PDA

View Full Version : Jamboree A.L.I.C.E help please.

Winnie
11-22-2012, 11:37 AM
The weather is pants, so I decided to empty the pack and give it a bath. While it's in bits, is there any maintenance I should do to it. I've ordered some side release buckles to put on the pockets and pack straps. Is there anything else?
Also, can anyone tell me if there is a difference in comfort between using the frame or not, apart from the obvious reduction in weight.

Sarge47
11-22-2012, 09:30 PM
Winnie, the frame is really good for weight distribution when hiking and carrying a full load. If, on the other hand, you're just going on a day hike and you're only packing a few items then you probably won't need it. Packs with frames are good on trail hikes while internal frame packs are great for climbing. In the end it's how you're going to use it and what for. :mellow:

ElevenBravo
11-22-2012, 09:57 PM
If your talking about an old USGI ruck sack, just pull the nylon ruck off the frame and put it in the washing machine on light load, just a spoon full of detergent should be enough. Warm water should be fine. Line dry and put back in service.

Good luck,
Andrew

Rick
11-22-2012, 11:24 PM
I seem to remember this is a Medium pack. If so, you can use it with or without the frame. Although, I like the frame because it allows some air to circulate between your back and the pack to keep you a tad cooler. As Sarge said it also helps stabilize the load.

Winnie
11-23-2012, 04:50 AM
Righto. I washed it on a cold cycle in the machine without detergent, just a spoon of washing soda. It's come up nice and clean and in good shape. I hadn't thought of the air circulation and weight distribution thing.
Thankyou.

kyratshooter
11-23-2012, 10:46 AM
The U.S. Army had comfort and light weight way down the list of their priorities when designing the ALICE system.

The only good thing I ever saw about it was that it was better than trying to stuff a weeks worth of patrol gear into the GI butt pack. Many units were never issued the ALICE pack. They simply had to improvise because the missions were the same, gear or not.