PDA

View Full Version : How long before I'm timed out?

LarryB
12-24-2012, 01:39 AM
Frustrating. Seems like an hour, maybe. Half way through writing up a post to find out it won't take it because I've been logged out already. :( That sucks! Can't it be set for a longer period?

your_comforting_company
12-24-2012, 06:15 AM
Every time I post, it seems like I get "wsf is not responding" and it'll do that several times until it says "Windows can no longer retry to restore the page" and I have to start all over. Lately I type everything into notepad, and copy / paste 4 or 5 times until it sticks. I understand your frustration.

LarryB
12-24-2012, 11:15 AM
Thanks for your input YCC. Still waiiting for a mod perhaps to 'splain these probs to us. :)

el-amigo
12-24-2012, 11:56 AM
You can workaround the timeout problem if you either use the browser's password manager or set the "Remind me" at logon.
Certainly it is not an answer for your question, but perhaps it helps a bit.

kyratshooter
12-24-2012, 12:21 PM
I think this may be a problem with your computer, server, connection or settings.

I stay logged in permanently and I am never "kicked off" or have posting problems, and I am far from being a computer geek.

If course they may start today, who knows?

jfeatherjohn
12-24-2012, 12:27 PM
This issue is news to me. I, too, remain logged in and I have not been timed out.

nell67
12-24-2012, 12:43 PM
I NEVER have to log in,unless I clear my cookies,since I ticked that little box beside my screen name that says "keep me logged in",when you enter your screen name and password,that little box is right there beside it.

LarryB
12-24-2012, 04:49 PM
You can workaround the timeout problem if you either use the browser's password manager or set the "Remind me" at logon.
Certainly it is not an answer for your question, but perhaps it helps a bit.

Neat, seems that cool little tidbit just may have worked for this ol' trapper. Still check'n with this post even, :) Oh, and do have a Very Merry Christmas y'all... :) lb

LarryB
12-24-2012, 04:57 PM
I think this may be a problem with your computer, server, connection or settings.

I stay logged in permanently and I am never "kicked off" or have posting problems, and I am far from being a computer geek.

If course they may start today, who knows?

I think your suggestions have helped me fix my prob. Thanx for help'n a dumby ol' bushguy like myself into Compute'n 101 ROFL. Thanx 4 care'n friend. :cool: Also I want to extend my wishes to you and yours, for a close and Joyful Christmas together at some point, in someway,out here,somewhere ... and to all a good night. Hehe :) lb

LarryB
12-24-2012, 05:38 PM
Whew, all those cool reply's from you awesome peeps in here, were a fix in one way or another, so Thank You, to all of you who came to the aid of a stranger, want'n & need'n to know something. Thank You all and may y'all have a, Really Beautiful Christmas. :)

Rick
12-25-2012, 07:49 AM
You have a 900 second (15 minute) window of inactivity if you don't tick the "Remember Me" box. That's the default and I assume Chris has left it at that. The "Remember me" box sets a cookie on your 'puter that stores your login. If you have cookies turned off it won't work of course.

If you decide to write they next great novel and post it on here you might try highlighting the text then hit Control+C (Copy) before you actually post. That way if you get bumped off for any reason you have your novel saved and just need to do a Control+V to paste it. You can right click your mouse and Copy and Paste as well.

Chris
12-25-2012, 01:10 PM
Cookies are perhaps the biggest piece of misunderstood technology. I am an advanced computer user, been using the internet since 1994, built websites, built computers, etc. I set my browser to accept all cookies. That should tell you something. The only time you'd not want to do that is a public computer, like at a library or something.

Security companies label them as threats because they want to scare you into buying/keeping their software.

They allow websites to remember you, which is a huge convenience, such as on this forum.

They're used for ads too, and that is a good thing. It doesn't track you, John Smith at 123 Mainstreet. It tracks you, computer user 198798769879, it isn't personally identifiable. It allows advertising to be targeted, which I personally appreciate. I'd just assume see ads for things I want and have an interest in, than random things, especially when they include deals. Sometimes I'll shop on a site, leave it, but then see an ad for the site with a coupon in it. I find such things useful, even though I know it was cookie based tracking that gave me the discount.

So if I were anyone on a home computer, I would accept all cookies in my browser.

LarryB
12-26-2012, 09:15 AM
Thanx Rick for show'n me the way...Everything is OK now. :) lb

LarryB
12-26-2012, 09:16 AM
Thanx Chris, all cookies it is brother. :) lb

your_comforting_company
01-01-2013, 07:56 AM
I switched to Chrome, and it appears fine now. We will see!