PDA

View Full Version : Large-scale stump removal and log-moving

GreatUsername
11-24-2012, 04:14 AM
I'm curious about old-fashioned, hand hewn cabinmaking. It's always been a fantasy of mine to purchase a few dozen acres of forest when I retire, and limit myself to traditional methods only, in making a small but cozy, handmade cabin. My question though, is what does one do with all the stumps, and how did pioneers actually go about moving the logs, if they weren't lucky enough to have a donkey, mule, or horse?

I've looked into it a little bit, but so far the methods I've read about for dealing with stumps (burning, continued chopping, digging around and uprooting, encouraging decomposition) seem either time consuming or ineffective.

For moving logs without animal assistance, could pulleys rigged to stumps and some stout rope do the trick?

Your thoughts?

(specifically, dealing mostly with straight, tall, fir and alder trees, this being WA)

crashdive123
11-24-2012, 07:52 AM
For moving logs a hand arch can be used. If your goal is to save money over using an ATV or tractor....they can get pricey.

http://www.logrite.com/store/media/ecom/prodlg/buck.jpg

randyt
11-24-2012, 08:43 AM
you might consider tipping the trees. Climb up near the top and fasten a strong rope or cable. Weaken the base by cutting roots and digging a bit. Take the cable and use a winch, chain fall or come along to pull the tree over. Use a snatch block to stay out of the way of the tree as it comes down. This will tip the stump and will make it easier to pull out later.

randyt
11-24-2012, 08:49 AM
thanks Crash, you just gave me another project. Like I need another but I need one of them rigs.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
11-24-2012, 09:21 AM
Like this Randy?

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af330/COWBOYSURVIVAL/SUNP0014-1.jpg

kyratshooter
11-24-2012, 11:09 AM
For the answer to your history related question;

The pioneers did not venture into the wilderness without a horse! Even the ones that came by water built their flatboats large enough to carry livestock. The pioneer that walked in was so rare as to be commented on as strange in those days.

Up until the 1930s the presence of draft animals was what made the farm. There was no working a farm without horse, mule or oxen.

The trappers and hunters that did come in without horses simply built their cabins from logs small enough to handle by hand. Those would have been temporary structures that would have disappeared over time so not much trace is left.

As for the stumps? Pioneer farming techniques were not those of today and the trees and geography were different from tday. They planted crops between the stumps and worked on them for years to burn or grub them out.

The forest was composed of HUGE trees, widely spaced and the forest floor was mostly clear. There might not be but two or three trees on an acre of ground but they would be 6'-8' in diameter. Some of them took 100 years to decompose.

Living on a small place I can make a recomendation for your construction project. If you are going to be working land, maintaining land, cleaing land and moving logs your first purchase should be an adequite tractor. A modern homesteader can do without a tractor of some type no more than an old style farmer could do without draft animals.

randyt
11-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Like this Randy?

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af330/COWBOYSURVIVAL/SUNP0014-1.jpg

yup, like that, LOL

hunter63
11-24-2012, 03:50 PM
I'll be going after this one with the chainsaw and tractor, although I do have the 2 man cross-cut, a whip saw, and a buck saw, and now the tractor.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/DSCF1200.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/DSCF1202.jpg

The stump is gonna be "habitat",but is out of the way......as most are here at "The Place"

Be sure to count up how many logs you need for a cabin, and have secondary source....Takes alot of trees for any size cabin.

I'm thinking that a tractor is cheaper in the long run, than draft animals, these days, as they eat, poop, beside paying vets and such.

We aren't used to having them around any more in most places.......Even the Amish use power tools........like a diesel motors to run their mills and saws.

Did quite a bit of Dragging with the 4 wheeler for a long time....but was kinda a PITA.

I found that build a this stuff is better done when young, as the older and retired-er you get, cutting, humping around a lot of logs get harder and harder.

Seniorman
11-24-2012, 04:14 PM
KYRATSHOOTER - "... As for the stumps? Pioneer farming techniques were not those of today and the trees and geography were different from tday. They planted crops between the stumps and worked on them for years to burn or grub them out."

I grew up many years ago in a tiny farming town in north central Arkansas. Back then, the farmers in the area cleared out the many hardwood stumps the "easy way," although I suppose it was not too "primitive." They'd dig a hole down under the stump, push in an half stick of dynamite, light the fuse, run, and voila! No more stump and instant kindling besides! :lol:

S.M.

hunter63
11-24-2012, 04:17 PM
BP works pretty good, as well..... kinda pi$$es off the neighbors........Fun though.