PDA

View Full Version : Bodygrip Traps

woodzman
07-06-2007, 04:16 PM
I hardly ever see bodygrip/conibear traps in anybody elses survival kit and have never understood why. They take up a little more space and weigh a little more than snare wire, but with a couple of the smaller #110 size traps (that will fit in almost any pack, or even a coat pocket) I'll still be feeding myself long after the last piece of wire is so badly kinked and twisted that It's no longer usable. I have some that have been catching rabbits, muskrats and squirrels for years. I've even caught a few raccoons in these little traps over the years. To be honest I've caught a lot of small game with snares too, but in a survival situation, especially long term, I'd take the 110's every time. Just my opinion. ;)

woodzman
07-07-2007, 04:35 PM
No doubt about it. I'm not knocking the wire and have some with me at all times. Like you said, there are many uses for it.

nell67
07-07-2007, 04:50 PM
My grandfather used conibears when I was growing up,never missed whatever stepped on it was cought.I remember soaking them each year in wallnut shells soaked water to color them the smell also helped mask his scent.

FVR
07-07-2007, 10:59 PM
Fur fish and game has a pretty good article on Con. 110 and 220's.

I used them when I was young trapping muskrats on the Delaware. Never took to trapping. Prob. have a couple traps laying around here somewhere.

spiritman
08-03-2007, 06:15 PM
I've never heard of them before, where would you get them? Any laws against them?

woodzman
08-06-2007, 07:53 PM
You can get them from quite a few different places. I buy most of my trapping supplies from www.minntrapprod.com I've seen them on ebay and I've been told that Gander MT. is selling them now too. If you google trapping supplies you'll have a bunch of places to choose from. Body grip traps come in several sizes and different places have different laws regulating their use.
In my location these traps can be set on land and in the water. In some places they can only be legally set so that they are up off the ground and in others they cant be used on land. If you're not sure if they are legal in your area send for a copy of your local trapping regs.

woodzman
08-06-2007, 07:58 PM
You can get them from quite a few different places. I buy most of my trapping supplies from www.minntrapprod.com I've seen them on ebay and I've been told that Gander MT. is selling them now too. If you google trapping supplies you'll have a bunch of places to choose from. Body grip traps come in several sizes and different places have different laws regulating their use.
In my location these traps can be set on land and in the water. In some places they can only be legally set so that they are up off the ground and in others they cant be used on land. If you're not sure if they are legal in your area send for a copy of your local trapping regs.

spiritman
08-08-2007, 04:02 AM
thanks I'll look it up, they sound like an awesome gadget

trax
08-13-2007, 05:48 PM
be very careful, remember you got those fingers as a matched set.