PDA

View Full Version : Making a garden or greenhouse...

Beo
03-14-2008, 01:52 PM
I got my new issue of the Richie's Magazine The Backwoodsman (love that magazine) and in it there is a real good article on Building a Storage Shed from Pallets. It's great article and basically the author James Finkbeiner and he used 8'x8' pallets, each is made of 5 2x3's, 8 feet long crossed with low grades of 3/4"x3 lumber. He built a shop/storage shed that was 12x16. He now gets them from places that sell tubs, hot tubs, grocery stores & produce stands, and a granite company that has granite shipped to them.
It's a cheap way to get a premande frame for making a storage shed, shop, small cabin, or greenhouse.

MedicineWolf
03-15-2008, 12:40 AM
I'm sure that's real sturdy, until I huff and puff and blow your shack down:D Up here in Northern Montana that wouldn't last a month in the winter and even less further north in like canada. Pallets just are not made for use as a building and have already had strain placed on them.

crashdive123
03-15-2008, 05:45 AM
Gotta agree with MW here. They maybe OK for raising the flooring and allowing some airflow, but if they're intended to provide structural support, they may fall short. In addition to the rigors of the northern climates, in the southern climates you need to be concerned about termites - so you would need to ensure it did not contact the soil.