PDA

View Full Version : Mice wars of 2012...fall addition

hunter63
11-08-2012, 07:15 PM
As deer season is a few weeks away, I decide to go down to the Louisiana Box blind and check my mouse problem....evicted a nest and a few mice over the summer.

Blind is a porta-potty on a 10 ft tower....
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/gztheofficecrop.jpg

Yesterday I had opened the door to find 12-20 mice staring at me....HollyShut.....off to the hardware store....more poison and traps...Today tried to take a pic, not there,,LOL

Cleaned out the nest (again) vacuumed up the poop and nesting material, bleached down the floor, and left windows open.

Mice like the poison bait well enough to eat a hole in the plastic bucket to get at it......added more and placed 8 glue traps.......

So we will see.....

mountainmark
11-08-2012, 07:44 PM
I have to deal with them once a year when they start thinking about winter nesting sites. As soon as I see their "sign" lying somewhere I place a few of those poison bait blocks out with the delayed symptoms. That way they run and get all their cousins, aunts and uncles and inlaws stop by for the feast. by the time they realize something is amiss with those blocks it is too late. Party over. Don't have to deal with them till next fall :dissolve:

randyt
11-08-2012, 07:46 PM
here what I use in the shop, garage and trap camp. A few inches of anti-freeze keeps the smell down. The trap keeps working after a catch.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh227/randytlee/003-16.jpg

hunter63
11-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Now I like that...water in it?

Winnie
11-09-2012, 05:54 AM
The war is over for me. I left that behind when I moved.
I doubt the new tenant will have much trouble..... He has these....

Rick
11-09-2012, 08:25 AM
Hunter - If you take the ladder and rope down from the blind the mice won't be able to get in. Just sayin'......

Randy - About the only way I could negotiate that trap would be if I was drunk. Been a couple of times in my past I could have done it. Now days I'd just look at it and think, "That's a lot of work for some peanut butter and a Coke. Now if that was bacon........"

ElevenBravo
11-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Ahhh... bacon!

hunter63
11-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Hunter - If you take the ladder and rope down from the blind the mice won't be able to get in. Just sayin'......

Randy - About the only way I could negotiate that trap would be if I was drunk. Been a couple of times in my past I could have done it. Now days I'd just look at it and think, "That's a lot of work for some peanut butter and a Coke. Now if that was bacon........"

LOL, these are acrobatic mice....had a couple dive right out the door, 10 ft to the ground ....and run away, didn't even notice a limp.....

So I need to go check in a bit....wonder how long it takes them to die, stuck to a glue strip....

Wildthang
11-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Throw a cat in in there Hunter!

hunter63
11-09-2012, 02:45 PM
Cats out here are not your little fuzzy, cutesy city cats...these all have an attitude.....so I would have to catch one first.....No thanks, like trying to catch a chainsaw when it's running.

randyt
11-09-2012, 07:52 PM
I have water in this one, later on I'll probably replace the water with propylene glycol. The glycol will help with the smell of a dead mouse and won't freeze this winter. For "The Rickster" I'll cook his goose, I'll use a twinkie for bait.

hunter63
11-09-2012, 08:34 PM
Did a survey of the "killing zone' of glue traps,...this afternoon, seems no takers yet......."yo homey, yo playin' us...wit dat sticky stuff?".
Bucket-o-death is really getting a run, though.....so we will see.

Next naybe I set up my trap line of snap traps.....

So, y'all use a .17 caliber for mice?........."Honey, gonna be needin' one of them there mouse guns......"

randyt
11-09-2012, 09:05 PM
I use my flobert for wayward rats and mice.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh227/randytlee/027.jpg

hunter63
11-09-2012, 09:21 PM
Yeah that's the ticket......"Honey, guy on here says I need a flobert for the mice.....What,... yeah, well never heard of it either, just a second, I'll ask...."

OK, DW say I ain't getting a flobert, till I can tell what it is........So what's a flobert?

randyt
11-09-2012, 09:26 PM
this should clear it up

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallery_gun

hunter63
11-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Well, who has all the "kewl" stuff now......LOL.....Thanks.

Rick
11-10-2012, 09:20 PM
like trying to catch a chainsaw when it's running

(Big Sigh) Been there, done that.

crashdive123
11-10-2012, 09:31 PM
At least you weren't up in a tree when you caught it.:whistling:

Wise Old Owl
11-10-2012, 10:33 PM
Oh come on guys.... its mice, put two of Rodent boxes at the bottom of the blind. 8507 Then add bait every week at first then a month for a few months until the population is knocked down. The bait should be picked up at a farmer's store like Tractor Supply. Why? Farmers are given a pass on current consumer regulation of bait blocks... the stuff at Lowes and Home Despot or Ace is watered down to save pets ... When the bait stops disappearing you can relax and do it every other month.

Winter
11-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Angled flashing.

Take a 2" by 3" 90deg galvanized flashing, you buy it in 10' pieces, and make these for the legs.

http://www.swi-tec.us/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=50

One piece will do all 4 legs, bring some galvie roofing nails, some snips , and a hammer.

Wise Old Owl
11-11-2012, 11:07 AM
Yes exclusion works too. Thanks Winter.

hunter63
11-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Thought about the flashing's....too bad I was still working, was a mechanical contracting place, with all sorts of sheet metal guys.......LOL

I too little to be a tin banger, not enough blood, I'd bleed to death before noon......LOL....the real good sheet metal guy are all big dudes.....lot's of blood.

I have all the tools but a sheet metal break would be nice.

Cast-Iron
11-11-2012, 02:47 PM
Hunter I have to agree with Winter's suggestion ( I was ready to suggest the same thing until I realized he beat me to it). Ten feet should be enough for four 15 inch barricades. Might not stop squirrels, but it should keep the smaller rodents at bay. Just keep any weeds and or brush cut back enough to prevent them from finding a path around your deterrents.

Good luck with the deer hunting!

randyt
11-11-2012, 06:56 PM
it would be simple to make, wouldn't even have to use radial line development. Get a pair of dividers and scribe a 24 inch circle then scribe a six inch circle. cut the inner circle out and cut the outer circle. At this point you will have a storm collar for a round pipe. Bring the ends together and over lap then enough that the inner hole is smaller than your post, screw the lap together with a zip screw. Basically you now have a chinamans cap with a hole in the,center. Mark a square the size of your post, centered on the small hole. Cut this out slightly undersized. Go to your pole, pull the zip screw, bring it around the pole and re-zip. There ya go three more to go.

Rick
11-11-2012, 07:01 PM
Does it have to be dividers or can you use subtractors? I'm pretty good on multiplying too. Division always did give me problems. I'm writing all this down. Between notes, a calculator and my computer I'm sure to figure it out.

Hunter - Just put up a No Mice Allowed sign.

randyt
11-11-2012, 07:03 PM
you can use trammel points too LOL.

Rick
11-11-2012, 07:05 PM
Thanks. I'll be up all night now.

Winter
11-11-2012, 11:12 PM
Hunter, I had a lightbulb turn on over my noggin. Get 4 of those things they put around dogs necks to keep them from licking a wound. Those and some duct tape and you're golden.

hunter63
11-12-2012, 04:03 PM
A have to thanks y'all for the fix-es,........ just checked the blind, and there are a couple more dead mice stuck to the glue strips, and the bucket of bait is really gone down,....But I have to say making some collers may be a great idea......Too bad the posts are square...

As I no longer have a HVAC service truck parked in the drive way, guess I have to start looking for some material......

The battle goes on......

hunter63
11-17-2012, 10:58 PM
So today I spent my first full day, no mice.
Thursday I removed the bait bucket, set it under the stand, place the glue traps, had a couple of dead mice on them, and set a couple of snap traps w/peanut butter in the blind....

Friday, nothing touched the traps in the blind, goo deal.......but the glue traps w/mice on them were gone......
I can just imagine a couple of coyotes running around with these stuck to his/her face.....LOL

Anyway seems like the battle is over for now.......