PDA

View Full Version : smallest bow for small game?...

CreekFisher
12-11-2012, 09:26 PM
sounds weird to ask but....

My girlfriend wants to take up archery, and i thought about buying her a little beginner setup ... she played with one and was struggling with the 25lb draw weight, so i found one with 18-23lb draw weight. SO would i be able to steal it and hunt any rabbit with it? lol (everything has to have multiple purposes in my house, so her target "toy" could maybe be my weekend hunting "toy")

any ideas/help?

crashdive123
12-11-2012, 09:41 PM
A lot (most?) states list the minimum draw weight for hunting.

CreekFisher
12-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Really!? i did not know that... i am a newbie lol i will check into that. thanks Crash! maybe i can just buy that for her now and work her up to a bigger bow later. off to google!

CreekFisher
12-11-2012, 11:19 PM
A little research and it turns out my state doesn't have a minimum draw weight for small game. So I might be able to sneak a bow out later this winter lol

gryffynklm
12-12-2012, 04:01 AM
Check your state for appropreate hunting season regulations and licence requirements

intothenew
12-12-2012, 09:24 AM
Somebody always has to come along and complicate things, but a finely tuned bow is a thing of beauty and great satisfaction. There is little chance that one bow will suit both of you.

To only concentrate on the bow, to hunt with especially, is short sighted. You must concern yourself with the business end as well. Assuming you are correct on no draw weight threshold, is there a definition on broadhead style or weight?
Even if not, I would recommend a robust, economical, fixed, three blade head for small game. LINKY (http://www.3riversarchery.com/del-ma+penetrator+lite+3-blade+glue-on+broadheads_i4952_baseitem.html) Something of that style will allow you to field sharpen also.

Getting a properly tuned arrow with a relatively heavy broadhead, and at those low draw weights, will be hard to do.

The primitivists will certainly think this is overkill, but.......... "a finely tuned bow is a thing of beauty and great satisfaction".

Set her up with a target bow. Let her learn to kill pennies, the dual purpose will be at desert time. ;-)

kyratshooter
12-12-2012, 12:55 PM
No need for broadheads on small game unless you have legal issues in your state. Blunts have always been the standard for that target. Field points or targets will do equally as well. You will get through and through penetration on most any small game target with either.

Using your "toy bow" you should stick to rabbits and squirrels. Nothing bigger.

While "a well tuned bow is a thing of bueaty and satisfaction" so is a finely tuned Rolls Royce. It does not mean you should get off the road if you don't have a Rolls.

Sometimes a bent stick with a piece of string has to do.

intothenew
12-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Some will fuss over a one hundred dollar rifle, measuring powder to a tenth of a grain, bullets the same, brass by volume, to tune it to satisfaction. It doesn't have to be a Rolls Royce to be "a thing of beauty and great satisfaction".

Some will do the same with a more primitive tool, balancing an axe, tuning a bow, etc.

A broadhead gives a greater effective target, is easier to retrieve, and is more versatile.

Sometimes a Saturday Night Special has to do.

finallyME
12-12-2012, 03:08 PM
How old is your girlfriend? My 11 year old daughter can pull a 25 pounder. I would get her the 30 and have her practice. It won't take long before she has no problem with it. Pulling a bow back is not all strength. There is some finesse to it, and skill.

CreekFisher
12-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Thanks for all the feedback ....

Mozartghost1791
12-12-2012, 06:18 PM
And it is important to note that 'pulling a bow' is more likened to 'pushing'. I would think she would have trouble if she's trying to 'pull' the bow...
Hold the bowstring next to your cheek and push the bow away with your left hand (if your a right handed person). Doing it right is the difference between struggling with 25 lbs and doing it easy with 50 lbs.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
12-12-2012, 07:43 PM
I have a PSE Discovery II and at 29lbs. my daughter cannot pull it she is 9. Great bow, I bought it for bowfishing, thus the low poundage. Another thing to consider with compound bows is letoff. The Disco is 0% letoff which allows snap shots. I think it'd do awesome for small game.