PDA

View Full Version : Howdy.

BushCraft
01-07-2013, 03:45 AM
G'day everyone. My names Daniel, here from the eastern seaboard of Australia. Been fascinated with bushcraft and survival for as long as I can remember.

Summer here at the moment and yesterday had to kill a black snake (Last resort) after it tried striking, they don't normally attack and they almost never pursue but I guess this one was in a bad mood. I was a couple of hours into a hike when I came cross it and I realized I can compress a snake bite but it does me no good if I have to walk 4 hours to reach a car or get reception. So I found this place while looking for a practical solution to dealing with a snake bite away from home.

Also, you may or may not have noticed but your welcome banner has a muck up.

"Hello BushCraft,
Our records indicate that you have never posted to our site before! Why not make your first post today by saying hello to our community in our Introductions forum.

Why not start with your first post today and become an active part of YOUR SITE NAME now!"

Should be a simple fix.

(And if anyone was interested the best answer I could find was compress and lie down flat in the shade to slow the poison and give your body a chance to work through the venom slowly.)

crashdive123
01-07-2013, 06:56 AM
Hello and welcome. Thanks for pointing out the script error - I'll pass it along to the owner.

hunter63
01-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Hunter63, saying Hey and Welcome.
So, given your research does this method increase chances of a recovery or at least survival with out any other additional help?

jfeatherjohn
01-07-2013, 12:28 PM
Greetings from Arizona.

BornthatWay
01-07-2013, 01:29 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum.

BushCraft
01-08-2013, 01:06 AM
Thanks all for the warm welcome. I already feel at home.

Hunter63, saying Hey and Welcome.
So, given your research does this method increase chances of a recovery or at least survival with out any other additional help?

From what I was reading it helps mitigate the effects of the venom by slowing the release (Possibly increasing the time effected by that logic) and lowering the initial intensity, decreasing the damage done on the body. Especially regarding toxic shock on the liver, heart, brain, lungs ect.

Providing that it works, it helps with survivability, but the discussion the information came from was on the red-bellied black snake which tends to be slightly less than lethal, although still very serious. The technique it's self come from the Australian Aboriginals in helping deal with snake bites (short of the compress bandage of course). The main ideas are there (slow blood flow, slow lymphatic flow, compress, reduce body temp, reduce movement).

The best option as always is avoiding the situation when you can.

Blade
01-08-2013, 11:39 AM
Hi BushCraft...I'm new here as well but I am looking forward to hearing "how it's done" down under. Please share your outdoor experiences as much as possible.

Question..How is it living in the bush or outback? Can it be done comfortably and safely? Please start a new thread about this out of introductions to keep it relevant.
Many Thanks!

Sarge47
01-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Welcome to the group. So your an Aussie, ya got a big knoife like Paul (Crocadile Dundee) Hogan? :shifty:

I'm flat like a lizard drinkin' meself! :w00t:

Now on the serious side, if you're going to be hiking in snake territory and you're going it solo, carry anti-venom for each type of snake you may encounter, except for a Black Mamba. Here's what you do if one of them bites you:

Quickly open a bottle of Jack Daniels and drink all of the contents, you don't want it to go to waste! Then sit down, bend over, placing your head between your legs....and kiss your arse goodby! :sweatdrop:

1stimestar
01-08-2013, 12:59 PM
Welcome from Alaska.

Winter
01-08-2013, 11:49 PM
Welcome to WSF. Australia has many things that can ruin your day that are small enough to sneak up on ya. You are just as dead from venom as you are a mauling.

I hope to visit sometime, in your winter months.

BushCraft
01-09-2013, 10:40 AM
Hi BushCraft...I'm new here as well but I am looking forward to hearing "how it's done" down under. Please share your outdoor experiences as much as possible.

Question..How is it living in the bush or outback? Can it be done comfortably and safely? Please start a new thread about this out of introductions to keep it relevant.
Many Thanks!G'day Blade. I'll chuck up a new thread about it shortly.

Welcome to the group. So your an Aussie, ya got a big knoife like Paul (Crocadile Dundee) Hogan? :shifty:

I'm flat like a lizard drinkin' meself! :w00t:

Now on the serious side, if you're going to be hiking in snake territory and you're going it solo, carry anti-venom for each type of snake you may encounter, except for a Black Mamba. Here's what you do if one of them bites you:

Quickly open a bottle of Jack Daniels and drink all of the contents, you don't want it to go to waste! Then sit down, bend over, placing your head between your legs....and kiss your arse goodby! :sweatdrop:Haha I'm a fan of big knives, as silly as it is (Keep a small pocket knife on me for fine work), my misses is in my AV she is just street side crap without any brand or name but she's done me well. Had her for 5 years now, skinned a buck or two, taken a few snake heads off, saved me being mugged out on the highway. Yep she's a good knife. Got a little bit of weight to her, so she handles the hardwood of the area well enough for most of the small woods craft, I don't carry any heftier day to day (when I am outback, you can't carry any knife on you over here or the cops can arrest you for a dangerous weapon).

As for snakes, bastard of a thing it is to get antivenom here. I am a licensed endangered and exotic reptiles keeper but even with my license I can't get home supplies of antivenom and it's a real shame. I only need one vial as well, tiger snake, all of the badboys of my area are the one type of venom but I can't get a hold of anything for myself. Ya may not know much about Australian politics, but we sure don't have the freedoms you yanks have.

Funny we live in a place where almost everything can kill you, but they don't trust us to look after ourselves.

Welcome from Alaska.

G'day and cheers. Hope to see you around.

Welcome to WSF. Australia has many things that can ruin your day that are small enough to sneak up on ya. You are just as dead from venom as you are a mauling.

I hope to visit sometime, in your winter months.
Cheers mate, true enough. This morning I woke up to something crawling on me, brushed it off as I normally do when I looked at what it was the damned thing was a whitetailed spider. Not much bothers me, but those things terrify me. I can't imagine anything worse than having your skin rotting away slowly while you die in hospital. Winters the best time to vist, we got 43*c here yesterday that's about 110*F and you know the snakes love that warmth.