PDA

View Full Version : Mood swings...

rebel
03-12-2008, 11:39 PM
I'm noticing some different behavior from members. Everyone has mood swings. It's natural. This forum is unique in that it does not support a sense of well being. We talk of end of the world stuff, survival, extreme conditions and economic downfalls. Then, when someone doesn't behave as someone deems right he is attacked. Who knows, part of the behavior maybe from his personal life. Stress from family, work or health. Anyway, it's late and I get goofy. If you can make any sense out of this, I think we should be supportive. In a real survival senario there will be alot of stress too. This could be a good learning event for ourselves. Or you can attack me and see what I say...

BraggSurvivor
03-12-2008, 11:46 PM
Cant we all just get aBong? :confused:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/Bructer/drunks.gif

Alpine_Sapper
03-12-2008, 11:54 PM
. This could be a good learning event for ourselves.

sure...an environment almost as stressful and rife with conflict as a party lost in the mountains with no gear and no supplies. lol. how can anyone ever hope to survive in "the wilds" or when TSHTF if they get their panties in a knot and can't deal with someone disagreeing with them on a forum?

rebel
03-13-2008, 12:03 AM
My mom taught special ed. I remember one trait. Inability for change. Any change from the status quo would bring chaos.

Sourdough
03-13-2008, 01:46 AM
One theory might be these problems show up on Fri. and Sat. night. Maybe some people are self medicating. And some just don't have a reverse, and can not back up, they are just cranky, old poop'heads.

Old poop'heads see they got one foot on a banana peal and one in the grave, and all their bones hurt. See they REALLY just don't care, they ain't going to be around much longer, and they ain't backing up. Now along comes some smart young whippersnapper thinks he'll have some fun.

If someone is young and thinks he be bad; he should remember the old goat only got a few years left, he done got 98.7% of his good years is used up.
Why would a young'in risk loosing 60 or more years of his life mess'in with some old poop'head that's got no time left.

In a real survival situation the old poop'heads will be short on verbal banter, and quick on decisive action. It will be like the movie Tombstone: Young Ringo say's "Aw, I was just fooling." Doc Holiday Say's, "I wasn't".

Most young males only real experience is with other young males, and if they are lucky their father. They think they can run their stuff on other adult males in the real world, (not talking the INTERNET world) they will learn quickly they are not nine feet tall, and not the meanest bear in the valley.

Rick
03-13-2008, 07:24 AM
Rebel - Late or not, it's a good post. I've always found it curious how people can get so wrapped around the axle over written words. It's just that, words. If you can not control yourself in front of a keyboard how can you control yourself in a really serious situation? How can others count on you to act like an adult when things go south if they can't count on you to act like an adult in a conversation?

Whether it is verbally fighting with someone because they said something you don't like, verbally attacking someone else because they don't fit your mold, or protesting because you don't get your way, it seems pretty fruitless to me.

I do find it curious but I also find it disappointing. I think it boils down to maturity and that has little to do with age.

All you have to do is...nothing. It's that simple. Ignore the impulse to tell them what you think. Move on to another thread. Just let it go. In reality, you are not battling with them. You are battling with your own thoughts about them.

Personally, the last few days have left a pretty sour taste in my mouth. I had higher expectations of some folks I guess. So that's probably my own fault.

wareagle69
03-13-2008, 07:46 AM
Cant we all just get aBong? :confused:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/Bructer/drunks.gif

spoken like a true cehnehdehian

Beo
03-13-2008, 08:18 AM
First of all I agree with rebel and this is a good post, Sam I like too, and Hopeak keeps me laughing, RRRRick ya know I like you too, but what I write or type on here has nothing to do with how I react in a situation, or the outdoors, the survival stuff does but the banter and horseplaying (that yes gets waaaaaaaay out of hand) is just that horseplay and banter. What I write on here does not mean I can't handle a survival situation, but I agree with Rick very much, it got out of hand and NOTHING is the best answer to all name calling and horseplaying. If I offended anyone I apologize, I was playing around.

Sourdough
03-13-2008, 09:25 AM
I am not upset with anyone. I am disappointed in the "Forum" as a method of passing information. But that is my problem. I have learned a lot here, Not about wilderness survival, but about young people. I do not have children. I was raised in the 1950's to respect all adults, including the village Idiot. All adults, regardless of race, color, etc.

Yes I had an issue with palerider. I don't know who palerider is, and don't care. Rebel asked, if we can't get along here, how do we get along in a real world TSHTF, My response is I don't care. I am not 9' feet tall, not bulletproof, not the baddest bear in the valley. My only ace in the hole is that I don't care. My point is in a real world TSHTF situation, I would not spar with palerider. I would just leave him and the others, and go survive by my self.

Would I ever apologize to palerider, never. Would I ever back down from palerider in a real world altercation, never. Not because I am bigger, or stronger, or quicker, or more skilled. My guess is all of that would be on his side, and to his advantage. The only "ACE" I hold is that I truly don't care. And that is the point I was making in the earlier post to this thread

I am upset with the forum. Not the members.

Beo
03-13-2008, 09:47 AM
We can get things back on track by not falling into the games, we can have fun bu stop with the games. I for one am done with them.

Sourdough
03-13-2008, 09:56 AM
sure...an environment almost as stressful and rife with conflict as a party lost in the mountains with no gear and no supplies. lol. how can anyone ever hope to survive in "the wilds" or when TSHTF if they get their panties in a knot and can't deal with someone disagreeing with them on a forum?

In the world of money there is a saying, "The person with the MONEY makes the rules".

In the the real world of survival SHTF, the person with the knowledge makes the rules or leaves with said knowledge.

I am following the person with the most knowledge, relative to the situation. And I am doing what he or she tells me to do, with "YES, LEADER".

rebel
03-13-2008, 10:06 AM
Pack dynamics is the same in all pack animal species. Wolves, seals, baboons, people, etc. It's fluid not ridged. What works for some doesn't for others at the moment. Seems we all bounce around the median line. Then there are those 10% at both ends of the curve that will never conform. Just my non-professional opinion and observation.

Beo
03-13-2008, 10:14 AM
I agree, and actually the few rules Chris has here are not really all that hard to follow.

Alpine_Sapper
03-13-2008, 10:22 AM
In the world of money there is a saying, "The person with the MONEY makes the rules".

In the the real world of survival SHTF, the person with the knowledge makes the rules or leaves with said knowledge.

I am following the person with the most knowledge, relative to the situation. And I am doing what he or she tells me to do, with "YES, LEADER".

Very very true, hopeak. However, In adition to knowledge, the ability to remain calm under pressure and make valid judgement calls based on said knowledge, as well as analyzing the situation to determine what is relevant and what isn't, are the defining marks of a leader in my opinion.

Sarge47
03-13-2008, 10:47 AM
1st let's talk about moods. Everybody is going to have a bad day, I don't care who you are, it happens. Mine are when I lack sleep because of my driving. Then I have less patience than at other times. You can always tell when members who have been here for awhile are going through this as the tone of their posts change dramatically.

2nd is fustration; which is what, I believe, Hopeak is experiencing; & I can relate. I go through the same thing when I read posts from Newbys that all ask the same questions and I've covered that elsewhere so I won't repeat it. Hopeak would like this Site to be a more effective Survival Information Delivery System;(SIDS?) And I add a hearty AMEN!!! It's why I've advocated the "Wolf-Pack Survival Book" & why Chris is trying very hard to solve the problem. Also like Hopeak, I'm struggling with patience, but I know from experience that Chris is reliable. Finally, REMY has made a great point about "Questionable Experts" which I thought was a right on.

Finally we get to the "Trolls" and "Spammers". Spammers are shut down as soon as they show up, but it takes a while longer, sometimes for a Troll to reveal themselves; when they do the correct action is taken.

A side note: We get a lot of young people on here, and, as Hopeak admits, he's never had kids so I can understand even more the fustration he's going through. I've got three grown kids and 7 great grandchildren, the youngest of which is 9, not to mention my school bus duties at times, and let me tell you that kids don't always operate in reality; there's a lot of fantasy that goes along with it. The way I see it this gives us the perfect opportunity to help mentor these "halflings" and maybe set some of them on the right path.

Just my buck-two-fifty.:cool:

Sourdough
03-13-2008, 11:25 AM
Very very true, hopeak. However, In addition to knowledge, the ability to remain calm under pressure and make valid judgment calls based on said knowledge, as well as analyzing the situation to determine what is relevant and what isn't, are the defining marks of a leader in my opinion.

I think that there is an assumption that the most knowledgeable person wants to lead, or be appointed leader; or even cares about the herd. We have been seduced into the nanny mentality.

I see it more like what Bragg did. Tried to warn people he cares about. Tried to help others. But, at some point took action. I don't get that he wants to lead them, or nanny them.

I like Rick, I like Bragg. I believe The economic SHTF six months ago. Both Rick and Bragg are leaders on this issue of the economic SHTF. Time will tell who, "Better analyzed the situation". Rick, may well prove to be correct.

I take responsibility for me, and I am doing what I need to do. I am not anyones nanny. People need to take responsibility for them selves, and their family.

Lead, Follow, or Get out of The Way, which ever you choose accept responsibility for your choice.

wareagle69
03-13-2008, 11:40 AM
bite me

opps sorry mood swing

trax
03-13-2008, 11:53 AM
You (plural or singular) don't have to like me. I'll still sleep ok tonight. And I don't have to like you, pretty sure that you're not all going to run weeping from the monitor. If I agree with you, I'll say so, if I disagree with you I'll say so. I won't "attack" someone unless I think that person is being a 3 alarm a-hole or if they're attacking someone else I'll usually go to the defense of the person I know. Maybe I should mind my own business. Oh well. We share information here and if I think someone's information is wrong, I will also say so and I'll say why.

New people are bound to ask the same things over and over again and it's the nature of the beast that they're going to ask, or post a viewpoint on something without checking through the entire forum first. So, we have the same conversation over again, big deal, ever seen them little groups of old men hanging around coffee shops in your home town? They've been having the same conversation since 1945, and some of them still get all sissy-bi*chy with the others. C'est la vie.

I worked with a guy in a bush camp many years ago who was without a doubt the most miserable human being I have ever met. How well people get along can become a very "sensitive" issue in that kind of isolation. I hated him, seriously folks. But one day I woke up to the fact that he was one of the best drillers I'd ever worked with and he was making me tres rich, and money was my reason for being there. I learned to tolerate his mood swings, I say swings because he moved between cranky, miserable, bitter and angry. So, take what you need from the forum (I think it's great!) and leave what you can't handle, or ...suck it up Princess.

wareagle69
03-13-2008, 11:57 AM
every time i walk into timmy's i look at the gaggle of old timers sitting there jawing away like a bunch of hens and hope i don't become that but then agin i don't have any freinds so i hope i can avoid that pitfall

rebel
03-13-2008, 12:18 PM
If everyone was rational all the time Jerry Springer wouldn't have a job.

Sourdough
03-13-2008, 12:31 PM
every time i walk into timmy's i look at the gaggle of old timers sitting there jawing away like a bunch of hens and hope i don't become that but then agin i don't have any freinds so i hope i can avoid that pitfall

OR you could look at it from a different angle. They "survived" to old age, I wonder if I sat with them, Naaa.......:rolleyes:

wareagle69
03-13-2008, 01:26 PM
i agrre with you hopeak(gawd that hurt to say) tsmust have hit the fan lol
old dawgs do have allot to teach us young pups and i propably should sit and talk but... i have grown up w/o a family since i was ten everything i have learned since then i have figured out on my own, i have allot to teach these youngins now but i don't have the patience nevr been paternal never will be

hillbilly1987
03-13-2008, 01:30 PM
old dawgs do have allot to teach us young pups and i propably should sit and talk but... i have grown up w/o a family since i was ten everything i have learned since then i have figured out on my own, i have allot to teach these youngins now but i don't have the patience nevr been paternal never will be

well wareagle some day you might have patience you never ever know and im only 21 and i have very little but im learning on it

Sourdough
03-13-2008, 01:53 PM

Wareagle: I ran away from home at the age of 15, and never returned.

Maybe timmy's has a table for old scouts and snipers.:rolleyes:

hillbilly1987
03-13-2008, 02:06 PM
Wareagle: I ran away from home at the age of 15, and never returned.

Maybe timmy's has a table for old scouts and snipers.:rolleyes:

wow hopeak i never knew you did that ran away from home i feel bad for you :(

Sarge47
03-13-2008, 02:26 PM

Ahhh, but if it were a Moose calf....:rolleyes:

wareagle69
03-13-2008, 02:28 PM
moose calf is different sarge and you dang well know it

Beo
03-13-2008, 02:41 PM
Yeah the calf makes you mad you can eat him:D

nell67
03-13-2008, 02:43 PM
I dont know about you guys,but I dont have mood swings:D:D

Beo
03-13-2008, 02:44 PM
SHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhure you don't.

nell67
03-13-2008, 02:46 PM
No honest,I dont...LMAO!!!!!!!!:p:D

Beo
03-13-2008, 02:50 PM
Mmmmmmmmmm Hhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, don't believe it.

nell67
03-13-2008, 02:54 PM
Mmmmmmmmmm Hhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, don't believe it.

LMAO they dont believe it at work either......:rolleyes:

trax
03-13-2008, 03:27 PM
Hey man, she doesn't have mood swings ok? Just leave it alone now! (Whattya tryin' to get me killed? yeesh...):confused:

wareagle69
03-13-2008, 03:33 PM
Yeah the calf makes you mad you can eat him:D

yo beo if you come to the gathering remind me to introduce you to the mrs gonna let her read this thread when she gets home in a few...

nell67
03-13-2008, 03:56 PM
Hey man, she doesn't have mood swings ok? Just leave it alone now! (Whattya tryin' to get me killed? yeesh...):confused:

LOL!! Poor Trax,now ya got him scared Beo!:eek:

trax
03-13-2008, 04:04 PM
LOL!! Poor Trax,now ya got him scared Beo!:eek:

Let's just call it....cautious....

nell67
03-13-2008, 04:09 PM
Let's just call it....cautious....

no need to be ...cautious of me,I am quite easy to get along with....most days:D

wildWoman
03-13-2008, 04:52 PM
Maybe it's the alignment of the planets or something. Soemtimes it seems like almost everybody is grumpy. When I paddled into town last summer and saw the first live people in 8 months, I was happy to see other humans up close. And then the very first three peole I talked to were not just unfriendly but downright rude. That put a damper on me! But then I hooked of with my friends and figured, s***w those other guys. Re-inforced the going to town just twice a year thing, though.

nell67
03-14-2008, 02:40 AM
Is that like 'it's ok, just go to sleep honey' after a good long row over bills or whatever. I did not sleep a wink. lol.
Nope not at all.

bulrush
03-14-2008, 09:24 AM
Rebel,
Every web site has its own personality defined by how members act. The personality of this website and forum is like a bunch of guys in a bar telling dirty jokes and verbally sparring, but it's all in good jest. This is not a place where we get out the man drum and cry out our sorrows. Verbal sparring is one way to relieve stress (from work, home, or whatever) without physical violence. And we get some pretty funny name calling too!

So just relax and don't take this forum too seriously.

rebel
03-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Rebel,
Every web site has its own personality defined by how members act. The personality of this website and forum is like a bunch of guys in a bar telling dirty jokes and verbally sparring, but it's all in good jest. This is not a place where we get out the man drum and cry out our sorrows. Verbal sparring is one way to relieve stress (from work, home, or whatever) without physical violence. And we get some pretty funny name calling too!

So just relax and don't take this forum too seriously.

My sincere apology to all.