PDA

View Full Version : Lost a big old oak......

hunter63
11-22-2012, 05:32 PM
Doing a little 'hunting walk", checking around the property, noticed something missing?
Big old boundary oak is down, or at least the top of it........

Just happened ?, but didn't hear a thing.........

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/DSCF1198.jpg

Went over to check it out, this tree is about 3 ft in diameter, broke off about 12 ft off the ground.......

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/DSCF1199.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/DSCF1202.jpg

Top fell into the ravine, gonna be a PITA to cut up and get out of there, but gonna be plenty of fire wood in about a year......

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/DSCF1200.jpg

Too bad, as I have lost several of these big trees in 20 years, looks odd with a hole in the scenery.

KrisDeagle
11-22-2012, 05:56 PM
It was an ent, slain by another ent after a heated discussion on woodchucks and how much would that they would chuck, if in fact, they could chuck wood.

kyratshooter
11-22-2012, 06:42 PM
I have one a little smaller than that behind the house and when it comes down there is going to be a real problem. It will take out part of the house and chut down power to the entire neighborhood.

If the electric department offered to take it down I would let them. It is a bit on the scragley side and although tall, is not pretty.

Like yours, there is enough wood in it to last a month.

hunter63
11-22-2012, 09:46 PM
So, now I have to decide to hunt the last three days of season or cut wood....maybe take some time off during the day and see whay i can get chunked up.

kyratshooter
11-22-2012, 10:20 PM
That tree will still be there when hunting season is over!

Hunting season will not be there if you take three days to block out that tree.

Got to get your priorities straight here!

Rick
11-22-2012, 11:13 PM
And now the old guy gives way to the younger ones. Sunlight will dip down this summer to feed plants that were shaded in summers past. It's just part of the cycle. Personally, I'm hoping to break the cycle by living forever. I'll let you know how that works out.

hunter63
11-23-2012, 10:21 AM
LOL, Yeah, I don't know where that came from......I'm better now.

I will tell ya it's different...used to be we went hunting somewhere, and you just hunted...that's it.

Then you get a "place" and you are working on it, or sitting in the woods thinking of all the stuff you could be doing, except that's why you went hunting in the first place...to get away fro all that.

So beware, all y'all, don't build a cabin on you place, useless you want to work on it instead of hunting....

Better to find some one elses place, go there, help out, but not really worry about it too much as it isn't yours...LOL

Went out for a couple of hours this morning, cold(20's) and windy, snow flurries...didn't see anything....Yesterday broke the record for 11/22 here with 65 degrees.

jmarshnh
11-23-2012, 11:53 AM
We put a house on our property in FL between 5 big old oaks. The next year the insurance company told us to cut the big limbs
that were hanging over the house or our insurance would be cancelled. Plenty of firewood, but every time the wind blows or it rains
I have limbs all over the place for firewood. Plus no more limbs on top to get off.
Jim

Adventure Wolf
11-25-2012, 01:13 PM
I have several big oaks on my property. One of them went down a few months ago, and half the top fell off. I had to get a bigger chainsaw and help to take care of it, and spend the better part of two days taking it down and splitting it into firewood. I took a few large six foot sections and had them sawn to timber, which is still sitting in my storage shed. I figure I might make some furnature or cabinets out of them. Don't really know.

hunter63
11-25-2012, 03:37 PM
Have to get rid of a black walnut that was growing weird into the field, ended up with a 11' x 13 in dia. log....drying it off the ground, for now, has some real dark heart wood, hoping to find a guy with a saw mill and cut it into gun stock blanks.......

I don't look ar down trees as something bad necessarily, but for some reason this one kinda changed the landscape, and I miss seeing it....Oh well,

crashdive123
11-25-2012, 06:40 PM
Where I was hiking today there were enough downed oaks (and other varieties) to feed a wood stove for a lifetime. Pics to follow when they are done downloading.