PDA

View Full Version : 25 DEC 12 - Spent a few hours in the woods...

ElevenBravo
12-25-2012, 10:40 PM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIysQVPXku0

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIysQVPXku0

Had a good time... Finally tried out a few new toys.

*) ILBE: Much better than the old ALICE pack, weight distribution on the body and comfort are superior. Bulk of weight is actually on the hips, where it belongs to start with.

*) Condor Golok: Bad to the bone piece of equipment. Blade is fine, and the handle is really nice, but... it is smooth and thus a little slippery. Ill be grinding some hash marks in it later to improve grip.

*) Hill People chest rig: Super nice, didnt have to worry about weapon retention or availability at any time. It was wet out, so wet leaves and some mud made for a slippery decent... therefore I fell (without injury... I know, your disappointed about that) about 3 times during the steepest parts, weapon always stayed put. And since the XD has a grip safety I dont have to worry about an AD like I did with the Glock.

As always, Mountain House provided a good meal, the open top alcohol jet stove heated the water in no time, as always...

Oh, I almost forgot, I found fatwood in the field for the *first time*... built a little fire, which was nice. Everything was either damp or wet and I only needed two matches!! I could have built larger, but that wasnt the objective... Just wanted to build a nice little fire, they warm the spirit too!!

Take care...
Andrew

WolfVanZandt
12-26-2012, 12:34 AM
Heh. Glad somebody could get out today. We've been having tornadoes around here so I figured this is a good day to lock myself in my apartment.

Wildthang
12-26-2012, 08:36 AM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzkTR5ZmCaM

Had a good time... Finally tried out a few new toys.

*) ILBE: Much better than the old ALICE pack, weight distribution on the body and comfort are superior. Bulk of weight is actually on the hips, where it belongs to start with.

*) Condor Golok: Bad to the bone piece of equipment. Blade is fine, and the handle is really nice, but... it is smooth and thus a little slippery. Ill be grinding some hash marks in it later to improve grip.

*) Hill People chest rig: Super nice, didnt have to worry about weapon retention or availability at any time. It was wet out, so wet leaves and some mud made for a slippery decent... therefore I fell (without injury... I know, your disappointed about that) about 3 times during the steepest parts, weapon always stayed put. And since the XD has a grip safety I dont have to worry about an AD like I did with the Glock.

As always, Mountain House provided a good meal, the open top alcohol jet stove heated the water in no time, as always...

Oh, I almost forgot, I found fatwood in the field for the *first time*... built a little fire, which was nice. Everything was either damp or wet and I only needed two matches!! I could have built larger, but that wasnt the objective... Just wanted to build a nice little fire, they warm the spirit too!!

Take care...
Andrew

That's what it is all about eleven! I wish I had time to do that right now!

ElevenBravo
12-26-2012, 08:08 PM
Feel ya Wild... its been over a month since I was in the bush and I had the bad itch! So, I scratched it. Im not Christian so I dont subscribe to the Xmas thing (no disrespect to anyone intended), so i took the opportunity to use one of my days off from work to do what *I* wanted to do!

Ive been working 56+ hours a week for a while and I needed some time with Mother Nature to just... zen.

Andrew