PDA

View Full Version : Coyote live trapping

Wolfsaber
11-17-2012, 07:15 PM
This will be my first year for trapping. Washington only allows for live cage style trapping.. It is my understanding that live trapping coyotes is with little to no success.. I'm sure someone has a trick or 2 to share maybe?

kyratshooter
11-18-2012, 12:11 AM
Reminds me of when I once taught at military school and cautioned the young men to leave the wildlife that roamed the property alone. One day a young fellow came to my office looking for help. He was cut, bruised, torn and bleeding.

"What happened young man?"

"I caught a squirrel Sir." he replied.

"I told you boys to leave the squirrels alone!"

"Yes Sir but I thought you were trying to protect the squirrels. You didn't tell us how hard it was to turn them loose after you caught them!"

What are you going to do with a coyote after you catch it?

First, coyotes are not "small game", they are good sized critters. It will take quite a trap to hold one.

Second, you are going to have to shoot it after you trap it, why not just call them in and shoot them in the first place and eliminate the trap secquence?

Humptulips
11-20-2012, 08:43 PM
Live trapping coyotes will be an exercise in frustration. Studies done on live trapping coyotes showed that it took over 1000 trap nights out for every coyote captured. You would be much better off trying to trap another species of furbearer. Beaver and otter have always been top animals to trap in W WA. Muskrat are a particularly good price right now so I would not pass them up if you find some. You can get into rat trapping easiest with colony traps that most build themselves. Cats are another popular animal to try for. Not so easy but they are saleable. Not like the prices on E WA cats but catching one is not only about price.

It was commented why bother trapping. One could also say the same about myriad other outdoor pursuits. Trappers trap because they enjoy a connection to the land probably not equaled in other forms of hunting. I don't hunt ducks but I don't question why anyone would want to.
It helps that we get paid for the furs we catch but the bottom line is we would not being doing it if we didn't enjoy the art of trapping and I should add fur handling.
Bruce Vandervort, President
Washington State Trappers Association

Wolfsaber
11-21-2012, 02:37 PM
My grandfather was a trapper for over 70 years in Washington although he has never live trapped and shook his head when he realized I had to trap that way. I am familiar with some of the species in my area and in easter WA and can't wait till I get to set my own lines. The whole reason for wanting to trap coyotes is one in particular. I live in a very urban setting and can not shoot in city limits. It is going to be my personal goal to get this one.. Besides I like a challenge. Trust me if I could shoot it I would have many times already.

Bruce, I'll be joining Washington State Trappers Association on Dec 1st when I take my class.

kyratshooter
11-21-2012, 03:09 PM
I have nothing against trapping, I just do not see any point in this particular exercise of frustration. I have delt with coyotes for years and have dispatched a good number of the critters using everything from firearms to Prestone antifreeze.

My goal has generally been elimination of the problem efficiently rather than thrill of the pursuit.

Wolfsaber
11-21-2012, 03:28 PM
I have nothing against trapping, I just do not see any point in this particular exercise of frustration. I have delt with coyotes for years and have dispatched a good number of the critters using everything from firearms to Prestone antifreeze.

My goal has generally been elimination of the problem efficiently rather than thrill of the pursuit.

Its a "Would if I could" situation. I bet anything firearms to Prestone antifreeze, where I live, will get me tossed in jail..

Humptulips
11-21-2012, 04:52 PM
My grandfather was a trapper for over 70 years in Washington although he has never live trapped and shook his head when he realized I had to trap that way. I am familiar with some of the species in my area and in easter WA and can't wait till I get to set my own lines. The whole reason for wanting to trap coyotes is one in particular. I live in a very urban setting and can not shoot in city limits. It is going to be my personal goal to get this one.. Besides I like a challenge. Trust me if I could shoot it I would have many times already.

Bruce, I'll be joining Washington State Trappers Association on Dec 1st when I take my class.

I'll see you there. I'm going to be helping put the class on. I can talk with you more in depth after the class. There is a special permit process for padded jaw traps you might be able to use if this is on your own property.

Whose your Grandfather. I might know him. You can probably figure where I live by my screen name.

kyratshooter
11-21-2012, 05:41 PM
Its a "Would if I could" situation. I bet anything firearms to Prestone antifreeze, where I live, will get me tossed in jail..

In most of the world there is an old term called the 3-S rule, used when critters are into the livestock or becomming dangerous; shoot, shovel and shut-up.

DesertDiver
11-22-2012, 11:53 AM
Trapping yotes is a pretty brutal exercise is disappointment. The question is: what are you looking for? For pelts (god knows why) and thrills, early morning dusters with my .223 are all that I need. Maybe you need more but a decent rabbit call does wonders for my relaxation. If your looking for pest control, live traps are about as effective as shouting from your porch. A short drive outside the city at dawn fixes the "city limits" bs.