PDA

View Full Version : cooking the basics

wareagle69
03-13-2008, 09:34 PM
ok how many of you"men" can cook and i 'm not talking about a steak in tha bbq i'm talking about putting several ingrediants together and not from the frozen bag section. allot of what i store is for two reasons one is beacuse i like to cook, my fave is a roast of any type in the slow cooker with my ususal mushrooms(duh) garlic onions taters celery and seasoning just smelling it after a couple of hours is awesome and tastes great love being able to cut meat with a spoon. second reason is if during a shtf scenario someone is able to access my supplies they damn well better be able to cook from basics cuz i make my own biscuits gravey cocco you see where i am going with nothing quick and easy in my house.

always be prepared-prepare all ways

canid
03-13-2008, 09:47 PM
i'm a [sometimes] chef. cooking good food for people is one of my most rewarding pursuits.

wildWoman
03-13-2008, 09:50 PM
My sweetie is a way better cook and baker than I'll ever be. Somehow he doesn't mind spending an hou on something that gets gobbled up within a few minutes. Actually I know lots of men who are great cooks.

canid
03-13-2008, 11:08 PM
i out cilantro greens in my salsa. never used basil, though i do love it in darn near everything.

i keep many sages, including lemon balm, mints, several characters of basil on hand most of the time. i'm trying to get my herb garden started for this year.

Alpine_Sapper
03-13-2008, 11:32 PM
Cooking pays my bills, I like cooking for my friends, I cook most everything. I even know how to cook kosher. How many of you put oregano and basil in salsa?

Depends on what kind of salsa I'm making, and my mood. Cilantro is a little more traditional, but if it's not tex-mex then sure, why not? The ability to be creative with food is one reason I stopped cooking for a living. A fruit salsa or chutney can definitely benefit from either of the herbs you mentioned.

BraggSurvivor
03-13-2008, 11:33 PM
ok how many of you"men" can cook and i 'm not talking about a steak in tha bbq i'm talking about putting several ingrediants together and not from the frozen bag section. allot of what i store is for two reasons one is beacuse i like to cook, my fave is a roast of any type in the slow cooker with my ususal mushrooms(duh) garlic onions taters celery and seasoning just smelling it after a couple of hours is awesome and tastes great love being able to cut meat with a spoon. second reason is if during a shtf scenario someone is able to access my supplies they damn well better be able to cook from basics cuz i make my own biscuits gravey cocco you see where i am going with nothing quick and easy in my house.

always be prepared-prepare all ways

Come on WE, a monkey can cook a roast in a slow cooker. You can do better than that :D:D:D j/k

I cook manly stuff around here, 30lbs beef briskets wood fired for 24 hrs, curry glazed spatchcocked chicken, wood fired chili in cast iron over lump coal, and my 12hr Texan style dino bones are to die for. Fresh beef and poulty make all the difference.

Beo
03-18-2008, 09:06 AM
I cook all the time, love too. I'm great on a grill WE just so ya know:D but in the woods over an open fire with meats and fresh pickn's, weeeeeeeeeeeeeell now I am great (at least in my opinion and the son's) and keep my belly full. Squirrel, rabbit, deer, dove, pheasant, over an open fire can't be beat.

Rick
03-18-2008, 09:41 AM
I enjoy cooking and can whip up just about anything. I have some tremendous flops but we won't go into that.

RaymondPeter
03-18-2008, 11:33 AM
I enjoy cooking and can whip up just about anything. I have some tremendous flops but we won't go into that.

Same here! lol

I've been cooking since at least age 8 (I'm not 27).

trax
03-18-2008, 12:47 PM
I started cooking for myself when I was a little kid too, had to learn so I did. I can cook on any cooking surface from open fire to barbecue grill to gas or electric range or oven. I often create my own recipes (very few flops) and can handle pretty much any existing recipes, follow the instructions, duh. I can cook for anywhere from one to thirty people, I haven't had to feed a group larger than that yet. I was once camp cook in a firefighting camp, that was a real adventure, the conservation officers kept not coming through with the grocery orders! Overall though, I enjoy it.