PDA

View Full Version : Television series: Wartime Farm

grrlscout
10-29-2012, 02:44 PM
Just discovered this BBC production on YouTube. Not only is it interesting, but it covers a lot of old ways of doing things around the farm. In previous seasons, they go back quite a bit further in time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltA-5bgqTCc&feature=relmfu

Winnie
10-29-2012, 03:00 PM
Yup, it's a brilliant series. I missed the last couple episodes while over yonder, so will catch up on iplayer.

hunter63
10-29-2012, 06:08 PM
Looks like a great series.....thanks for posting....
Do farmers really wear suits and ties in the fields?

grrlscout
10-29-2012, 06:42 PM

Well it is Britain. You know they're fancier over there ;)

Rick
10-29-2012, 08:59 PM
Oh, I could get interested in this one too. Thank you.

The god's honest truth, Both my grand dads were bib wearers with felt hat and tie on a clean white shirt. Suits were for Sunday. Even a poor man would wear a suit to Sunday church. It didn't have to be clean or pressed either.

kyratshooter
10-30-2012, 01:52 AM
Well that kept me out of trouble for the rest of the night, and probably will do so for all of tomorrow also!

I love to watch academics try to recreate things they know absolutely nothing about! At least the BBC has learned to hunt down locals that know what they are doing to help.

kyratshooter
10-31-2012, 10:59 AM
I turned off the TV and watched this series all the way through. It is very interesting and a "must watch" for everyone that complains about the lack of realism, instructions and step by step directions in reality and adventure TV programing.

Yes, they made mistakes, several projects did not go right and "real farmers" would have done better. They could have picked smarter men, prettier women, better land and e3nforced actual wartime rationing, lost 25 pounds as they progressed, fallen into severe depression and made it quite real.

The most important thing one learns about lfe on a wartime farm is the control the government exerted over the people and their land. Unproductive farmers were kicked off their farms. Uncooperative farmers were jailed. Rebellious farmers (as in: no one is telling me what to do!) were shot!

While those severe controls were lifted after the war the close control of cropping and procedures was made permenent. Many of the present ag laws in both UK and U.S. date back to those war controls. If you do not think the government will walk through your door and tell you exactly what you are going to do when you wake up tomorrow just watch this series!

Not only does this series show you what rural people did under stress, it shows what modern government is willing to do to perpetuate its existance under stress. People were drafted for mine work and farm labor, refugees were billited in private homes. Livestock was slaughtered for the space it occupied and equipment and draft animals were pressed into service.

That was done here in the U.S. also an most of the laws allowing these actions are still on the books, including the "hording laws".

As a "hat guy" I also enjoyed watching the deteriation of the fedora as the year passed and that hat was exposed to rain, wind, sun, sweat and manure.

grrlscout
10-31-2012, 02:10 PM
I finished the season yesterday. Now I'm watching Edwardian Farm - working my way backwards ;)

kyratshooter
10-31-2012, 10:05 PM
I skipped he Edwardian and went straight to the Victorian farm.

The Edwardian era was so short it barely factors in except for the introduction of gas engines and some slight introduction of electricity. I will catch if latter.

This is inspiring me. I think it is time to buy a new tiller.

Winnie
11-02-2012, 05:37 AM
GS, you may also like the Victorian Pharmacy.

grrlscout
11-02-2012, 10:50 AM
GS, you may also like the Victorian Pharmacy.

Definitely. I plan on watching all the related videos, and all the Supersizers videos. But Downton Abbey keeps interfering with my educational programming. :angermanagement:

Delta 5168
11-02-2012, 09:50 PM
They also hunt grouse all gussied-up!

Delta 5168
11-02-2012, 09:53 PM
They also hunt grouse all gussied-up! I guess we'll have to wait a while till Calvin Klein brings out his Mossy Oak line.