligation (I still can't figure why that makes her a "whore").

I got you topped WT, I don't want to be on this place even when there are no comets streaking past!

Manson could be up for parole and available in a year or two to run the compound!............Booooyah, take that Kyrat:smartass:

hunter63
01-10-2013, 12:11 PM
Y'all can chuck and jive ifn y'all want to,....LOL.
I was kinda interested is this scenario, although there is an odd dynamic being laid out......

It just makes me nervous when I hear about anyone collecting up a group of like minded whoever's......Which generally means, you bring your selves and money, and work your butte off on "my" place.....

Oh well.....

Sarge47
01-10-2013, 12:38 PM
I was kinda interested is this scenario, although there is an odd dynamic being laid out......

It just makes me nervous when I hear about anyone collecting up a group of like minded whoever's......Which generally means, you bring your selves and money, and work your butte off on "my" place.....

Oh well.....

Yeah, and Ruth Hawke ain't even there! :2: :thumbdown:

kyratshooter
01-10-2013, 12:48 PM
Manson could be up for parole and available in a year or two to run the compound!............Booooyah, take that Kyrat:smartass:

At least the pony would get a break, they could ride the "magic bus" to town! (I own property near where Manson grew up, he was actually he light hearted one of the group.)

Hunter the "dymnamic" so far is multiple wives that can be inherited. Better check with Ms. Hunter before applying for change of address.

Besides, you have a place with power and water already so your wife will not run off looking for a hot shower and flush toliet.

1stimestar
01-10-2013, 01:25 PM

Oh well.....

Oh I was fine with it until he started calling women whores. Sorry, I don't play nicely with men who call women whores. Not acceptable.

Wildthang
01-10-2013, 04:06 PM
We sure get some doozies on here:scared:

Exbrit
01-10-2013, 07:40 PM
What a waste of time reading this was. I hope not all of the pages are going to be like this?

crashdive123
01-10-2013, 07:42 PM
If you choose to read a thread started by a banned member sometimes you get entertainment and sometimes you get - well - this.

Exbrit
01-10-2013, 07:48 PM
How do you know if a member is banned?

crashdive123
01-10-2013, 07:51 PM
Look right under his screen name. Right now yours is Junior Member and will eventually change to Member then Senior Member.

Exbrit
01-10-2013, 07:55 PM
Thank you. Sorry to keep asking what are probably silly questions. One thing I recall from the Royal air Force is the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask. Asking a question can save your life!

loner
01-10-2013, 08:09 PM
its kinda of wierd marriing your relatives wife are you flds or what also i agree with everyone else

SouthernHeat
01-10-2013, 08:33 PM
yea it was obvious from all his posts that he was just trying to give Mormons a bad name

finallyME
01-18-2013, 10:55 AM
What a troll. Can't blame a wife for running off AFTER HER HUSBAND DIED.

BENESSE
01-18-2013, 11:11 AM
Obviously, he was making the whole thing up...the names were pretty creative and I did get a chuckle out of it.

Thaddius Bickerton
04-13-2013, 11:51 PM
Ya know it is like sunspots or something

these folk come in waves, then ya don t hear from em for a while.

Wonder what they do inbetween times?

Oh well, I needed to see a bunch of stoopid threads to remind me that i'm not the crazy one.

Thad

Rick
04-14-2013, 09:43 AM
Does anyone know if your boots drag the ground when ridin' a Shetland pony?

crashdive123
04-14-2013, 10:24 AM
Only if the pony doesn't pick up his feet.

Seniorman
04-14-2013, 01:24 PM
If you're looking for some Mormons to join up and be ready for the future hordes of invaders, here are some Mormons who might just be able to help you repel "boarders."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNM7vlpVa94

S.M.

GreatUsername
04-14-2013, 03:28 PM
Please... don't equate extremists of any religion and the main body of the religion.
Even in jest, it's kind of poor, because while most people will know you're sarcastic about the whole thing, others who know nothing about the religion you're talking about may have their opinions influenced in negative ways. I'm not pro-religion, nor anti-religion, but I am anti-ignorance. Anti-muslim sentiment grew over the last decade because of misinformation people got when muslims and jihadists were made to sound the same.

These gangsters aren't Mormons, not representative any ways. These are violent criminals who happen to ascribe to the faith. Italian mafia members primarily claim Catholicism, but we keep the distinction. I know you probably meant no ill-will, but just be careful, okay?

source: I'm an ex-mormon, raised in the church from birth.

Also, what a troll thread :lol:

BENESSE
04-14-2013, 03:42 PM
+1, GreatUsername. A good reminder even for the most aware types. It can start in the most innocuous way and then it becomes accepted.
(Always funny, until it's about you.)

hunter63
04-14-2013, 04:09 PM
Once it's on the interweb....It true....though everyone knew that.....

Seniorman
04-14-2013, 08:16 PM
GREATUSERNAME - " Please... don't equate extremists of any religion and the main body of the religion."

I didn't.

Yes, it was done tongue-in-cheek in response to the O.P's rather lucicrous post.

Did you bother to watch the entire video?? They claimed to be Mormons, and attended the Mormon church in Salt Lake City. The Mormon Elder in the interview did not say they'd been kicked out of the church. He said the Church did not endorse their actions in any way, shape, or form. So because they claimed to be Mormons, I took them at their word.

Did I fail the concurrent Poltical Correctness template??

S.M.

Ken
04-14-2013, 08:46 PM
Did I fail the concurrent Poltical Correctness template??S.M.

IMHO, no, you didn't. Please try harder next time.

Seniorman
04-15-2013, 12:08 AM
IMHO, no, you didn't. Please try harder next time.

Ken, I'll give it my best shot. I strive to please. :nod:

S.M.

Wildthang
04-15-2013, 11:50 AM
A kitten dies every time a person posts in this god forbidden thread:scared:

Sarge47
04-15-2013, 12:04 PM
Locking this "crap" thread down......:devil: