PDA

View Full Version : Belt your Serpintine.......???? "WHAT"

Sourdough
03-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Do you pet your serpentine belt......Inspect it for cracks or chips.....? Do you have a spare serpentine belt...?

Do you care....? you might....?

Beo
03-13-2008, 03:07 PM
Yes, everything I have with a serpintine bel I inspect during normal maintenance, also the other belts on such things as generators, car, suv, riding mower, and even the wife's vaccum.

nell67
03-13-2008, 04:35 PM
My sister ad her family were on their way to church one Sunday,when their belt broke as they pulled into the parking lot,they didn't have a spare belt,so she shimmied out of her pantyhose and they tied that onto the pulleys and made it to the part store after church:eek:

crashdive123
03-13-2008, 05:49 PM
Yep to inspect. Nope to spare. Would probably be a good idea on long trips, or away from home/civilization.

GVan
03-14-2008, 11:49 PM
I usually have my belts changed before a long trip. And I take it to the garage to ensure that the inspection is done sorta correctly.

And Nell, that panty hose goes way back to the days of silk stockings ant the Modle T's.
I had learned about it from my grand father in the mid 50's.

canid
03-14-2008, 11:58 PM
heh, i like to stand around the garage to make sure things are done sorta correctly.

Rick
03-15-2008, 09:01 AM
Interestingly, Dodge had a problem with one of their mini vans losing the serpentine when it hit a water puddle (for real). They had to produce a conversion kit (at owner expense) to solve the problem.

I do a monthly safety check on my vehicles that includes checking the belt for cracks or frays. If I see cracks on the inside of the belt, it gets changed.