PDA

View Full Version : ALASKANS plz soundoff here.

Dropy
12-30-2012, 06:26 PM
Ok as time draws near for the wife and I to move to Alaska we are wanting to get a bit more serious about gathering info. I need info on island life next. The idea of living on POW island appeals to us, as well as a few other islands.

So feel free to soundoff about the areas your familiar with.

Thanx

alaskabushman
12-30-2012, 06:37 PM
Well! I live on P.O.W., what kind of info you need?

1stimestar
12-30-2012, 07:22 PM
I'm in the Interior so have no knowledge about the islands, way far away, different world lol. Good luck.

Dropy
12-31-2012, 06:56 PM
yeah, I had you 2 folks in mind to tap for info.

Well we don't want the harshness that the interior brings in the winter. We are used to temps that get down to 40 below and windy. SO we figure the S.E. or kenai, anchorage, haines, Skagway, or the islands. I grew up in the restaurant business and I am a good steel fabricator. I also have some understanding of electrical, plumbing and carpentry. My wife is a retiring school teacher.

We will have her reitirement and our savings to get up there on and get set up. The main thing that will determine where we live is the deal we find first! We want some acreage, a place to build our log home on and make it off grid with wind and solar. We understand it can get costly. then there is weather. Neither of these are an issue for us. we are not rich, but we have some funds to get this done.

For me I want a job up there, prefer a good paying job but I will take what I can get till something better comes along. I am not sure what opportunites there are on the islands and in the interior where that is only a small village or town nearby.

These are just a couple beginning questions. Thanx guys

Winter
12-31-2012, 07:10 PM
Acreage is SE is cost prohibitive. You will need to live by some sort of town to have a decent yr round job.

doug1980
12-31-2012, 09:06 PM
I lived in Anchorage for 3 years, well lived on the Air Force Base. I think Eagle River or Wasilla would be better. Less stuff to do, but not as crowded. Plus we eally enjoyed going to Hatchers Pass so those two places would be much closer. Of course Seward was an awesome place. Kinda had that old fishing village feeling. Just depends on what you are looking for.

Dropy
12-31-2012, 10:08 PM
We don't want the big city life if we can avoid it. 100 miles from the city or more is fine with us.

Sourdough
12-31-2012, 10:56 PM
On the other forum you posted this question............send a PM to Mountaintreker. He is a member here but does not come here.

Dropy
01-08-2013, 05:20 PM
Which other forum? Lost the old computer and didn't wite down all the forum info. So now I am refinding all the forums I had saved..... AND I have a crappy memory.

Mountaintrekker
03-03-2013, 04:50 AM
Funny, I just decided to log on, been awhile. Hello all...

If you are looking to get away from it all yet be close to work and don't want cold temps... Hmmm. Stay near the coast, Kenai, Soldotna have the jobs, just don't move to Sterling where land is cheaper, you'll freeze your buns off! We decided to take the plunge and we live across Katchemak bay near a small village on the coast.
Let me know if you have some specific questions for me.

Dropy
03-21-2013, 09:51 PM
Our plan is to move up there this august and rent a place. WHERE we live depends on several factors. Soldotna is possible, as is Anchorage area, Wasilla and palmer. Even valdez, Skagway, tok or..or...or. Depends on where we find housing and a job for me. Though the job is not paramount in the beginning.

1stimestar
03-21-2013, 11:48 PM
Tok gets REALLY cold.

Also, if you are looking for lost forums, try doing a google search for your username and they should pop up.

alaskabushman
06-06-2013, 05:35 PM

Since this thread has so many views I thought I'd show off where I live a bit more.

alaskabushman
06-06-2013, 05:45 PM

hunter63
06-06-2013, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the pic's.......but I think your boat kinda ran out of water....LOl

Cast-Iron
06-06-2013, 07:13 PM
As for living in Valdez, a guy I worked with in Anchorage spent a winter there. He described it as living in a Styrofoam box. Snow so high you literally couldn't see over the berms. They seem to get incredible amounts of snow there (even by Alaskan standards).

Winter
06-06-2013, 09:24 PM
Nice pics, where are you? I'm down in Ketchikan. Your pics are not K town. Yakatat?

1stimestar
06-06-2013, 09:38 PM
Yes, Valdez gets a ton of snow.

Winter
06-06-2013, 09:44 PM
Nice pics, where are you? I'm down in Ketchikan. Your pics are not K town. Yakatat?

Never mind, you are over on POW. You ever wanna link up when you come to town, I always got charcoal and the store always has pork.

adventurestrong
07-30-2013, 12:21 AM
I lived in Anchorage and King Salmon. Soldotna's ok, Palmer and Wasilla are nice. They're cheaper than Anchorage but not that far of a drive. Plus, you're closer to fishing and hunting. Well, unless you want to fish the Kenai. Big Lake is a nice area. If you go down to the panhandle just prepare for lots of rain (more than Portland, Oregon or Seattle, Washington). A good place to live depends on what you want to do. If you want a hardcore Alaskan experience move north to Nome or Barrow. Want remoteness and small community? Try Adak or Seldovia.