PDA

View Full Version : Injured Survival

FVR
07-08-2007, 07:55 PM
I was thinking about this two Mondays ago. I was working on a 10' bldg and fell off. I was in luck as I managed to hit on the heal of my boot and did a nice roll. I guess all that training in how to fall and plf's really helped.

As I layed there, I did a quick body check, did not jump up right away. I wondered, what would I do if I was in the middle of nowhere. Now granite, I was in the middle of nowhere, but I had my phone.

If this was a small rock face, wondered what I would have done. What if I had broken something, I've broken my ankle on less.

Then on Thurs., while on the same site, middle of nowhere, I dropped a 20lb steel plate on my left middle finger. Kind of degloved it to the tip. Instantly I grabbed the finger and applied pressure, calmed my self down as it really hurt, accepted it and took a look. Did cuss a little.

Now, I packed up my gear, made a phone call and drove 10 miles to the hospital where they eventually started sewing.

The worst kind of survival is that with an injury. Les tried it one arm on one episode and after half a day, canned that idea.

I've read many stories of people dying of lacerations and breaks that now days means nothing.

On the finger, I could have taken care of it myself, oh no Rambo here, I would not have been able to stitch my finger. After alot of pain, I could have washed the wound and rolled it back down the finger, wrapped, and hoped for the best.

Big Problem, infection. Even in the hosp. they gave me an antibiotic and a tet shot.

On the fall, ya just have to hope that luck is on your side.

May be researching anti biotics that may just make it into the kit. Better yet, nat. anti biotics.

Sarge47
07-08-2007, 08:54 PM
I was thinking about this two Mondays ago. I was working on a 10' bldg and fell off. I was in luck as I managed to hit on the heal of my boot and did a nice roll. I guess all that training in how to fall and plf's really helped.

As I layed there, I did a quick body check, did not jump up right away. I wondered, what would I do if I was in the middle of nowhere. Now granite, I was in the middle of nowhere, but I had my phone.

If this was a small rock face, wondered what I would have done. What if I had broken something, I've broken my ankle on less.

Then on Thurs., while on the same site, middle of nowhere, I dropped a 20lb steel plate on my left middle finger. Kind of degloved it to the tip. Instantly I grabbed the finger and applied pressure, calmed my self down as it really hurt, accepted it and took a look. Did cuss a little.

Now, I packed up my gear, made a phone call and drove 10 miles to the hospital where they eventually started sewing.

The worst kind of survival is that with an injury. Les tried it one arm on one episode and after half a day, canned that idea.

I've read many stories of people dying of lacerations and breaks that now days means nothing.

On the finger, I could have taken care of it myself, oh no Rambo here, I would not have been able to stitch my finger. After alot of pain, I could have washed the wound and rolled it back down the finger, wrapped, and hoped for the best.

Big Problem, infection. Even in the hosp. they gave me an antibiotic and a tet shot.

On the fall, ya just have to hope that luck is on your side.

May be researching anti biotics that may just make it into the kit. Better yet, nat. anti biotics.

Hydrogen Peroxide will work in some instances. I have also bought small bottles of iodine for water purification that are also used as an antiseptic!

FVR
07-09-2007, 07:12 PM
Ripped the stitches out today, not on purpose. Cleaned and super glued it shut, we'll see how that works.

Have used this method for minor cuts as a quick fix. Just dabbed a little on the ends, pulled the skin back up and over and blow dry.

nell67
07-09-2007, 08:26 PM
OUCH!! That had to hurt,good luck with the glue works good on smaller cuts ,but that injury sounds pretty bad.YIKES!

Tony uk
07-11-2007, 11:30 AM
I carry vinegar with me since it has lots of uses

Apple cider vinegar and honey as a cure-all: use to prevent apathy, obesity,
hay fever, asthma, rashes, food poisoning, heartburn, sore throat, bad eyesight,
dandruff, brittle nails and bad breath.

Vinegar promotes skin health: rub on tired, sore or swollen areas.
Apply vinegar to chapped, cracked skin for quick healing,
Cold vinegar relieves sunburn.

Sarge47
07-11-2007, 11:35 AM
I carry vinegar with me since it has lots of uses

Apple cider vinegar and honey as a cure-all: use to prevent apathy, obesity,
hay fever, asthma, rashes, food poisoning, heartburn, sore throat, bad eyesight,
dandruff, brittle nails and bad breath.

Vinegar promotes skin health: rub on tired, sore or swollen areas.
Apply vinegar to chapped, cracked skin for quick healing,
Cold vinegar relieves sunburn.

Yeah, but then you smell like a salad. :>)

Tony uk
07-11-2007, 11:40 AM
Whats So bad about a fresh salad ;)

FVR
07-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Great vin. advise.

Fav. is apple vin. and oil on lettuce.

Hmmmm, may just make some right now.

spiritman
07-14-2007, 03:44 AM
Whats So bad about a fresh salad ;)

well since you asked, if your willing to eat it, so is your friend Mr. Bear, Grizzly Bear. I'm sure he wouldn't mind a person that tasted like salad on the outside and tasted like you on the inside. I think that might be marketable! I'll call it survivor salad! I bet it would be a hit at zoo's!