PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use a Hawken 50.cal

Sportsman296
12-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Does anyone use a Hawken 50.cal for trad. Hunting?
:m107: :bat:

kyratshooter
12-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Several of us shoot black powder from various launching devices.

coaldust
12-28-2012, 01:40 AM
Yep, I hunt with a .54cal Hawken percussion and a .50cal custom flint lock full stock southern mtn rifle.
I also use .30cal bigbore air rifle to hunt hogs with, it throws a 110gr bullet around 950fps for two shots
before I have to air it back up with 3600psi pressure.

hunter63
12-28-2012, 03:45 PM
Hunter63 saying Hey, a Welcome.

The answer is yes, both percussion and rock lock.
Di you have one?

Looks like a lot of "fixin' to" in your signature and a couple of forums......
We like to deal with" been there, done that stuff".....just saying

Sportsman296
12-28-2012, 04:11 PM
coaldust: actually I do-not at this moment but i saw one on sale at Cabelas for 257$ and was wanting to see if anyone still uses them cause that might sway my descision if ammo and .etc is still available.

hunter63: Ok if you want been there done that you'd have to raise the character rate to unlimited. and also i don't like to open that can of worms necesarilly unless you want my successes in life so far. and I doubt you want to here about last year when i was bullied because it's not pleasant to the ear especially when you here about the people telling me to kill myself and thats why i don't want to see that everytime i log on yes im over it yes i can talk about it and share it with others but its not for the feint of heart and if you want to hear the story pm me if not please don't inquire abpout it., but yes i will change it to something more toward my been ther done that (Successes).

Ethan

hunter63
12-28-2012, 04:56 PM
coaldust: actually I do-not at this moment but i saw one on sale at Cabelas for 257$ and was wanting to see if anyone still uses them cause that might sway my descision if ammo and .etc is still available.

hunter63: Ok if you want been there done that you'd have to raise the character rate to unlimited. and also i don't like to open that can of worms necesarilly unless you want my successes in life so far. and I doubt you want to here about last year when i was bullied because it's not pleasant to the ear especially when you here about the people telling me to kill myself and thats why i don't want to see that everytime i log on yes im over it yes i can talk about it and share it with others but its not for the feint of heart and if you want to hear the story pm me if not please don't inquire abpout it., but yes i will change it to something more toward my been ther done that (Successes).

Ethan

No offense intended, Just seemed odd......
Anyway not sure who make the Cabales Hawkens these days, mine are T/C's......But yeah there are a lot of people that still shoot and enjoy the "old ways"

Sportsman296
12-28-2012, 05:05 PM
Ya sorry i didn't mean it to sound "slamming" just used to having my guard up.lol
And it's a T/C percussion the "rock lock" is 357$ but ya sorry bout that earlier. Haven't been having to much fun except for christmas. At the beginning of the year i ran CrossCountry and i met a girl who's a senior and we became friends and she's way older so we were just friends and that went for 3 months and she literally helped me get ove last year and then she "walked out on me" so i've been taking that hard because i rebuilt myself after lastyear around her and my friends so that kind of sent me down into a spiral and i'm working back out. Hope we can be friends?

Ethan

coaldust
12-28-2012, 05:07 PM
you might try Track of the Wolf site, they have Lyman kits in flint and percussion, my .54 is an early (1978) copy of an original Hawken,
down to the bore size (.530) that They sold in kit form. I use hornady .520 swaged round balls in it as a mold was hard to find.

hunter63
12-28-2012, 08:30 PM
What your looking at, is it new or used......reason I asking is that new Thompson Center Hawken rifles are close to $800 bucks., so might be a Traditionss.

BTW You didn't list your age, are you over 18?

Sportsman296
12-28-2012, 08:49 PM
BTW You didn't list your age, are you over 18?

Nope is that a problem :angry: ?
Im 14 if you haven't seen my profile!
And i highly doubt that Cabelas would sell me it if thats what your getting at, but my step-dads getting it and by mistake it is the traditions.
And to note there is a 13 year old on here also if it is against any rule. (Which i haven't seen one) ?????????
Also do you have a problem with me? it seems like your questions are meant as insults or something or thats just my perception, and maybe your just trying to get to know me??????///

Ethan

crashdive123
12-28-2012, 08:55 PM
Take a deep breath Spotsman296 and chill out.

Sportsman296
12-28-2012, 09:07 PM
Take a deep breath Spotsman296 and chill out.
Why i'm fine it's not like i'm fighting with people i'mjust trying to figure out others view points.:confused1:
And i'm sorry if it looks that way :closedeyes:, also I have a well destinguished line that i will never cross and on the other side is being like the people from my past and I'm not going to do that :thumbdown:. But if it really looks bad im sincerely Sorry! :sad::sad:

Ethan

SARKY
12-29-2012, 02:06 AM
I use a TC Hawken and a TC White Mountain Carbine, both in .50 Cal.

hunter63
12-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Just a thought....Have you looked into a Hunter Safety course in your area?

Completion of a course like this would go a long way to prove to your parents that you have given this some thought, put some effort into it and showed some maturity.

LowKey
12-29-2012, 02:07 PM
Ammo?
You understand this is a muzzle-loader, right?
Hornady, as noted, sells the swaged balls.
Both Lee and Lyman make round ball molds if you want to cast your own.
Patches are easy to get/make.
You'll want a powder measure at the very least.
A wooden bullet starter is kinda nice to have too.
You'll probably need your state's equivalent of a Firearms ID Card (if required) to purchase the powder and the caps.
If your state requires one, might want to check into the requirements. A class may be involved.
You might have to have that before taking the hunters ed course.

I have a DP Hawken. Haven't taken it hunting. It's kind of heavy and more than a bit long (barrel length) to be trudging through the high-brush wooded areas around here. But it's great fun on the range. Sucks to clean, but that's part of owning one.

Sportsman296
12-29-2012, 04:12 PM
i passed my Hunter safety course with a 100%. :)
and yes i understand its a muzzleloader and thats why i like it because it takes me back in time to our frontier days and its not a high tec 50.bmg sniper rifle that kicks like a mule. also im a history buff and it would fit in with my reenactment guns ( not really because it can fire real projectiles suckh as balls.etc wereas my reenactment guns only shoot powder and patch, i don't know why but thats what the dealer told me when my step-dad purchased them?) . :)

Sportsman296
12-29-2012, 04:13 PM
And Ohio doesnt reguest an Firearms ID Card for caps and powder.

hunter63
12-29-2012, 05:37 PM
That's kind of interesting, do they have a name on them?......I guess i can't say I have ever heard of any that won't shoot a projectile unless they are considered "blank guns".

Congratulations on the Hunter Safety, very valuable first step.

kyratshooter
12-29-2012, 06:00 PM
Just because you only shoot powder and patch in your reenactment guns does not mean that is all they will do. I have been reenacting for 50 years and never saw a reenactment gun that would not fire a projectile if you put it on top of the powder and patch. If you can pour powder down the front and shoot a spark up its butt it will fire a projectile.

In the Civil War reenactment community they refer to firing blanks as "shooting", but all the replicas will fire projectiles, though many never get used for "real" shooting.

In the frontier/F&I War/RevWar reenactment community everything they use will shoot a real projectile. Almost every frontier camp I attend includes a shooting match.

hunter63
12-29-2012, 06:21 PM
I was just kinda curious as to why they would tell someone that....It will only shoot power and patch.......Hummmm

Stiffy
12-29-2012, 10:30 PM
Yep, I hunt with a .54cal Hawken percussion and a .50cal custom flint lock full stock southern mtn rifle.
I also use .30cal bigbore air rifle to hunt hogs with, it throws a 110gr bullet around 950fps for two shots
before I have to air it back up with 3600psi pressure.

They make a .30 cal air rifle????? Now you tell me.

crashdive123
12-29-2012, 10:36 PM
They make a .30 cal air rifle????? Now you tell me.

They make bigger than that.

http://www.pyramydair.com/article/_50_Caliber_Dragon_Slayer_Air_Rifle_December_2007/45

Stiffy
12-29-2012, 10:44 PM
Oh well. My MK II should be showing up in about two weeks and then I can just forget the whole air rifle thing.

crashdive123
12-29-2012, 10:47 PM
I think you'll be happy with your purchase.

Sportsman296
12-30-2012, 12:25 AM
I'm not saying they don't but we just took the guys info, we might try to fire a ball or something through it, there brown besses for rev. war reenactments, they don't say what caliber but i saw a barrel gauge at a gunshop that measures the muzzle hole "gap" with the calibers measurements, it's like 25$ but it says it measures from 22. to 50. so my step dad said he might pick one up next time he stops in. That is weird though that they don't have a cal. but they have a crest of like a gunsmiths mark on the barrel its a crest with 3 waves on the top left and a zig zag line on the top right and on theebottom right the 3 waves and on the bottom left it has the zig zag line? don't know who that would be but its probably a gunsmiths mark but don't know? The store was the mountain man llc in columbus ohio but they went outa buisness during the resession a bit ago??? If nyone recognizes the crest please inquire!
Thanks,

Ethan

kyratshooter
12-30-2012, 12:37 AM
I was just kinda curious as to why they would tell someone that....It will only shoot power and patch.......Hummmm

Several years ago there was a batch of roughly made Brown Bess replicas imported from India that got a real bad rap.

You know how those things go, someone expects more than they paid for and then declares an item useless due to their own incompetance. The company actually wound up sueing several individuals for defamation for their persistant internet comments. (yep they obviously can do that) The importer proved that their products were as strong as anything on the market.

All that spilled over to every importer of any replica and some people still warn reenactors off shooting real loads out of their muskets.

You know how it goes.

I know one guy that blew himself up dumping cigarette ashes into a glass jar of black powder and now warns everyone he encounters off muzzle loading guns because they are too dangerous to be around.