PDA

View Full Version : Stumps and pumkins

Wildthang
11-10-2012, 08:30 AM
Anybody ever used pumkins to get rid of unwanted tree stumps? My dad would cut trees of as close to the ground as possible, and drill a few holes in the middle of the stump. After about a year, he would plant pumkin seeds in the middle of the partially rotted stump. Pumkin roots must be some tenacious creatures because after a couple of years, they would totally destroy the stump and most of the connecting roots where they connect to the stump.
Of course the grand kids get pumkins as well!

randyt
11-10-2012, 01:59 PM
another way is to take a long drill bit and dill along side the stump into the dirt, a few feet down then fill these holes with shelled corn. Let a few hogs loose and they will dig the stump out for you or at least to the bottom of the hole that was drilled.

hunter63
11-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Filling those drilled holes with black powder is a lot more fun.......LOL
But yeah, I believe that would work just fine, most anything will sprout and grow.....first time I heard of using pupkins, I have to say.

crashdive123
11-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Just call the local police....... anonymously.....and tell them that there is a body buried under the old tree at......they'll dig it up for you.

oldtrap59
11-12-2012, 07:45 PM
We've taken out several LARGE pines here this fall. Stumps never seem to be a problem as the bugs move in as soon as they are cut down. Course we have more then our share of bugs down here that are always looking for a meal of fresh cut wood.
BTW all the logs are on a trailer at the sawmill waiting their turn to be turned into lumber.

Oldtrap