PDA

View Full Version : who practices what they preach

wareagle69
03-12-2008, 11:07 AM
i know we all practice at some level WILDERNESS survival skills but who practices shtf scenarios like sometimes i pretend that dq is out of icecream no seriuosly if most folks here are trying to be more self suffiecent do you ever say ok in april no eating out lets live off our supplies 100% or practice no electricty for a week(other than being here) gotta prioritze what do you do to prepare as we all know you find out things when you practice and maybe learn easier ways or say that didn't work for ****

so learn me sumn here kidddies

always be prepared..

Sourdough
03-12-2008, 11:17 AM
I do, but not on purpose, I run out of normal food and have to eat Wheaties and water, or sardines and pilot bread for weeks, till my self in posed ban on going to the city is lifted.

Beo
03-12-2008, 11:28 AM
Well the SHTF for me the other night, went to McDonalds and they said "Sorry sir, we're out of hamburger patties" I mean wtf people! A hamburger place running out of that, made me drive across the street to Burger King, although I did get a really cool paper crown with my kids meal.

wildWoman
03-12-2008, 11:35 AM
We're not into the WSHTF thing but because of where we are (seperated from the closest town by 2 lakes and a river), we do live exclusively off our supplies for about 4 months or more of the year. Haven't found ourselves without a vital item yet although one winter there was a scary moment when we couldn't find the salt!
Only suggestion I'd make to people wanting to subsist for any length of time on their supplies is to have plenty of variety on hand. If your only choice of veggies for dinner is between canned beans and canned peas, it's not so bad for a couple of weeks but after a couple of months it's one of the little things that drives you up the wall.

wareagle69
03-12-2008, 11:39 AM
i always figured you for the king of the whoppers

wild woman great point just cuz i like puritan beef stew i know i would grow tied of it everyday but also hard to resist stocking up when it's on sale for .79 cents a can

Beo
03-12-2008, 11:42 AM
I got your whopper

wareagle69
03-12-2008, 11:51 AM
see all i heard was blah blah blah

Beo
03-12-2008, 11:58 AM
and blah blah blah blah too.

wareagle69
03-12-2008, 12:12 PM
i find your mocking me offensive... oopps what wrong thread ya wann step outside mr eh take it over to the sensitve thread.... if thats ok with you..

Beo
03-12-2008, 12:16 PM
So sorry, did not mean to offend:D

wareagle69
03-12-2008, 12:23 PM
well i supposi'll forgive you but i'm no doormat.

Beo
03-12-2008, 01:55 PM
I try, this weekend its supposed to be nice out... in the 50s with lite rain so they say and that's good enough for trekking and camping, first time in 08 for me and Trooper. Taking the new flinter and breaking it in. Leae friday at 4pm and come home Sunday arond 8pm. Nice little get away, be covering about 50 to 60 miles in all and eating fresh squirrel. Gears all ready and I can't wait.

wareagle69
03-12-2008, 03:17 PM
sounds like perfect hypothermia wheather how do you plan on preventing this..

Beo
03-12-2008, 03:21 PM
You never camped in 50 degree weather, with rain.

wareagle69
03-12-2008, 03:32 PM
yes but i am asking you what your plan is i know what my plan would be remember i spent a few years in ohio my self in nelsonville(home of the rocky boot got mine off the conveyer) also in wooster and akron and pepperpike(cleveland) just wondering how you teach your son

Beo
03-12-2008, 03:38 PM
We go as we always do, put on a few layers of clothing but not to much, keep a spare set with us in the haversack, inside the diamond shelter we pile the leaves about 3 inches deep and place the sleeping tarp over it, use a wool blanket each, along with a warm fire its not all that bad. No different than any other time we go and it starts to rain, may not they just said chance of lite rain. Diamond shelter entrance faces south, I mean what more do you want?

Beo
03-12-2008, 03:38 PM
Hey... why the hell am I explaining myself to you?

wareagle69
03-12-2008, 03:44 PM
well this IS a wilderness survival forum i know we forget that sometimes but for some people lets say if vylli grnili was looking at this site what you posted might have just saved his life so thats why i ask so as to help the unexperienced that show up here but hey why the hell am i explaining myself to you..

Beo
03-12-2008, 03:47 PM
lol... oh yeah forgot... lol... basically we carry the same gear all year round except in the summer and early fall no blankets, this weekend we'll avoid getting as wet as possible when crossing the streams but wearing moc's usually always happens that we get wet feet, so after setting camp up we hang them just off the fire to dry and throw on a spare set.

wareagle69
03-12-2008, 03:49 PM
thank you for the lesson wd40

Beo
03-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Stop calling me wd40...

MCBushbaby
03-12-2008, 04:22 PM
As a poor, penny-counting college grad I'm frequently saying "no more buying food until every last remnant is gone from the freezer!" or "no more electricity! I have three dozen candles from who knows where... I'm using them for lighting!"

As a outdoor enthusiast, I've already practiced a half-dozen "lost in the woods" scenarios with minimal equipment (knife, canteen, flint), two of which were in the dead of winter (I cheated and carried a wool army blanket with me, sh1t gets cold!). I also practice minimalism on trips when I'm not 'surviving'. Although I have yet to accomplish my dream of hiking across the keweenaw peninsula (~40km of no-trail cedar swamp and pine forest) with just a knife, canteen and flint, I am certainly not one who watches Man vs. Wild and thinks he can do anything.

wareagle69
03-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Stop calling me wd40...

rotflmao damn thats funny wondered when you'd react to that can barely type i'm laughing so hard

Beo
03-12-2008, 04:36 PM
Glad you had a laugh bro,

Beo
03-12-2008, 04:37 PM
Mitch good to see you back.

MCBushbaby
03-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Mitch good to see you back.

Glad to be back

trax
03-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Gawwwd, I'm laughing here. Took me reading two postings to figure out who WE was calling wd40 and I've been waiting for him to say something. What a wussie.

I really don't feel a particular need to practice some of the things mentioned here, except for teaching it to a kid. I've lived in enough bare essentials scenarios that I know that I know what to do. And I get out there and live the life in the bush every chance I get. Think I have to take some kids fishing this weekend. I should probably check into that....

Beo
03-12-2008, 05:13 PM
Wussie, I was trying to figure out if it was some play on words or what... ahhh never mind. Where's RRRRRRRRRRRick the twinkie surfer boy? Only been here once to ask me about being Ghost Rider.

wareagle69
03-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Stop calling me wd40...

everytime i scroll to the top of the page i crack up almost as funny as twinkie yelling enough at bragg and palerider

crashdive123
03-13-2008, 06:30 AM
i know we all practice at some level WILDERNESS survival skills but who practices shtf scenarios like sometimes i pretend that dq is out of icecream no seriuosly if most folks here are trying to be more self suffiecent do you ever say ok in april no eating out lets live off our supplies 100% or practice no electricty for a week(other than being here) gotta prioritze what do you do to prepare as we all know you find out things when you practice and maybe learn easier ways or say that didn't work for ****

always be prepared..

Yes. Sort of. Make sure generators are in working condition. Rotate fuel supply. Rotate food stores. Rotate all consumbables. All of my storm preparations have been made and safely stored. I use the gear that I will need to depend on. I practice the skills that I think I am weakest on.

bulrush
03-13-2008, 03:50 PM
For long term survival, have at least 5-10 spices to liven up your food or else you'll go absolutly nuts.

But about camping in the rain in 50F weather, I did it in 40F weather. I even took a rain suit. As soon as I bent over to get something, my darn pants got a rip 24 inches long in them. It was quite an old rain suit, and I was a bit smaller back then. Man, that was a cold weekend.

GVan
03-15-2008, 12:05 AM
Wareagle,

Only corpses can truly say that they practice what they preach.:)

MedicineWolf
03-15-2008, 12:37 AM
Beo, your easy to mock:D
I live what I say I do, its my job and way of life so its a little different for me.

joe_
04-10-2008, 01:39 PM
I don't eat out at all unless its a social gathering I must attend, even then I try to eat before hand and say I already ate. I am in Chicago and get most of my rations and food from a local shop in china town. I am anarchist/minimalist though...

Tahyo
04-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Joe, we're damn near neighbors. I'm up in Grayslake (Lake County)

Arkansas_Ranger
04-20-2008, 06:50 PM

always be prepared..

No, I don't do things like that. I mostly only care about survival in extreme situations (which never manifest fortunately), and getting lost in the woods, etc. I don't practice. I just anticipate and sometimes run things over in my head when I'm bored, driving around, etc.

Rick
04-20-2008, 09:44 PM
Whether you are concerned about EOTWAWNI scenarios or some natural or man made emergency if you don't PRACTICE your plan then you won't know if it works or not until it's too late.

For example, when the county sheriff is at the door telling you that you have to evacuate because of a wildfile it's a little late to try and gather up the stuff you need to take. Having a bugout bag already prepared is something you can toss in the car and go to the woods or a hotel for one night and see what you forgot. It would be a whole lot better to find out in a dry run that you forgot your medicine than to find out when you're sitting in a Red Cross shelter.

You can not expect your evacuation (whatever the reason) to go smoothly or to include everything (or only that) which is necessary if you never practice. Until you practice your plan, it's all theoretical and you are just hoping for the best.

Alpine_Sapper
04-20-2008, 09:53 PM
For example, when the county sheriff is at the door telling you that you have to evacuate because of a wildfile it's a little late to try and gather up the stuff you need to take

I'm not scared of a wildfile...I can just shut down the computer. :rolleyes::D

Rick
04-20-2008, 09:57 PM
Well, you get the picture. Replace it with hurricane, tornado, meth lab, incoming missiles, stores out of bacon. Insert what ever terror your heart desires.

crashdive123
04-20-2008, 09:58 PM
I think he may be scared of wildFIRES but the wildfiles ......I know, I know - picky, picky.

Arkansas_Ranger
04-20-2008, 10:11 PM
Whether you are concerned about EOTWAWNI scenarios or some natural or man made emergency if you don't PRACTICE your plan then you won't know if it works or not until it's too late.

For example, when the county sheriff is at the door telling you that you have to evacuate because of a wildfile it's a little late to try and gather up the stuff you need to take. Having a bugout bag already prepared is something you can toss in the car and go to the woods or a hotel for one night and see what you forgot. It would be a whole lot better to find out in a dry run that you forgot your medicine than to find out when you're sitting in a Red Cross shelter.

You can not expect your evacuation (whatever the reason) to go smoothly or to include everything (or only that) which is necessary if you never practice. Until you practice your plan, it's all theoretical and you are just hoping for the best.

What the heck is this "EOTWAWNI" anyway?

Alpine_Sapper
04-20-2008, 10:23 PM
What the heck is this "EOTWAWNI" anyway?

End Of the World As We K(N)ow It

Arkansas_Ranger
04-20-2008, 10:37 PM
Ahhhh. Y2K lol.

Alpine_Sapper
04-20-2008, 10:42 PM
Ahhhh. Y2K lol.

Whatever scenario your imagination can create, honestly.

Most recent?

Katrina.

For the people in New Orleans, it was definitely the end of the world "as they knew it".

Some people plan for hurricanes, some for earthquakes, some for nuclear war, some for a Russian invasion (watched Red Dawn to many times), some for economic meltdown, some for terrorist acts, and some for zombie attacks.

Some people just like to be prepared for whatever situation happens to come along.

Arkansas_Ranger
04-20-2008, 10:48 PM
I was just kidding about Y2K. I also like to be prepared, and I think I am. Fortunately, I'm in good health, and trained and experienced in police, fire, and EMS - type operations so mentally I think I'm good to go. I enjoy a good crisis. Physically, I'm healthy and conditioned so I don't need a lot like medicines, prescription lenses, dentures (haha), etc. Mostly, I just want clean water and toilet paper. lol