PDA

View Full Version : Looking to livein wilderness

Nickmarch
11-29-2012, 10:58 PM
Well first off im new, 2 minutes new to be exact haha, so if i put this in the wrong section my apologies.

I am looking to live in a remote wilderness area away from major civilization. I would ideally like to build a log cabin over time and then move into it and live in the wilderness for a while. Id like to be away from society to the point i do not use electricty and gather my own matierals and food.

I would like to know where in the USA i can do this as legally as possible ( i have heard it is not really legal since everythin is owned by the government or privatly) and the best areas/states etc to do this would be.

Also i would like to know any tips i should know about doing this that am average person might not know.

Thank you all to who help me

Sarge47
11-29-2012, 11:10 PM
Who are you, age, marital status, geographic location? We get a couple of these a week and most don't care for the answers they get back, so good luck with that! :cool2:

LowKey
11-29-2012, 11:13 PM
Legally? Buy some land with trees. Pay taxes on it like every one else. Have at it.
Might want to check into building permits and inspection requirements on that cabin.
Check local hunting seasons and licensing if you intend to 'live off' that land.
You can't legally set up housekeeping on land that is not yours.

Nickmarch
11-29-2012, 11:29 PM
Thanks lowkey, i figured it wouldnt be allowed to just show up in the wildernees and start buuildin but thought id ask anyway.

As for my age im just about 18 still in highschool and living in new jersey. Now before you stay anything about any of that, i plan on going to college that way i can expand my education for later years. Since im stil in highschool i can go to colleges pretty much anywhere which is why im asking now so i dont have to move arou afterwards. And as for a ny kind of debts or anything along the lines, ignore that.
So really im just getting an idea, because i have wanted to do this for a few years now, and most likely wouldnt live that way forever but i would greatly enjoy it and if not that, at least give me some good times to think bak about and relate too.

But thanks all for helping thus far

Sarge47
11-29-2012, 11:33 PM
Here's another problem that has recently cropped up over the years. Many Meth labs have sprung up out in the wilderness complicating the idea of living off of the grid with both DEA raids and Drug dealers causing problems. If you don't mind the cold you might check out Alaska. Maybe Sourdough can help you. :1:

Nickmarch
11-29-2012, 11:38 PM
Honestly i was considering alaska, but i have never been so far north and would have no idea on weather there, but i can always look into it. As for those labs, thats a damn shame and some what makes me weary and itll probably only
Get worse but who knows.. But so far im getting tha Alaska or buying my own area are my best options.. So thank you guys for helping me

LowKey
11-29-2012, 11:42 PM
You could go the homestead route. You really can't live off the land (unless you have a lot of it) without supplementing your food supply with grown crops and somehow supplementing your income for things you need to pay for.
Have you thought about doing something like this:
farmschool.org

crashdive123
11-29-2012, 11:46 PM
Since you plan on going to college - what are you planning on studying?

Nickmarch
11-29-2012, 11:47 PM
Yea i had a gut feeling it would be more like that and i have worked at a farm for some years now so i have some expierence there but will definitely check out that site... Butim still looking for nice areas i could do something along these broad lines, because i know there is no way in heck i can or am swilling to do this ion new jersey haha, thanks again guys

I plan on studying either something in enviromental science or criminal justice ( cj to become a ranger lol)

deafdave3
11-29-2012, 11:56 PM
I live deep out in the wilderness now, but not so far to the point where I don't have electricity. The nearest town is a forty minute drive.

You are very young. Trust me, you will be better off very close to civilization for now. You'll want a woman. You both will want kids. With kids, they'll need a good school and social development. Both of those are easily satisfied in the city.

You say you live in New Jersey. LEAVE NOW!!! Go west, young man. Enjoy school in one of the wide open western states and spend time and breaks on one of the plentiful government lands out there.

Best of luck!

Strider#23
11-30-2012, 12:01 AM
Become a game warden man. You can carry a weapon, be outdoors working with nature and animals most of the time, and you'll know whats legal or not

Nickmarch
11-30-2012, 12:02 AM
Deafdan, that actually sounds really nice, being out but still driveable distance to a town swhih i guess would be really thee most ideal situation, i see you are from texas, and as far as im aware of there arent many forrests there (i could ne wrong im not 100%) but i have been told by others montana is good placen for a woody wildeness, can anyone back this up or have different opinions?

Also my grandpa lives in tennesse right on the edge on the smoky mountains, is that an okay place?

Sorry im asking a lot, just extreamly curious about this!

Sarge47
11-30-2012, 12:06 AM
Also my grandpa lives in tennesse right on the edge on the smoky mountains, is that an okay place?

As opposed to what? I'll tell you right now that if I had ANY relation living where your Gramps does I'd be packing the car and phoning them to say I'm moving in! :w00t:

deafdave3
11-30-2012, 12:09 AM
Deafdan, that actually sounds really nice, being out but still driveable distance to a town swhih i guess would be really thee most ideal situation, i see you are from texas, and as far as im aware of there arent many forrests there (i could ne wrong im not 100%) but i have been told by others montana is good placen for a woody wildeness, can anyone back this up or have different opinions?

First.... don't be afraid to ask questions... one of the reasons I love this forum is because everyone answers my many questions with respect.

I was born and raised in south Louisiana, very, very close to the Atchafalaya Basin. I now live in Rye, Texas. Its nestled between Big Thicket National Preserve and Sam Houston National Forest. Look up those two and you'll see there's some vast woody wilderness in east Texas.

crashdive123
11-30-2012, 12:10 AM
Yea i had a gut feeling it would be more like that and i have worked at a farm for some years now so i have some expierence there but will definitely check out that site... Butim still looking for nice areas i could do something along these broad lines, because i know there is no way in heck i can or am swilling to do this ion new jersey haha, thanks again guys

I plan on studying either something in enviromental science or criminal justice ( cj to become a ranger lol)

The reason I asked - You should study something that you are passionate about and that will help you achieve your goals. Plan out where you want to be in a year, three years, 5, 10 and then take the necessary steps to get there. If it is really your goal to live remotely, will a criminal justice degree help? Maybe it will if you go into something like being in law enforcement in a remote area, but that's where your planning should come in.

There are all kinds of classes being offered at colleges (gotta pick the right college) that might further your goals - or at least give you some needed tools - to remote living.

Here is a very realistic, and sobering look at remote living. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?8382-Wilderness-Living-How-It-Really-Works

I seriously wish you luck. You may feel like some here (me included) are trying to steer you away from your dreams at times, when what we really want is for you to be successful.

Nickmarch
11-30-2012, 12:11 AM
Sheesh well that makes me feel good, so thatll probably be my forst option then.. Thank you guys so much, and if you have any other tid bits pr opinions just tell me!
As for game wardens, i thought they were in california only?

Wow you guys are great, responding with great and gast comments, i can barely keep up! But i was prepared that my "dream" way would most likely be un achievable but i said it to give you an idea of what i wanted and build of that. As for careers i agree with tou completely on that, and i definitel meed to think about that more

deafdave3
11-30-2012, 12:12 AM
Sheesh well that makes me feel good, so thatll probably be my forst option then.. Thank you guys so much, and if you have any other tid bits pr opinions just tell me!
As for game wardens, i thought they were in california only?

There's state game wardens in every state and federal game wardens.

1stimestar
11-30-2012, 02:44 AM
Check out the University of Alaska, Fairbanks. It's a world renowned school for several science degrees. It's also a research school. Environmental Science is what they specialize in. You can also learn more about the area and how to "live off the land" by living here.

cowgirlup
11-30-2012, 09:03 AM
As for my age im just about 18 still in highschool and living in new jersey. Now before you stay anything about any of that, i plan on going to college that way i can expand my education for later years. Since im stil in highschool i can go to colleges pretty much anywhere which is why im asking now so i dont have to move arou afterwards. And as for a ny kind of debts or anything along the lines, ignore that.
So really im just getting an idea, because i have wanted to do this for a few years now, and most likely wouldnt live that way forever but i would greatly enjoy it and if not that, at least give me some good times to think bak about and relate too.

Well, good. You're planning for the next few years and not one of those people who are just fed up with life and want to head out to the woods next week and live off the land.

As mentioned take classes that will help with your goals. Have you ever been camping or hiking for more than a little day trip? How much time have you spent totally alone? do a search and try to take some wilderness skills classes. Don't get into debt and save as much money as you can. Debt is a dream killer.

BENESSE
11-30-2012, 09:24 AM
1stimestar in post #18 offered you great suggestion.
If you can get yourself in, Univ. of Alaska is a terrific school and an ideal option for you. You'll be getting a great education while living in a place that you're interested in anyway. Imagine all you could do and connections you'll make while preparing for the kind of future you can get excited about!
That would truly be living your dream instead of just daydreaming.

GreatUsername
11-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Also, if you don't want to go QUITE so hardcore as following your dreams in Alaska, due to the vastness, the coldness, the disproportionately low number of women in rural areas, or the bear danger, you might also consider Washington state, and University of Washington. I'm currently having a wonderful time here, and I've been pleased with the availability and variety of climates and wilderness here. I know that it is very popular to find a plot of land out in Eastern WA, miles from anyone else, and farm the good soil there. If I'm not mistaken, we have another forum member here who might be able to tell you what it's like out there.

As for your age, I know where you're coming from, I wanted to Grizzly Adams it too, when I was late in highschool. Don't let these old-timers get you down. Just make sure you consider what it is about the wilderness that you like. I'd recommend you read the sticky at the top of this forum, (or linked in post #15) the one about how hard real life homesteading is, and determine if it is that kind of hard labor and dedication you seek, or if you simply seek the environment of the outdoors.

I realize that for me personally, I would like to have a cabin, and I want to through-hike some of the longest and most amazing trails in the USA, but I personally don't care for the amount of physical labor required to homestead off the grid long term. If that is what makes you happiest though, go for it! I'm sure you'll have an adventure, even if it turns out to not be your thing in the long run.

crashdive123
11-30-2012, 01:42 PM
...you might also consider Washington state, and University of Washington. I'm currently having a wonderful time here, and I've been pleased with the availability and variety of climates and wilderness here. I know that it is very popular to find a plot of land out in Eastern WA, miles from anyone else, and farm the good soil there. If I'm not mistaken, we have another forum member here who might be able to tell you what it's like out there,,,.

I lived there for a number of years, and while there is fantastic hiking and camping opportunities in Washington I can assure you that State and Federal officials don't allow squatters nor to the locals that own large tracts of land.

hunter63
11-30-2012, 02:40 PM
Can't offer much more, as the suggestions are all good ones so far....

Start slow, learn, ask specific questions, and good luck.

Sarge47
11-30-2012, 05:47 PM
Since you're still in school, I'm going to offer another idea. The late Colin Fletcher was a lot like many of us here, he didn't like to live around people. So he became a writer and the grand father of backpacking. Read his book: "The Man Who Walked Through Time," where he backpacked through the Grand Canyon, from one end to the other. He's also wrote some great resource books for those who would do as he has done titled: "The Complete Walker." #IV is the latest updated version. You should start out in the Wilderness one step at a time to see how it fits you and where. As I said, just an idea. :detective:

Nickmarch
11-30-2012, 07:47 PM
Man you guys are more helpful then my guidance councelor, thanks so much!

I'll have to check out WA ive never really thought about it but if why that guy saod is true about not being aloud to build there or whatever, thatll not be cool.. For debt im going to my local county college to save money and working two jobs so hopefully i wont need to worty about going into debt, im pretty good at managing my money. As for camping/hiking i havent really done a whole lot of "real camping" meaning tent in the woods but i plan on doing that once it starts getting warmer out here in NJ. I will definitly try and learn the basic loe survival skills i would need before even beginning my expedition into the wild from my cowoler who is big on that kind of stuff, so we will see where that lands me

I will be sure to check out those books, they sound very interesting!

Thanks again all for helpin me out

deafdave3
11-30-2012, 08:05 PM
......once it starts getting warmer out here in NJ.....

Let me say something about New Jersey, if you don't mind. I apologize if I offend anyone.

The reason NJ is so hot is because all that hot air comes out of my idiotic brother's mouth. He really is a far-fetched Democratic moron. Please go to Monmouth University and give him a good slap in the face for me.

New Jersey is a very democratic state. They are very, very anti-gun and have strict gun laws. If you don't care much for firearms, then the reason it bothers me about New Jersey is because I am very pro-2nd Amendment.

I am unsure, but I was under the impression that New Jersey is a very urban state, with very little wilderness to enjoy.

I envy you, Nick. I wish I was 18 again. I'd find the woman I have now, be more careful with my finances, go to Colorado State (and actually finish), and enjoy the tremendous wild out there.

Good luck and enjoy it.

Nickmarch
11-30-2012, 08:15 PM
deafdave, thats is pretty funny haha, but i do agree with it being a very democratic state. not granted im not 18 yet so i do not follow politics as much as i should be, but i do know new jersey is extremely strict about guns which is annoying. luckly my grandpa has given me a lot of his own and he has kept them in great condition so as long as i do the same, they should last me a while.

There are not a whole lot of places to go camping, the best places i have found are the pinelands and worthington state forest, now they arent what i would consider "wilderness camping" but its the best new jersey has to offer haha, but this summer my friends and i are going to virginia for a week to camp so hopefully thatll work out.

deafdave3
11-30-2012, 08:24 PM
deafdave, thats is pretty funny haha, but i do agree with it being a very democratic state. not granted im not 18 yet so i do not follow politics as much as i should be, but i do know new jersey is extremely strict about guns which is annoying. luckly my grandpa has given me a lot of his own and he has kept them in great condition so as long as i do the same, they should last me a while.

There are not a whole lot of places to go camping, the best places i have found are the pinelands and worthington state forest, now they arent what i would consider "wilderness camping" but its the best new jersey has to offer haha, but this summer my friends and i are going to virginia for a week to camp so hopefully thatll work out.

Off-topic... I don't know about other states, but in Louisiana it is legal for a 17 year old to open carry a firearm. Now, whether that's smart or not, I don't know, but it is legal.

Nickmarch
11-30-2012, 08:26 PM
Off-topic... I don't know about other states, but in Louisiana it is legal for a 17 year old to open carry a firearm. Now, whether that's smart or not, I don't know, but it is legal.

i say as long as they know how to use it properly and are not a fool with it, why not, it is a constitutional right. but that is just my opinion and i mean to start no quarrels with anyone.

deafdave3
11-30-2012, 08:32 PM
i say as long as they know how to use it properly and are not a fool with it, why not, it is a constitutional right. but that is just my opinion and i mean to start no quarrels with anyone.

You're right on all counts, but a lot of people don't know that its legal and tend to panic when they see a kid or young man (or woman) with a gun, holstered. They'll even call 911 and report "man with a gun". Then some cops will come and harass you for carrying a gun. Lots of LEOs, especially in this stupid State of Louisiana and especially in small towns, don't know all the laws.

My 16 year old daughter, who is extremely beautiful and very outgoing, wants to carry a gun (Bersa .380) openly when she turns 17, but in public places like the mall or Wally World. I didn't forbid her, but I did advise against it and explained why.

crashdive123
11-30-2012, 08:44 PM
Guys - politics is verboten here.

Growing up I spent a lot of time in the pine barrens of New Jersey.

Nickmarch
11-30-2012, 08:47 PM
You're right on all counts, but a lot of people don't know that its legal and tend to panic when they see a kid or young man (or woman) with a gun, holstered. They'll even call 911 and report "man with a gun". Then some cops will come and harass you for carrying a gun. Lots of LEOs, especially in this stupid State of Louisiana and especially in small towns, don't know all the laws.

My 16 year old daughter, who is extremely beautiful and very outgoing, wants to carry a gun (Bersa .380) openly when she turns 17, but in public places like the mall or Wally World. I didn't forbid her, but I did advise against it and explained why.

could not agree more, i mean i get the cops called on me whenever i paintball or airsoft. i can understand your daughter wanting to carry around a gun for protection, but in a mall, i find that some what suspicious but then again i am not even used to seeing guns in public unless im hunting

deafdave3
11-30-2012, 08:52 PM
Guys - politics is verboten here......

Hang on... let me get my dictionary.

deafdave3
11-30-2012, 08:54 PM
Guys - politics is verboten here.......

Hang on... let me get my dictionary.

Aw, crap, man!!! My first violation here. I was hoping to keep a perfect record since this is now my favorite forum. In any case, I sincerely apologize.

crashdive123
11-30-2012, 08:54 PM
could not agree more, i mean i get the cops called on me whenever i paintball or airsoft. i can understand your daughter wanting to carry around a gun for protection, but in a mall, i find that some what suspicious but then again i am not even used to seeing guns in public unless im hunting

I will not enter a mall unless I have a firearm with me.

deafdave3
11-30-2012, 09:19 PM
I will not enter a mall unless I have a firearm with me.

Same here.

But my closest encounter happened in a Wal-Mart parking lot.

Nickmarch
11-30-2012, 10:05 PM
I mean if the gun gives you the sense o protection and you are not stupid with it, why not, if i felt the need to and was aloud too, i would as well! But all the malls i go to are fairly secure with good security which generally is good enough for me, but for you the situation might be different. Im not trying to bust on you guys or anything i was just offering my opinion based souly on my perspective.

Any who, i have decided instead of going really far west i would go to tennesse or north carolina. Now i know there arent too many areas there that are bery wildernessy( i think ) but i figure thats the best of both worlds for me, fairly close to a city while still being anle to be relativly isolated if i get some nice land and still be able to drive to my current house in a days worth of driving.
Still curious to see if there are better areas to live that are similar to isolated while
There being decent civilization not to far that is closer to the eastosh coast. My mom is trying to telle viriginia is good but all the towns i have been too there were always .. Trashy.. Which i am mot really looking for, but i have visited nc and tn and enjoyed the areas i was in which is why i picked those two..
Now this may not be final decision but it is what i plan on doing as of now.
So thank you to everyone that posted iny thread amd informed me about a lot of things i was not currently aware of at the time.

Tl;dr : any places on the eastern side of USA that can be isolated with good civilization near by? I was thinking NC or TN?

Thanks!

kyratshooter
12-01-2012, 01:45 AM
No wilderness in TN, NC, KY or VA. They do have building codes and such to keep isolated cabins and wilderness living under close supervision. I am pretty sure KY also has a bat $h!% crazy law.

Try Alabama or Georgia.

Good luck with that!

Sarge47
12-01-2012, 10:54 AM
Let me say something about New Jersey, if you don't mind. I apologize if I offend anyone.

The reason NJ is so hot is because all that hot air comes out of my idiotic brother's mouth. He really is a far-fetched Democratic moron. Please go to Monmouth University and give him a good slap in the face for me.

New Jersey is a very democratic state. They are very, very anti-gun and have strict gun laws. If you don't care much for firearms, then the reason it bothers me about New Jersey is because I am very pro-2nd Amendment.

I am unsure, but I was under the impression that New Jersey is a very urban state, with very little wilderness to enjoy.

I envy you, Nick. I wish I was 18 again. I'd find the woman I have now, be more careful with my finances, go to Colorado State (and actually finish), and enjoy the tremendous wild out there.

Good luck and enjoy it.There are only two states in the US that require all gun owners to carry a Firearms Identification Card(FOID) for buying guns and ammo. Illinois & New Jersey! The rest of your story is also a twin to Illinois, except for the fact that your brother doesn't live here! :whistling:

crashdive123
12-01-2012, 12:47 PM
There are only two states in the US that require all gun owners to carry a Firearms Identification Card(FOID) for buying guns and ammo. Illinois & New Jersey! The rest of your story is also a twin to Illinois, except for the fact that your brother doesn't live here! :whistling:

One of the contributing factors of why I am FROM New Jersey.

Power Giant
12-01-2012, 02:04 PM
Guys - politics is verboten here.

Growing up I spent a lot of time in the pine barrens of New Jersey.

In regards to the Pine Barrens: Maybe the OP should read the Tom Brown book "The Tracker". It may give him some new insight to his own region.
This is something that he can do right now, and I think that it would be helpful to him. Regardless what some may think about Brown, the book is interesting reading.

deafdave3
12-01-2012, 05:11 PM
except for the fact that your brother doesn't live here!

If he did, I would ask YOU go to slap him for me!!!

frmr_cityguy1983
01-04-2013, 05:24 AM
I'm another Noob. I'll probably have to wait until my son is out of high school before I can make my great escape, but I can start working on getting things set up for that oh so glorious day! I've heard Alaska and Montana, and I am sure it has nothing to do with the fact that they were both featured on Mountain Men :-D

Power Giant
01-05-2013, 01:20 PM
Whatever you do, do it legally. Don't squat on public (or private for that matter) land.