PDA

View Full Version : Wanna make a dug out canoe

Beo
03-13-2008, 11:45 AM
I wanna make a dug out canoe, don't know how been looking it up but does anyone know how to make a dug out canoe? I know its easier to buy one, don't wanna, wanna make one but don't wanna sink.

carcajou garou
03-13-2008, 12:01 PM
Keep it wet as you chip/dig/core out the cavity. I have seen some that were subsequently "burnt" on the inside?? maybe to seal the wood??,
prevent checking??
But they all had some water left in and kept in the shadow to prevent drying out.

carcajou garou
03-13-2008, 12:18 PM
Using a gutter adze to chip out the cavity would be a help and adding cross braces same as in a regular canoe would help in stabalizing the gunnels.

canid
03-13-2008, 05:39 PM
the burning is to make the hewing out of the inside easier. it will make it much quicker than with hand tools alone. personaly Beo, i would recommend the ginger use of a chinswaw to remove the bulk of the wood.

your choice of wood will probably be your leading consideration. where the log/boat is soaked in water, it serves both to keep the wood soft and workable, and to prevent checking, outright splitting [not the burning]. your choice of wood is going to help determine whether you can pull it off at all.

what settled you on a dugout? you understand it's going to come out at like 300lb dry weight?

Smok
03-14-2008, 12:50 AM
Beo... try Hawaiian dug outs they still are making them there

Beo
03-14-2008, 12:48 PM
just like them Canid, took a trip in one down the Miami and it was real fun, wanna try that link BraggSurvivor left for the plywood canoe too. I got some spare time coming so I wanna build a nice lilcraft for weekend trips me and Trooper take.

canid
03-14-2008, 01:34 PM
nice. i hope you enjoy the building. when you get into the plywood/board boats i might be of more help