PDA

View Full Version : Blisters

crashdive123
03-12-2008, 10:03 PM
Beo recently did a real nice post on survival first aid. Here's a little more in depth info on blisters - hope it's helpful.

What causes Foot Blisters?

Heat: is the number one reason for getting Blisters. The heat responsible for causing Blisters is mostly caused by the friction between your skin and the inner of your boot. Sand and gravel in your boot can increase friction which is why they also cause Blisters.
Moisture: moist or wet feet from sweat or water are more susceptible to Blisters as moisture softens your skin.

How to Prevent Foot Blisters

Preventing Blisters boils down to countering the factors that cause them. In general, keeping your feet cool, dry, and free of sand will do the trick. Here are some tips on how to prevent Blisters:
First of all, select Hiking Boots with a good fit that do not chafe your feet or have painful pressure points. Choose watertight but breathable boots that give the proper ventilation that will get rid of excess moisture. Look for fully gusseted tongs that keep sand and gravel outside of your boots. For more information on choosing correct Hiking Boots, read our section on Buying Hiking Boots.
Give your feet ample rest. If you feel that your feet might be moist or overheated, it might be wise to make some alterations to your Hiking Rhythm and take a longer rest where you take off your boots and socks. If you do so, you might want to change socks and dry the ones you had on. Having two pairs of socks used alternately is always a good idea to prevent Blisters.
If you decide to cool your feet in a stream or pool then make sure to dry them off well before you put on your socks and boots.
When conditions allow it, take off your boots and socks and walk with sandals.

Early Treatment of Foot Blisters

Blisters develop over a period of time and often you can already feel one coming up. Early detection and treatment is the key to preventing full grown Blisters. If you feel a sore place on your foot or irritation, do the following:
Take off your boots and socks immediately and remove any sand or gravel from your feet.
Let your feet dry and cool down.
Cover the sore area with surgical tape, band-aid, or even better special Blister moleskin. Moleskins are artificial skin that you can cut to shape and stick to your own skin. Moleskin can be purchased in most drugstores in a variety of brands and features. Duct tape can also be used.
Remove the moleskin once you stop hiking and let the skin recover during the night. The next morning, you can judge for yourself to apply a new cover or not. In general, take precautions and apply moleskin even if the area is only moderately irritated.

Treatment of Foot Blisters

If the Blister is at the surface and filled with fluid, you should take a sterilized needle and pierce the blistered skin. Pierce from the side close to the base of the Blister and let all the liquid flow out. If the affected skin is still intact then do not remove it. Instead, cover the drained Blister with moleskin. If the affected area is ruptured then carefully cut it away and clean the underlying new skin with rubbing alcohol or an antiseptic. If you have the time, you should allow the new skin to harden in the open air. If you need to move on again, apply moleskin and use gauze to keep the moleskin from directly contacting the tender new skin. Once the new skin has hardened a bit, you can apply benzoin or rubbing alcohol to further toughen up the new skin. Keep the new skin clean and sterilize it to prevent infection.
If the Blister is buried deep in your skin and does not hold a lot of liquid then do not try to puncture it. Instead, just cover it with moleskin.

rebel
03-12-2008, 10:25 PM
Even in a 25 mile forced march we didn't get blisters. Why? Because, we stopped for 10minutes every hour to change our socks, readjust our packs, get water, etc. If you get a hot spot then I guess you gotta stop. Personally I'd rather live with it than fall out of formation.

crashdive123
03-12-2008, 10:34 PM
But......when I'm in the woods by myself, the only person that'll notice if I fall out of formation will be.....me:eek::D

rebel
03-12-2008, 10:51 PM
But......when I'm in the woods by myself, the only person that'll notice if I fall out of formation will be.....me:eek::D

Yea. But can you live with it?

crashdive123
03-12-2008, 10:53 PM
It'll be tough. There may even be long lasting psychological damage, but I'm willing to chance it.

rebel
03-12-2008, 10:59 PM
No doubt you would be O.K. Just fooling around.

crashdive123
03-12-2008, 11:01 PM
I know you are. Me too.

Tony uk
03-14-2008, 01:19 PM
A piece of zinc oxide tape on a hot spot will stop it forming, Thats all i need to do mostly

trax
03-14-2008, 03:28 PM
No doubt you would be O.K. Just fooling around.
actually, crash's problem would still be getting back into formation...catching up with himself.

crashdive123
03-14-2008, 03:56 PM
Yeah.....well.....that whole marching thing......didn't do too much in the Navy. So you're probably right.

bulrush
03-14-2008, 04:02 PM
Do we have zinc oxide tape in the US? I know we have zinc oxide cream.

nell67
03-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Do we have zinc oxide tape in the US? I know we have zinc oxide cream.

put the zinc oxide cream on a strip of duct tape,viola! zinc oxide tape:D

crashdive123
03-14-2008, 04:09 PM
bulrush - did a search on zinc oxide tape. Looks like all the sellers are in the UK.

Rick
03-14-2008, 04:10 PM
That would be 100 points to Nell. The next question is a double bonus. Bulrush and Crash are both need this question....

crashdive123
03-14-2008, 04:14 PM
I bow to the master. *bows to Nell chanting we're not worthy, we're not worthy*

MedicineWolf
03-15-2008, 01:17 AM
Rebel you must a been in the Marines "we stopped for 10minutes every hour to change our socks" we ain't do that in the Army... lol... we pushed thru, stopped only when we couldn't take it no more then changed socks, slapped something on the blister, and kept going, driving on to complete the Ranger objective though you be the only survivor.

rebel
03-15-2008, 08:43 AM
Rebel you must a been in the Marines "we stopped for 10minutes every hour to change our socks" we ain't do that in the Army... lol... we pushed thru, stopped only when we couldn't take it no more then changed socks, slapped something on the blister, and kept going, driving on to complete the Ranger objective though you be the only survivor.

That must be where the army came up with the slogan "army of one". Only one was left. The trail must have been gruesome with all the soldiers wriggling in blistered agony depending on corporal callus to protect them. We had major straddle trench looking out for us.

You army guys are great! Just pokkin fun.

marberry
03-15-2008, 10:08 PM
i invested the money on a $50 gel insert for my boots and i never have sore feet (unless im climbing alot.)

Rick
03-16-2008, 06:21 AM
Sam, Paleesssseeeee. Kerosene? (he said dragging Sam into the 21st Century).

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/tc/blisters-home-treatment

RobertRogers
03-16-2008, 12:15 PM
Stopping for ten minutes every hour actually allows you to travel faster. Try it!

Tony uk
03-16-2008, 12:16 PM
Sam, Paleesssseeeee. Kerosene? (he said dragging Sam into the 21st Century).

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/tc/blisters-home-treatment

If it hurts (It sounds like it would hurt.................alot.....tho pain is all in the head) It Works!!

Rick
03-16-2008, 01:04 PM
My mom used kerosene and sugar for a cough. That doesn't mean I used it with my kids. Lordy! If man were meant to have petroleum on the inside the good Lord would have made me a gas pump.

Tony uk
03-16-2008, 04:15 PM
My mom used kerosene and sugar for a cough. That doesn't mean I used it with my kids. Lordy! If man were meant to have petroleum on the inside the good Lord would have made me a gas pump.

And you would still overcharge !

AdventureDoc
03-17-2008, 08:29 AM
One method that I found effective (adventure racing trick) is to use a stick deoderant on my feet. I would take a stick of unscented right guard and rub all over my bare feet, in heavy amounts. I then used a thin sock liner and over that placed my usual sock.

The anti-perspirant helped reduce the amount of sweating my foot did, thus reducing the amount of slipping my sock did, equaling no blisters.

This was not perfect and I did get blisters, but this was after about 24-48 hours of movement.

I also have injected the popped blister with tincture of benzoin. The refilling of the blister with the solution was designed to keepthe flap of skin covering the hot spot. After a few hours, the benzoin would harden and stop being painful. After a few days, the blister would slough off and allow me to remove the green ball under the blister (tincture of benzoin).

I used this frequently looking after wildland firefighters feet and adventure racers. A insulin syringe works great for this.

crashdive123
03-17-2008, 08:36 AM
There's just something about injecting "stuff" into my body that causes a green ball to form that makes me wanna go blllleeeech!

dilligaf2u2
03-17-2008, 12:40 PM
Of the many forced marches I have the pleasure to endure. I always started with duct tape on my heels. Sox over them and my boots so tight, I could almost feels the blood being cut off.

One such march was over broken ground of just over 100 miles in 5 days. Of the 50 or so guys to start the march only 7 of us reached the end.

Don