PDA

View Full Version : Had a great day fishing!

ElevenBravo
11-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Well, yesterday I went fishing with my new spincaster. Its a Shakespear Tiger. Its a long, thick & heavy rod with medium action.... and the reel is of the large variation. It did a fine job, but last night my hand and arm hurt, mostly my hand... quite a bit. Before I finished fishing, I ran into a young man which engaged in conversation with me about fishing. He had a "dainty rod & reel"... he said its a "better" setup.

So anyway, I didnt give his opinion much merit until that night when my hand was aching. So, I went to WalMart and got a Zebco 202 Slingshot ( http://www.walmart.com/ip/Zebco-202-Slingshot-Spinning-Combo/16652601 ) for $13.

So... I take my new setup back to the cove and fish for a few hours. I tried my first drop shots, ran a few Rapala lures, fished up and down the bank quite a ways.

I get home and the wife asked "How as fishing?" I said "It was great"... She asked "What did you catch?" I said "Nothing, just had a good time".

The smaller setup has a better whip action on the end and cast much easier with better accuracy, remember Im a noob at fishing too... Also I had much better feedback, I could feel the line and lure real good. And best of all, its really light so I didnt have to grip as hard to control or hold the rod.

Soooo.... I didnt catch a thing but had a good time!

Andrew

Batch
11-04-2012, 06:00 PM
The best rod and real combo I own was given to me by my brother in law. I have bought many rods and reels over the years and the best way I found to determine what is best for me is talking to people like you did today and trying out other peoples rigs and asking them what they like about them.

Glad you had fun today!