PDA

View Full Version : Bug Our Gear

sdstrick
11-28-2012, 11:58 PM
What are the best videos on bug out bags and equipment?

Rick
11-29-2012, 10:44 AM
You might want to define why you are bugging out and where you are bugging out to. That will dictate your bag and equipment at least to a large degree. My guess is when I bug out due to a storm and I plan to hit a hotel or family my gear is a bit different than someone that thinks they need to live in the woods.

BornthatWay
11-29-2012, 11:59 AM
Exactly as Rick said. Now if you are thinking of buggin out in the woods pack your BOB and then do a camping trip with it to see if it is right for you. You will find that what yuo think you need and what you actually need are sometimes a little different.

hunter63
11-29-2012, 12:13 PM
Welcome to the forum......But not knowing your location makes it tough to guss your need.

Be aware that weather, location, reason for a Bugging Out, will dictate what is gonna be needed.....

jfeatherjohn
11-29-2012, 03:54 PM
Or just buy a full size pickup and throw everything that you can think of in it.
It has worked well for me.

crashdive123
11-29-2012, 04:16 PM
I've removed your links. While you are asking a very vague question, it seems that the hyperlink you provided was to a school. Kind of spammy don't you think? Yes that school does have videos, but why not just post the particular video that you were referring to rather than a link to the school? I've sent you a PM - please respond to it.

ElevenBravo
11-29-2012, 05:02 PM
What is this "bugging out" thing, and why is everyone that subscribes ask about it? Does it have anything to do with wilderness survival.... like how to stay warm in the winter and how to catch fish? Dohno.....

crashdive123
11-29-2012, 05:44 PM
What is this "bugging out" thing, and why is everyone that subscribes ask about it? Does it have anything to do with wilderness survival.... like how to stay warm in the winter and how to catch fish? Dohno.....

It has the potential to have a great deal to do with wilderness survival. Take for instance the member that lives in a fairly remote area of Alaska where wild fires are high on his threat list. If he bugs out, there isn't a Motel 6 around the corner.

kyratshooter
11-29-2012, 06:48 PM

11B there is a large segment of the prepper population that has a ninja-boyscout gene and intends to take to the woods with backpack and black rifle when the "ballon goes up".

The "baloon going up" is a secret signal, so secret that no one has any idea what constitutes the "baloon going up". Whole sections are devoted to identifyig the upward moving baloon on other forums.

Over here we have come to view the BOB as an item to grab as we head to the car to get out of the evac-zone, be it weather, fire, flood, or train wrec w/hazmat complications, not a lifestyle choice.

In some cases that might mean being stuck in an unpleasant situation for a time when "wilderness skills" would add to the comfort level or even save a life.

Personally, I would rather live in my own tent in a campground down the road than in most of the shelters provided during such emergencies.

intothenew
11-29-2012, 07:32 PM
I've mentioned this elsewhere:

Does it have to be a catastrophe?

I get a phone call that the stripers are running.........it's BOB

The rut has started three counties away...........it's BOB

I get to hike a spring three day weekend...........it's BOB

I don't look at BOB as a bad guy. He and I have had some wonderful times together. I know him personally. He and I bug out every chance we get. When things get tough, BOB will be there. But, that is not his primary purpose.

Live it. Breath it.

crashdive123
11-29-2012, 10:18 PM
Oh.....you said stripers.....never mind.:blush:

Sarge47
11-29-2012, 11:00 PM
Oh.....you said stripers.....never mind.:blush:

(deep sigh) Freakn' sailors! :sailor:

Sarge47
11-29-2012, 11:06 PM
11B there is a large segment of the prepper population that has a ninja-boyscout gene and intends to take to the woods with backpack and black rifle when the "ballon goes up".

The "baloon going up" is a secret signal, so secret that no one has any idea what constitutes the "baloon going up". Whole sections are devoted to identifyig the upward moving baloon on other forums.

Over here we have come to view the BOB as an item to grab as we head to the car to get out of the evac-zone, be it weather, fire, flood, or train wrec w/hazmat complications, not a lifestyle choice.

In some cases that might mean being stuck in an unpleasant situation for a time when "wilderness skills" would add to the comfort level or even save a life.

Personally, I would rather live in my own tent in a campground down the road than in most of the shelters provided during such emergencies.

:balloon: (there's your secret signal Kyrat!)

There is a difference between a BOB and a Survival pack. There is also something called the war bag. I just bought the book: "Build the Perfect Bug-Out Bag," by Creek Stewart and it's a really great book for the newbie...you should check it out. Personally I don't view videos as I can't shove them into my pack for easy review later...books work the best for me.

If, however, as Crash said, you're simply "trolling" the "waters" here for some "spamming," you're pretty much "preachin' to the choir. :1: