PDA

View Full Version : Gear Review Suggestions

roar-k
11-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Anyone have anything in particular they would like reviewed? I have some packs and stoves I have thought about doing a review on. Also, I think we might be able to get some suggestions and others may already have the gear and can do a review as well.

It can be anything from a Kifaru pack to the new Sig 516 or a look at the Solo Stove.

NorthernMichiganBilly
11-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Hello Roar-K ~

Last year I purchased a new wood-burning camp stove from Fire Box. Actually I went whole-hog and bought their FIREBOX Master Combo Kit. Link: http://foldingfirebox.com/master-combo-kit/

Here's the review that I wrote up on this outstanding kit (addressed to the owners of Fire Box):

Good day there, Steve & Shantale.

Just returned from the overnight camp-out in which I tested the FIREBOX Master Combo Kit for the first time. As impressed as I was watching many of the instructional videos of the stove and kit I was even more stoked to handle it for the first time.

Though the complete Master Combo Kit was slightly heavier than I imagined but it's no problem at all. It’s so thin when fully packed that it saves lots of room in my ruck-sack. This sure beats hauling around my old heavier & bulkier multi-fuel stove w/fuel bottles!

Using the Wilderness Innovations magnesium/flint (that came with the kit) to light some lint with tinder was simple and effective using only a few strikes on the flint. The short shock-cord attached to the scraper is handy and overall it’s a great tool. Mr. Perry Peacock’s Concentrator-Paper and W.I. FireStix is a great idea. While I understand how it works I’m not going to use these two items save for an emergency situation. Good job including these items to the kit.

The American made pouch with the D-handle is well designed to hold the kit with a room to spare for a few small items; it’s well constructed and should last a very long time.

FIREBOX: I’m very pleased with the sturdiness and thickness of the steel in the design of this stove. Very solid and will hold up plenty of weight. The opening up and fold-down of the stove is impressive. After starting a fire the first usage of the stove was to melt and boil a pot of snow for drinking and for cooking some dehydrated food. The way you designed the vents aided in creating a very hot and well directed fire. It didn’t take long to get the water boiling.

GRILL PLATE: it worked great when I cooked up some steaks.

BOIL PLATE: haven’t used it yet but appears to be very serviceable.

EXTRA FIRE-STICKS: a great option to have four (4) of them. Well made and strong.

NALGENE BOTTLE and DRINKING CUP: I’m glad that the nalgene bottle is BPA free and the cup is a nice feature that the bottle slips into, which is a space-saver for your rucksack. It’s also serves as a measuring cup (up to 16 oz.’s).

Other uses: the next time we have company on the back deck (over looking the river) I’ll place a brick underneath the stove and start up a fire for light and decoration.

SUMMARY: overall I’d give this quality Kit a 5-Star rating. It was a pleasure dealing with Steve and Shantale. I like that it’s a family owned business and that they take pride in their products. They were helpful on the telephone and also responded to my inquiries via e-mail. They gave me a five dollar military/veteran discount. The free shipping is a big bonus and my FIREBOX Master Combo Kit arrived quickly via USPS Priority Mail, which cost them fourteen dollars and change to ship. I’m pleased that the items are American made!

(End review)

Should anyone be interested to read up on this innovative new stove then here's the link to their home page: http://foldingfirebox.com/ Note: there's lots of instructional videos to view.

Take care now...

Respectfully,
Billy

Psalm 118:8-9 ; Jonah 2:9c ; John 5:24

Echo2
11-05-2012, 04:58 PM
Are you asking about gear that you have?

roar-k
11-05-2012, 10:20 PM
Are you asking about gear that you have?

No, I am not. I am in the process of gathering gear, as are others, and was wondering what interests people the most. Specific brand or specific gear types. Some people have a passion for packs and others hammocks or sleeping bags.

Echo2
11-05-2012, 10:48 PM
I've been amassing my fixed blade collection....planning on doing a review sometime this winter.

Been customizing a Savage 110 FP Tactical...planning a test firing after the stock arrives.

roar-k
11-06-2012, 09:16 AM
I've been amassing my fixed blade collection....planning on doing a review sometime this winter.

Been customizing a Savage 110 FP Tactical...planning a test firing after the stock arrives.

That's what I am looking for. Trying to get some others interested in posting reviews of the gear they have purchased or something they have had for awhile. Never know when it will help someone else.

As I have never really done a review I am going to try and find a piece of gear to start with, and then try to do one.

roar-k
11-13-2012, 06:38 PM
Alright peoples, I need some input. When you are looking for reviews on items of interest what do you like to see covered? What points do you wish to see addressed?

BENESSE
11-13-2012, 07:21 PM
A week ago I ordered this item http://www.lapolicegear.com/surefire-saint-minimus-headlamp.html which didn't have any reviews on this particular site but the product description said all the right things. Given the steep price (even though it was on sale), I needed to know more from actual customers, so I went to Amazon and read up what they had to say.

Here's an example of a review I found useful:
http://www.amazon.com/Surefire-Saint-Minimus-LED-Headlamp/product-reviews/B002QIQ80K/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I want to know the kind of details, good and bad, that come from use of the item. I like to know how it compares to other similar items and ultimately, if the item holds up and is a good value.

rebel
11-13-2012, 08:00 PM
I bought one of these energizer head lights from Wally-world a few years ago. I've always worried about the light accidentally being turned on but it hasn't. The 3 AAA batteries have never been changed and, I've used it for three hunting seasons. Mine has the single red and a double white light. Other than the switch, no complaints.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Energizer-Trailfinder-3-LED-Headlight/10233057

rebel
11-13-2012, 08:02 PM
Estwing hatchets, axes and splitting mauls. I like them.

crashdive123
11-13-2012, 08:39 PM
Alright peoples, I need some input. When you are looking for reviews on items of interest what do you like to see covered? What points do you wish to see addressed?

When I look at reviews I want to compare how it was used vs the intended use. What worked. What didn't work. If it's something that is worn (pack, vest, etc) I want to know the comfort level.

So many reviews that are out there on youtube and forums (including this one) are not adequate. Reviews like - I just opened the box and this is built like a tank - you should buy one. Really? The reviewer has not used it but is recommending others to buy it? Not useful in my book.

I've also come to realize that when I am asked for a recommendation on a piece of gear that I need to do a better job of reviewing it. Quite a while back I recommended a Jumbo Versapack. My review was basically - I use it every day (true at the time) and love it. Where I failed was to not realize that the way I used it was not the way the the person asked would be using it.

Williepete
11-13-2012, 11:14 PM
Back in May 2004 I sort of went crazy buying stuff and stuff. One thing I purchased has really been usefull. It is a headlamp with three leds and a regular blub. It has a very nice head band that really holds it in place on head or cap. The light itself holds 2 AA and the aux pack that fits on your belt holds 4 C batteries. The whole thing is water proff. Best thing is this place has them on sale for $59.95. You will have to check light output as I don't remember the specs, but I really like the unit. Be aware that I am the type of guy that always buys the best of things, I will not buy the cheap tools. It has three light output settings.

Bill

http://flashlightsunlimited.com/switchback.htm

headlamp can be unpluged from battery pack and used by itself.

Winnie
11-14-2012, 04:47 AM
Pics are always good, I reckon anything you have, or particularly use more than others is always good to share, why not start off with a favourite of yours?

finallyME
11-14-2012, 04:52 PM
There is one reviewer on youtube that I really like. nutnfancy. He is very thorough and explains his philosophy and use. That way, if his review is negative or positive, I can weigh it with regards to intended use.

Winnie
11-15-2012, 05:39 AM
Just thought of something... Could you review your Hammock and Tarp set-up?

roar-k
11-18-2012, 05:39 PM
Just thought of something... Could you review your Hammock and Tarp set-up?

I might do that, but I may be getting out of the hammock game as I am getting a few grumbles from the wife.

Camp10
11-18-2012, 06:35 PM
I think this place is a pretty good source of gear review as it is, but I like your idea of refreshing this idea in everyones mind! I look for a reviewer that has put heavy use on the item and has at least one legit complaint (after all, nothing is perfect). I want to know its strength and weight ratio (if that makes sence) and ease and comfort of use.

2dumb2kwit
11-19-2012, 01:33 AM
I think this place is a pretty good source of gear review as it is, but I like your idea of refreshing this idea in everyones mind! I look for a reviewer that has put heavy use on the item and has at least one legit complaint (after all, nothing is perfect). I want to know its strength and weight ratio (if that makes sence) and ease and comfort of use.

Are you talking about gear, or a girlfriend?
(Or, do you consider a girlfriend......gear?):munchies: