PDA

View Full Version : Pack Animals and Equipment

pgvoutdoors
12-01-2012, 01:07 AM
Here's a topic our friends from the western part of the U.S., or possibly overseas, might be able to help with; Pack Animals. Looking for some input from people that have experience in using horses and mules as pack animals. I have little experience with these animals as they are not used much in the eastern part of the U.S. I'm looking for information on the following subjects:

What breeds are best for carrying supplies?

How hard is it to train them?

Do you need to start training them when their young?

What equipment is required and where can it be purchased?

What kind of terrain do you need to avoid?

What are some of the problems with using them?

Any other information would be helpful, THANKS!

wareagle69
12-01-2012, 12:17 PM
well it again all depends..
we used mules in the grand canyon very sure footed critters, right now i use my standard bred for hauling logs. my love is for quarter horses, they are the best for me, but ask any horse enthusisast and you will get a dozen different answers
As for traing a horse, well i am retraining the mare STB cuz she is used to pulling a cart for ahrness racing (why she hauls logs good) but the gait for riding is a lateral 2 beat gait instead of a diagonal two beat gait, great for running and pulling not so great for trying to sit a seat on that. let me shplain in a trot a two beat lateral pattern is left front and right hind hoof hitting at the same time, in sync (natural) instead in a pacing trot his left front and left hind touch down together.
As for you i would say buy a trained horse then the both of you get trained to work together, other wise you will just confuse him and frusterate the both of you, a horse is a willing and eager to please animal (most days).
good luck

pete lynch
12-01-2012, 01:39 PM
Have you re-trained a trotter to pace before? If so, rep on the way.
I thought they were bred to either pace or trot? Which is easier, I wonder: make a trotter pace or make a pacer trot?
I'm no expert so I may be learning something here. :)

wareagle69
12-01-2012, 04:48 PM
naw mate, i ain't that good, i just put stuff in one end, clean up what comes out the other and try not to fall off. Now if my boy twosox5 would come back around, now thats a horseman

Seniorman
12-01-2012, 04:51 PM
I've packed and led horses and mules several times, in the Sierra, and in the Rocky Mountains. I also attended a week long "pack" school given by Bob Tanner, Red's Meadow Pack Station, in the northern Sierra of Calif. I'm still in "grade school" when it comes to packin' critters.

Unless you own horses and mules and work with them consistently, it is extremely difficult to learn the subject. The best way I know of is to attend a western pack school for a summer, and then work for an outfitter for the Fall hunting season. You still won't be an "expert," but you'll certainly know some of the "ends-and-outs" of packing on horses and mules.

I suggest you buy a copy of "Horses, Hitches, and Rocky Trails, The Packers Bible," by Joe Back, ©1959, and "Packin' In On Mules and Horses," by Smoke Elser & Bill Brown, Mountain Press Publishing, © 1980. Both are written by men who have been "packin'" for many, many years in the Rocky Mountains, and not only are very informative, but very interesting.

By the way, don't forget that old saying, "A horse will kill you by accident; a mule will kill you on purpose. Mules are smarter than horses." ;)

Good luck.

S.M.

wareagle69
12-01-2012, 05:05 PM
bob tanner now why does that name sound familiar to me?
phil- hocking tech in nelsonville just outside of lancaster used to offer a backcountry horsemanship program, back in 93/94 when i went there, maybe they still do, might have some info for ya in your area

Tootsiepop254
12-01-2012, 05:15 PM
Best pack animals: mules. Hands down. Yes, its best to start working with them when young. They are very intelligent and can be quite stubborn. Terrain to avoid - sharp rocks, unless you have the knowledge to keep them properly shod. What do you need to carry? If you have minimal equine experience, you might be best to stick with using a dog - you can rig a cart or a pack, a meduim sized dog can even pull a cart with a grown human in it. A 1000 lb animal needs much more resources and care than a 150 lb animal does - plus the dog doubles as protection and a hunting partner. I am currently working with my two to get them cart ready.

Wareagle - I love pacers - SO much smoother than a trot!
~T

pgvoutdoors
12-03-2012, 01:15 PM
I'm looking to have the pack animals carry camping equipment and food supplies. The largest items would be some nylon wall tents, a few soft-side coolers, and a couple Dutch ovens, the rest of the gear is smaller stuff.

What kind of pack equipment do I need for the animals? I'm sure I'll have to order it, any recommendations?

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

Tootsiepop254
12-03-2012, 01:31 PM
http://www.highcountrysupply.com/ We used to use them. Well, most of the stuff my family just 'rigged'.

Wildthang
12-03-2012, 02:19 PM
How do you get a mule to jump a fence?

Seniorman
12-03-2012, 03:36 PM
I'm looking to have the pack animals carry camping equipment and food supplies. The largest items would be some nylon wall tents, a few soft-side coolers, and a couple Dutch ovens, the rest of the gear is smaller stuff.

What kind of pack equipment do I need for the animals? I'm sure I'll have to order it, any recommendations?

PVG, I strongly suggest you order and study this video before you buy any pack equipment. You might order stuff you don't need, or is wrong for your animals, situation, or location.

http://www.highcountrysupply.com/Products-Training_Aids.html

S.M.

Tootsiepop254
12-03-2012, 04:22 PM
Wildthang its simple - you ask, nicely. Or tell him he can't. Mules HATE being told they can't do something.

Tootsiepop254
12-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Don't forget, in your packing considerations - not only will you be packing your equipment, but food for your pack animal as well.

JPGreco
12-03-2012, 10:22 PM
Have you re-trained a trotter to pace before? If so, rep on the way.
I thought they were bred to either pace or trot? Which is easier, I wonder: make a trotter pace or make a pacer trot?
I'm no expert so I may be learning something here. :)

This post just made me think of seinfeld
"He's a mudder
His mother was a mudder. His father was a mudder."