PDA

View Full Version : Potential Twinkie Shortage!!!!

cowgirlup
11-14-2012, 09:05 PM
Or they might just disappear all together.
Better stock up now while you still can.
I can hear Rick weeping now....

http://news.msn.com/us/hostess-may-close-down-for-good-if-workers-do-not-return-by-thursday

crashdive123
11-14-2012, 10:40 PM
They closed one location today - lost 122 workers. Looks like labor is cutting off their nose to spite their face.

natertot
11-14-2012, 10:51 PM
I wouldn't worry about Rick. Chances are, he has the recipes and 25 different ways to make 'em. I just know the guy has a back up plan of sorts. :chef:

canid
11-15-2012, 12:31 AM
How can they be bankrups? Surely we here buy and hoard enough of their delicious edible currency to keep their doors open. What's next, Bar S?

ElevenBravo
11-15-2012, 01:57 AM
Twinkies is high on my preps list.... Loved them since I was a tiny kid, best cake on earth!

Rick wont be the only one in tears....

Im still ticked off that they quit making the Penrose hot sausage!!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bring-Back-Penrose-Hot-Sausages/169798963108333

Winnie
11-15-2012, 05:08 AM
POTENTIAL Twinkie Shortage?!? Ha! Keep up! I searched just about every shop in KY, and VA for Twinkies.... nil, zilch, nope. I found 4 packets in a truck stop(yup, that's how desperate I got!) but did I buy them? noooooo, BTW and I decided we could probably do better at Walmart!

tipacanoe
11-15-2012, 08:16 AM
When I was stationed in Iceland in 1970, I was sending Twinkies home as sort of a savings account for later on in life. I still have a few left and they taste fine if anyone wants them. I just found out from my doctor that sweets need to be cut out of my diet.

Pal334
11-15-2012, 11:03 AM
Another good example of using the new for Intelligence gathering, I stocked up yesterday. And today? None in the store. Talk about a potential crisis

jfeatherjohn
11-15-2012, 11:05 AM
As I was reading this, the Twinkie debacle made CNN.
A bunch of Walmart warehouse workers have gone on strike.
I want to know...have you ever seen the rain?

2dumb2kwit
11-15-2012, 11:22 AM
In case it gets really bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGKsWrpsKtI&feature=relmfu

Old GI
11-15-2012, 01:03 PM
QUICK!!!!! Someone get over to Rick's house with an AED; there might still be time!!! HURRY~~~~~

Tootsiepop254
11-15-2012, 05:36 PM
Come to Central Cal - I work at Circle K; we have Twinkies for days! It's the bags of donuts that sold out...

I've never actually had a Twinkie...

natertot
11-15-2012, 05:55 PM
I've never actually had a Twinkie...

Hey Rick, isn't that grounds for banning?! I believe it is right there after bacon if memory serves me right......:munchies:

hunter63
11-15-2012, 06:39 PM
Twinkies will store forever....so if y'all find them stock up.......

Rick
11-15-2012, 07:56 PM
I've been buying them by the case for some time now. I have a few stocked up. I'm going for the Guinness Book of Records.

http://www.rsteviemoore.com/img6/twinkies.jpg (http://www.rsteviemoore.com/img6/twinkies.jpg)

We come here to learn. Just because someone hasn't eaten a Twinkie means we've learned there are more for us. Muhahahahahahahahahaha!

Sarge47
11-16-2012, 12:25 AM
Rick stocks up on Twinkie's because eating them regularly keeps his hong from falling down! :sneaky2: :innocent:

Old GI
11-16-2012, 09:35 AM
Sarge - You are a baaad maaaan!

BENESSE
11-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Rick stocks up on Twinkie's because eating them regularly keeps his hong from falling down! :sneaky2: :innocent:

And, if it weren't for Rick's hong, Sarge would have to find an entirely new preoccupation. At his age, that would be cruel and unusual punishment. :sneaky2:

jfeatherjohn
11-16-2012, 12:59 PM
It's official...Hostice is laying off everybody and putting all of its assets up for sale.
That will include all of the brands, so if some corp wants to cntinue the Twinkie tradition, this is their opportunity.
BTW, this is not a bankuptcy; they are disolving the company voluntarily.

BENESSE
11-16-2012, 01:04 PM
We all need to pitch in and buy it...we'd be our own best customers. Ring Dings are part of the Hostess family, btw.

karatediver
11-16-2012, 05:40 PM
This is bad for a town nearby. They are losing a plant, a distribution center, and one of the stores. Plus all the delivery truck drivers for the distribution center. Twinkies will be back eventually. Some other company will buy the rights to them and start producing eventually but I doubt those jobs will be coming back to this town considering it is in California and the costs to do business here are so much higher than in other states.

crashdive123
11-16-2012, 08:24 PM
The local Hostess plant employs over 120 people. This morning the union employees were still walking the picket line. The TV reporter asked one of them...you understand that the company is closing and you are all losing your jobs right? The response was - we'll keep walking this picket line until the union tells us to stop.

The dirty little secret about union leadership (IMO) is that they don't give a rat's rear end about their workers. All they care about is power. Now they will be able to tell the next company that they are trying to shake down......"you saw what we did to Hostess right?".

BENESSE
11-16-2012, 09:20 PM
The local Hostess plant employs over 120 people. This morning the union employees were still walking the picket line. The TV reporter asked one of them...you understand that the company is closing and you are all losing your jobs right? The response was - we'll keep walking this picket line until the union tells us to stop.

The dirty little secret about union leadership (IMO) is that they don't give a rat's rear end about their workers. All they care about is power. Now they will be able to tell the next company that they are trying to shake down......"you saw what we did to Hostess right?".

I don't know enough about how these things work, but I do know that our agency and many others prefer to shoot commercials abroad because of cheaper, non union labor. The savings are in the millions.
What I'm wondering is this: can a company buy Hostess and relocate to one of the states that allow companies to employ non union labor like say, SC?

crashdive123
11-16-2012, 09:28 PM
I believe that it can be sold. Not sure of all of the locations and how many are in right to work states. I imagine that relocating could be worked into a business plan. I think it is important to remember that only 30% of the 18,500 employees were members of unions and of those I believe it was just the bakery workers (don't recall the name of the union) that were on strike.

Florida-Mike
11-16-2012, 09:43 PM
so they went on strike and now they lost there jobs.WOW i do not feel sorry for them,that was a dumb move on the unions parts to do that. they were lucky to even have a job and now they lost it all. dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb

jfeatherjohn
11-17-2012, 05:46 AM
Kryat,
The Teamsters were there in force, but not on strike.
The brands are for sale, so a buyer could bring Twinkies and Ding Dongs to AZ.
We've had so many Twinkies and Ding Dongs move here already that we would barely notice.
And we could use the jobs...
Well, up here we have a number of engineering/manufacturing firms..and Ruger, but they could go to, like, Tombstone.
Twinkies...NIMBY.

wareagle69
11-17-2012, 09:20 AM
unions are the reason that the rest of the workforce has the rights that they do, such as stat holidays and the right to work in a safe work place, all brought to you by the borthers and sisters who have sacrificed allot for your benefit. until you know what the management has tried to strongarm onto the workers, then i suggest doing your research first , they are the moving force and power behind N America.
As the originator of the handle twinkie for rick, let me pass along my condolences, but as was already suggested, it is just wonder who is locking their doors, someone else will purchase the rights and soon all will be status quo.

crashdive123
11-17-2012, 09:41 AM
With all due respect - unions WERE a necessity at one time in this country. They no longer are IMO. If people want to unionize there should be nothing that stands in their way. I also believe that public sector unions should be outlawed. The reason for this is - with private sector unions - the union and the management of the company sit down and hash out a plan. That's the way it should work since it is management that is footing the bills. With public sector unions the people footing the bills are the taxpayers, and they do not get a seat at the table. Instead, the unions negotiate with politicians to whom they can help with big money donations, or demonize with big money donations. Either way, the people footing the bill do not get a seat at the table.

By the way - even the Teamsters thought the Bakers Union was out of line.

2dumb2kwit
11-17-2012, 11:13 AM
With all due respect - unions WERE a necessity at one time in this country. They no longer are IMO. If people want to unionize there should be nothing that stands in their way. I also believe that public sector unions should be outlawed. The reason for this is - with private sector unions - the union and the management of the company sit down and hash out a plan. That's the way it should work since it is management that is footing the bills. With public sector unions the people footing the bills are the taxpayers, and they do not get a seat at the table. Instead, the unions negotiate with politicians to whom they can help with big money donations, or demonize with big money donations. Either way, the people footing the bill do not get a seat at the table.

Spot on, crash.

Unions are kind of like gangs. In south central LA, Hispanics started gangs to protect themselves from hateful bigots. Useful and needed in the beginning, but look what they turned into.

Wildthang
11-18-2012, 10:56 AM
I think we should all go in together and buy one of the Twinkie plants. We could make Twinkies and call them " Survival Twinkies " and get rich while appeasing all of the preppers of the world. And we would also be doing good for all of mankind!

kyratshooter
11-18-2012, 11:03 AM
If we nitrogen packed them in camo mylar and labeled them Tatical Twinkies we could double the price.

jfeatherjohn
11-18-2012, 11:19 AM
:chef: :rambo: :goof:

Rick
11-18-2012, 04:31 PM
They didn't want to take an 8% cut in wages, reductions in medical or reductions in pension. My math may be fuzzy but I think they took a 100% cut in everything. If you don't like the package where you work find another job. Pretty simple, really. By the way, never strike for wages. You can't make up lost wages.

Wildthang
11-19-2012, 02:10 PM
If we nitrogen packed them in camo mylar and labeled them Tatical Twinkies we could double the price.

Exactly what I'm thinking Kyrat! We just need some investors to initiate the plan! We could also sell camo bottles of tap water to wash them down with!

hunter63
11-19-2012, 02:33 PM
Here ya go "Survival DIY Twinkies"
Be prepared...
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/38681430/ns/today-food/t/ho-ho-no-fate-twinkies-uncertain-try-recipe/

crashdive123
11-19-2012, 07:43 PM
I was in Wally World today and took a stroll down the Twinkie aisle. There were no Hostess products left on the shelf (in this particular store), but the Wally World brand that looks exactly like the Hostess products (Twinkies, Ho Ho's, etc.) were prominently displayed along with a larger frontage for Little Debbie products.

canid
11-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Well; not only has Hostess stated that they have received offers for a buyout, but there Hostess Brands the the union have apparently entered mediation in hopes resolving the labor disputes.

hunter63
11-19-2012, 09:38 PM
Seems the judge that heard the shut down case sent both parties to mediation....must like twinkies as well....LOL
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Hostess-Bankruptcy-Bakers-Union-Judge-White-Plains-Court-Twinkies-HoHos-180005221.html

canid
11-19-2012, 09:59 PM
must like twinkies as well.

that seems like to most likely explanation to me as well.

Incidentally, I just tried a store brand which is [gasp] better than Hostess's.

Dennis K.
11-20-2012, 02:20 PM
The greatest tragedy will actually be the loss of the "Blinkie," which, for you novices out there, is a balogna-wrapped Twinkie.

Rick
11-20-2012, 07:33 PM
Oh, not so fast you Twinkie can kickers. Hostess has agreed to mediation. So the shut down has been put on hold. Ha! to you!

jfeatherjohn
11-20-2012, 07:36 PM
Something better hapen soon, before those Teamsters go Obi Wan on a bunch of bakers.

crashdive123
11-20-2012, 10:15 PM
Oh, not so fast you Twinkie can kickers. Hostess has agreed to mediation. So the shut down has been put on hold. Ha! to you!

Just like those greedy corporate types to want to keep their company up and running. I guess that all the boxes of Twinkies I picked up won't be worth as much. Suppose I'll save them for one of the Jamborees.

karatediver
11-21-2012, 12:39 PM
Well the negotiations fell apart again so it looks like the whole thing will be broken up. Mexican company Bimbo will probably pick up the tasty treats and start making them in Mexico. Twikies will be back but they will probably not be made here.

After reading about the things that Hostess put up with from the unions such as over 40 collective bargaining agreements, can't deliver twinkies and wonder bread on the same truck, delivery drivers prohibited from stocking store shelves requiring a second person in the truck just to do that job. I'm surprised the company lasted this long under those requirements.

2dumb2kwit
11-21-2012, 01:28 PM
I can't wait for the new commercials, with "Twinkie del niņo". :innocent:

Rick
11-21-2012, 10:22 PM
Union: "To start with we'd like to...."
Company: "Nope."
Union: "I was going to say...."
Company: "We can't agree to that."
Union: "To what? I didn't even...."
Company: "Oh, sorry. That would be too costly."
Union: "But I haven't....."
Company: "Obviously you don't really want to negotiate. Mr. Moderator, I'm afraid negotiations have failed."
Union: "What just happened?"

canid
11-21-2012, 10:36 PM
Let's all look on the bright side here; all those twinkie hoarders who stocked up with grand hopes of price gouging on ebay are unloading like a bottle rocket delivery truck on fire right now. Now will probably be the time for the rest of us to stock up.

Sarge47
11-21-2012, 10:41 PM

I agree with Crash, and here's why:

Many moons past Unions accomplished a lot of good, but things have changed. I've been involved in two Union fiascos in the past and will never be involved with another one again. One Union was involved in a strike that pushed a large Thermos factory that employed hundreds of locals out of this state entirely and into another one. Another one had workers fighting to get them to replace another one for over a year. Many workers were fired for talking about it on the job, usually by foremen that they had been friends with for years. When the time came for any interested Unions to petition for a vote on representation, the Union that had been trying to get in sat down with the opposing Union in Washington, signed a mutually agreed upon "No-Raid Pact," and pulled out, leaving all of their supporters in the lurch. Today that company has vanished! In the 1st case I was a Union Stewart and attended a "Union Leadership Course." The people teaching us wore very expensive suits, drove very expensive cars, and made us feel like we were blessed just to have them there for a few minutes. There is a lot more to be gained if the workers sit down with the company they work for and talk things out in a positive manner. Most of the time that works...if not...well THEN there's the other side of the coin. :cool2: