PDA

View Full Version : Inverter W/motor Running

kyratshooter
11-18-2012, 07:45 PM
Question...

I have a Koler single cylinder 8 horse motor on my tractor. This is a 1970s era motor with the generator and starter as the same unit. No fancy electronics.

Will it harm the generator for me to run my 1000w inverter straight off the battery with the motor running?

How about the same inverter off a car with the motor running?

crashdive123
11-18-2012, 08:58 PM
You should be fine. I have 1500 watt inverters in my trucks. The one in the bug truck (not bug out ) gets quite a bit of use. For homes that have no power I run a variety of equipment (compressors, sprayers, large hammer drills). Depending on the length of time the job will take me I will sometimes have the motor running.

hunter63
11-18-2012, 09:09 PM
I ran a 300 watt inverter in my service to recharge the 18 v power tools....some time the motor was running somethime b=not.
300 watt inverter connected to battery......plug in 110 v charger for 18v power tools.

So it should work fine.

oldsoldier
11-18-2012, 09:11 PM
A little different but a few years ago when I was driving a truck OTR I had an inverter in my tractor that ran my TV DVD player, Microvave oven and a couple other things. Inverter stayed on as long as truck ignition was on. sometimes a couple weeks at a time with no problems. I ran a 5000 watt inverter.

Echo2
11-18-2012, 09:16 PM
I don't see any issues....run one on my truck quite often.

intothenew
11-18-2012, 09:28 PM
More load is more burden simply. More load is certainly harder on the generator.

You need to be aware of the possible burden on "your load" at low voltage. Check the terminal voltage at full load and assess.

ElevenBravo
11-18-2012, 09:42 PM
Also be aware of battery size and capacity. If the battery is a smaller garden tractor variety Id run no more than a 300 watt inverter. An automotive size battery about 1500 watt. A dedicated battery bank with a recharging system, 1500 and up.

For the truck driver situation, understand the batteries and generators were "monster" compared to automotive applications.

For the yarden size tractor with a small battery and the engine running, Id try to pull no more than 750 watts for any duration, this equates to about 7 amps drain on the DC side.

HTH
Andrew

intothenew
11-18-2012, 10:02 PM
You're in "dep hell" if the generator is undersized, no matter the size of the battery. Time, is the only question if that is the case.