PDA

View Full Version : It's always something.........sump pump.

hunter63
10-30-2012, 01:57 PM
Spending a lot of time keeping things ready, to go, extra stuff perpped up, batteries checked, vechicals ready and fueled... mechinacl gear running.......trying to think of evetything......Then Bingo.

Got a notice from the city, wanted to check my house for a sump pump.....where I run the water, ( keep it out of sanitary sewer to prevent basement flooding).
So had to make an appointment, guys shows up, everything in order.......then I try it.... and smoke the motor.

Hasn't run much as we have been very dry, and it was old.......So I was "derning it", and the guy says, "Well it's not 2:00 am on a Sunday nite with nothing open......"

He was right....quick trip to the Menards, new pump and valve......ready now.....

It's always something......and I have to count my blessing as I watch people's houses cars, lives go washing away on the TV....as I'm putting away my tools.
You can never be "done' with your preps.........

Wildthang
10-30-2012, 02:13 PM
Spending a lot of time keeping things ready, to go, extra stuff perpped up, batteries checked, vechicals ready and fueled... mechinacl gear running.......trying to think of evetything......Then Bingo.

Got a notice from the city, wanted to check my house for a sump pump.....where I run the water, ( keep it out of sanitary sewer to prevent basement flooding).
So had to make an appointment, guys shows up, everything in order.......then I try it.... and smoke the motor.

Hasn't run much as we have been very dry, and it was old.......So I was "derning it", and the guy says, "Well it's not 2:00 am on a Sunday nite with nothing open......"

He was right....quick trip to the Menards, new pump and valve......ready now.....

It's always something......and I have to count my blessing as I watch people's houses cars, lives go washing away on the TV....as I'm putting away my tools.
You can never be "done' with your preps.........

I know how you feel Hunter. I have replaced almost everything in this place and I am still fixing things all the time! Sometimes I almost understand those condo dwellers that never have to mow the yard, or fix the toilet, but it would probably drive me crazy living in a condo with neighbors so I'll just stay on the farm and keep fixin stuff

hunter63
10-30-2012, 02:20 PM
It's enough to keep ya awake at nite.....LOL.
Went by a "farnette" the other day........had a sign on an old John Deer tractor parked in the yard.......

"Never Done Acres"............
Yeah..... No Shut

crashdive123
10-30-2012, 05:33 PM
Sure wish Menards carried my parts that stopped working.:whistling:

hunter63
10-30-2012, 06:42 PM
Looking at the new plastic pump...... I doubt it will last for 30+ years like the old one did.......Might just tear it down and see if I can get her back going....shaft locked up, motor goes off on thermal overload.

Wise Old Owl
10-30-2012, 07:08 PM
I am amazed you let the guy in! I guess I don't have the whole story... My dad really dropped the ball with his dual set up of sumps in Wilmington Delaware... I am going to get some general tune up and donate the generator to him as I do not need it anymore. If I can survive this hurricane without firing it up - he needs it more than me and I can use the money for better prepping.

hunter63
10-30-2012, 07:51 PM
Yeah, well we all kinda asked for it.
I got a letter, about pumps in the neighborhood, as the city sewer does back up from time to time.....so they actually come out and put a big pump at the corner down the street...to pump water out of the sanitary sewer down the street to a storm sewer...Our DNR outta love that.....LOL.

Anyway, as part of the deal they come out and check to see if any of the back ups are caused by the people's houses or the city....so everyone does comply to ALL the rules so we can come back on them.
Been going on for years....and it does help......Haven't had any floating doogies in a while.

Lot of people have their pumps run directly into the sanitary sewer which then overloads it, and the back ups occur.....But not around here.

I was just so odd that it decided to smoke when it was being looked at....and I would have never thought to check it as it had been running for 30 years, with no problems......LOL

Oh well.......

Wise Old Owl
10-30-2012, 08:05 PM
Ok help me out what is the difference between a sanitary sewer and a runoff drain?

Rick
10-31-2012, 08:20 AM
Sure wish Menards carried my parts that stopped working.

Clerk: "Can I help you?"
Customer: "Where are your shoulders?"
Clerk (pointing): "Isle 6 half way down on the left."
Customer: "Thanks. I don't suppose you have....never mind."
Clerk: "Isle 2"

Yeah, it's always sumthin.

Old Professor
10-31-2012, 10:18 AM
Sanitary sewer carries human waste from toilets and such. Runoff drain carries off rain water and snow melt. Pumping or dumping a sanitary sewer's contents into a runoff drain is a big enviromental No No!!

hunter63
10-31-2012, 10:55 AM
Sanitary sewer carries human waste from toilets and such. Runoff drain carries off rain water and snow melt. Pumping or dumping a sanitary sewer's contents into a runoff drain is a big enviromental No No!!

In our case storm sewers go directly to Lake Michigan, sanitary sewers go through the treatment plant first.....so an over load will directly effect the treatment process, and cause a 'dump" in to the lake.

In past lives I have always been involved with sewers in one way or the other, Class B plant operator in a small city, plating operation with acids and and heavy metals, mechanical contractor tech....so don't have a problem doing it right.

The point here was just when you think you have all your bases covered, prepped, checked, spares BOB's BOL, BOV etc., etc., something unexpected, ALWAYS bites you in the buttocks...

In this case, it was fortunate that I found out in a timely fashion that I had a problem, was able to deal with it at my leisure........even though it pizzed me off at the time, was busy with other things....The visit did point a problem, as was the intent.....

You are never "done"..................