PDA

View Full Version : Canada pays less taxes than the USA?

BraggSurvivor
03-13-2008, 11:59 PM
Sure doesnt feel like it when I pay $24.00 for a case of beer.

http://www.economist.com/daily/chartgallery/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10835581

dilligaf2u2
03-14-2008, 12:32 AM
As long as they leave my bacon alone they can double or even triple the tax on beer!

Don

canid
03-14-2008, 12:41 AM
they can charge what they want for beer as long as they don't go higher on 6 row barley, wheat or thier malts.

crashdive123
03-14-2008, 06:45 AM
Looks like the table just has income tax and social security tax on it. If that's all that we were truely paying in taxes........yeah....if only.

bulrush
03-14-2008, 08:45 AM
Income tax is only one of many taxes Canada has. Don't forget the provincial sales tax, VAT tax (a federal sales tax) and some cities have sales tax on top of all those. When I went on a trip to Canada years ago, the total taxes was about 30% of the hotel bill.

Catfish
03-14-2008, 09:47 AM
Income tax is only one of many taxes Canada has. Don't forget the provincial sales tax, VAT tax (a federal sales tax) and some cities have sales tax on top of all those. When I went on a trip to Canada years ago, the total taxes was about 30% of the hotel bill.
That happens in the US too. I went to Phoenix on a business trip about 4 years ago and by the time I'd been taxed for an extension to the airport, a new football stadium, a project for "The Children" and 2 or 3 other schemes that the politicians had decided should be funded by visitors, rather than residents, the taxes on my car rental bill came to more than the car rental did.

In New York a couple of years ago, hoteliers had to lobby for a reduction in the taxes being imposed on visitors because a) it was damaging trade and b) they were tired of having to explain to their guests why visitors to the city should fund local projects.

To a lot of people, taxes don't count if it's someone else who's paying them.