PDA

View Full Version : AjustAbubble + Wooly + Spinner = great day on the river!

ElevenBravo
12-03-2012, 10:23 PM
So, for the time being I have put fly fishing on the back shelf... at least with a fly rod. Im too frustrated with my total lack of skill and timing.

However, I still wanted to fish flys. After some exhaustive research on the Enterweb, I scooted by my much loved Sportsmans Warehouse and picked up a large A-Just-A-Bubble.

So off to the Roanoke River I go full steam ahead! This is gonna be trick yo!

I get the bubble setup with about 5 feet of leader and 1/3 full of water, casted a bit into unknown water. The Wooly Bugger worked as intended but no strikes. Some sun fish swim past me though.

Again, I cast and reel, some tip twitching to give the Wolly some life. Something actually came up and hit on the bubble! HA HA! Alright... we got fish, and there hitting... lets keep going!

I cast a while longer.... I learned that fishing *IN* the water is way more fun and rewarding, so Im walking up stream IN THE RIVER just casting and retrieving, having a grand old time, FLY FISHING WITH A SPIN ROD!

No hits, so I get out of the water and walk up a half mile to what I remember should be a sweet hole... which it was!

I wade down into the river, water is chest high.... I pull back on the rod and zing my fly casting bubble to the other side of the river and wait for the drop wake to disperse. I start retrieving with a little periodic twitch of the rod tip and... STRIKE!

BOYA, FISH ON!

Pull it up and I found I just caught MY FIRST BASS!!

I am so stoked! I fished a while longer with no more hits so I pack it up and head home about 5:30pm.

Ill be back, my sweet honey hole! Ill be back....

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Rainbow-Plastics-A-Just-A-Bubble/productDetail/Bobbers/prod9999000967/cat101131

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolly_Bugger

This was thus far, my best ever fishing day! Its been two months since I caught a fish, and not for the lack of trying. Cant wait to try dry fly over some trout after they stock!

Andrew

CreekFisher
12-10-2012, 01:57 PM
I have used that method before, mainly on ponds and slow moving creeks. Its great for a bunch of fish in my area (blue gills, red eye bass, large mouth, etc) ... Best of Luck on those trout, keep me informed. might just have to try to catch on myself! lol

ElevenBravo
12-10-2012, 05:57 PM
Not sure if the trout will strike the bugger, maybe. I got some dry flies and some worm flies too... Im sure something I have they would be interested in. Now, if they will be interested on the same DAY that Im fishing them, now thats a different topic!! HA HA

Andrew

1stimestar
12-10-2012, 07:06 PM
cOOL. cONGRATULATIONS.

1stimestar
12-10-2012, 07:07 PM
Dang caps lock.

crashdive123
12-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Thought it might have been the scotch at -40.

LarryB
12-22-2012, 08:40 PM
Great recap of your day dude! Entertaining, informative and pretty funny too. :) Nice to see you've finally caught your first bass. I'm sort of assuming it was a small mouth bass, but did you Kodak it, being your first and all? :) lb