PDA

View Full Version : Don't keep all of your eggs in one basket!

Wildthang
12-26-2012, 08:32 AM
I have a friend who lives in the country not too far from here. He came by the other day and hung out in the shop with me, and I found out that his house had burned to the ground the week before. He is not a hard core prepper, but did have the essentials a person needs to survive a catastrophy.
He told me that he wished he had kept some of his guns, ammo, and food in his pole barn instead of keeping it all in the house, because now he has lost everything that was important to him.
He has a nice insulated pole barn that is heated and dry, and now he regrets keeping all of his eggs in one basket. As simple as this is, a lot of people never think about personal disasters and only prepare for the huge apocalyptic out of control events. Almost any structure can burn down, so if you have a good dry outbuilding suitable for prep storage, keep some of your stuff in the outbuilding and in your house, you may be glad you did!

jfeatherjohn
12-26-2012, 11:25 AM
Being an apartment guy, I don't have a pole barn. My truck might look a bit chaotic, but it is my pole barn.
I do have a travel trailer, but it is 10 miles from me and I'm not sure what it would be like to get to it during the big snow, big power failure etc.
Sorry to hear about your buddy's loss; that's losing history.

hunter63
12-26-2012, 09:09 PM
Favorite saying.
Deploy your assets....never keep them all in one place...so no will one know how many you really have. ans someting will be availble when needed.

Good advice.

Geek
12-26-2012, 10:07 PM
He's alive, therefore he survived. What he lost can be replaced, and he learned in the process. Sounds like he deserves some congratulations. :-)

Power Giant
01-07-2013, 06:46 PM
Very sound advice. Maybe a fireproof safe would be better than nothing?

hunter63
01-07-2013, 07:25 PM
I am really supprised this thread hasn't taken off.......lots of room for suggestions here.

randyt
01-07-2013, 07:45 PM
when I was a kid we had a house and several outbuildings. As a young adult I wanted a house and one big barn. As a middle aged adult I ended up with a decent barn and several outbuildings. I like the idea of keeping things spread out a bit.

Wildthang
01-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Well since my bubby's house burnt down, I have moved some stuff around. I keep 2 or 3 guns and some of my food preps in the pole barn, and am going to move some of my ammo out there as well. My pole barn is insulated and heated and it never gets below 45 degrees since that is the low setting on the thermostat, so I would think that preps would keep in there just as well as in the basement. I may move the food back to the house in the summer time because of the heat. I have been having thoughts of building an insulated cabinet for keeping ammo out there just to keep the temperature stabil for the ammo. Or maybe an old refrigerator that works and just keep it set on about 60 degrees.

Winnie
01-08-2013, 05:07 AM
Since I moved into this flat, I've had to consolidate things again. I had a stash in the shed where I used to live.

Wildthang
01-09-2013, 12:59 PM
Since I moved into this flat, I've had to consolidate things again. I had a stash in the shed where I used to live.

Well Winnie, sometimes you just have to keep your eggs in one basket, and there is nothing you can do about it. My problem is that sometimes I think I have too many eggs:scared:

Wildthang
01-09-2013, 01:03 PM
I am really supprised this thread hasn't taken off.......lots of room for suggestions here.

You know for some reason that reminds me of another spread it out trick. I keep lot's of gas in a shed well away from my house and shop, but I also keep an old truck that has dual gas tanks. The truck doesn't run, but it is a really good fuel storage unit. I keep locking gas caps on it and it basically just looks pretty innocent setting back there in the woods, and holds 40 gallons of spare gas.

hunter63
01-09-2013, 03:56 PM
i think you are on to the rural camo shed.....No one would bat an eye.

I have had a 55 gal, camping barrel, in a truck, now in the shed, back from the years of camping at "The Place".....in campers and tents and such......Otherwise everything got eaten by mice...
Don't really use the drum any more as I did have moisture problems even though it was sealed......

At that time my old '87 Ford was kinda parked there for the same reason.......gas tank full, truck-cap(camper shell) had barrel and other gear in the back.
The mice ate the rear breaks anti-lock wires, trailer hook up wires, and made nest in the air cleaner and motor........What a mess.
Finally sold it was it was just being destroyed......sitting there.

But a van/or truck, or even an old car, parked would look like just about every "homestead" in the county.....seems everyone stores stuff in old vehicles, and if you are "rich", you have an old school bus parked somewhere....The ultimate, blend in, storage unit, house, chicken coup, shed...what ever.

Power Giant
01-12-2013, 04:31 PM
The inside of a vehicle gets awfully hot in summer, and a little clammy in winter. I'm just sayin'.

hunter63
01-12-2013, 04:36 PM
The inside of a vehicle gets awfully hot in summer, and a little clammy in winter. I'm just sayin'.

Park it in the shade?.......
I hear ya, even the 55 gal drum (steel) seemed to get condensation in it after a while....and we were using the gear pretty regular.

Just thinking out loud........

1stimestar
01-12-2013, 08:32 PM
A neighbor of a friend of mine's house burnt down recently. He helped the guy dig down to his cache that was in the floor of his garage. He had about $13000 in silver down there. Guess it was a good cache spot.

Wildthang
01-13-2013, 07:49 AM
I would think a steel drum would need to be insulated to deal with moisure issues. I pour that Heat stuff into my old truck tanks in the spring and fall along with fuel stabilizer. the gas always burns good for me! I also try to use it and replace it a lot as well!